Quality and quantity

Let us know what you think of the UK Butterflies website, and tell us something about yourself!
Adrian Hoskins

Quality and quantity

Post by Adrian Hoskins »

Hi Pete

You already know that I think ukbutterflies is one of the best websites around. Someone noted that the species descriptions still need to be done, and I will be inputting as much as you want for these.

About the only real criticism that I can make of ukbutterflies is that there are far too many images of each species - often a dozen or more shots of an adult or larva. In many cases there are several almost identical shots of a particular species, and the quality varies from excellent to substandard.

I can understand why you want to publish shots from all contributors, but I think the site would be notably improved if the number of images was reduced, using a bit of ruthless editing. Better I think to limit the pictures on the species pages to only say half a dozen high quality images of the adults, a couple of egg shots, one shot of each larval instar, and perhaps 2 or 3 of the pupa.

Perhaps the best method would be to include only the best available images in the species section, and to put the rest in a separate gallery - otherwise the site will eventually accumulate hundreds of shots of each species, which is unnecessary, and the quality of the site will deteriorate.

All the best
Adrian Hoskins
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Adrian. I agree that similar shots should be trimmed, and that the gallery facility can suffice in many cases.

I actually "upped" the number of images per stage to 20 (it was 16) in order to get as many different perspectives as possible.

Also (slightly different tack) I assume that this restriction wouldn't apply to aberrations - until we exhaust all abs!

But before we start pruning ... what do others think?

Cheers,

- Pete
Perrycornish

Post by Perrycornish »

Hello, I'm newly registered but agree on the pruning. Too many images of a single species in an ID Gallery looks bad and can also be confusing due to colour differences, in the photo, etc:) Apart of course from aberrations :)
No-One can make me feel inferior without my consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Guestbook”