Tripod head

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Bill S

Tripod head

Post by Bill S »

Hi folks

I'm after a little advice on tripod heads and am keen to hear what people's experience is of the various types. I've seen three basic types (all examples are Manfrotto)

pistol grip type of head (e.g. 322RC2)

type with a panning/tilt arm - on some models the arm also controls the head locking mechnism (not sure I can find an example) and some it's just an arm to control the head position with the locking controlled by the drag set by a separate screw controls (e.g. 390RC2)

three way head with separate arms for controlling the different axis (e.g. 808RC4)

The only type I've heard negative comments about are the pistol grip ones where, over time the resistance seems to weaken with the result that the camera no longer stays put, but I'd be very grateful to hear both good and bad experiences of the other types and if I missed out a major head type that is useful for butterfly photography.

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Bill

PS - Main use will be butterflies and fungi, so I was going to mate it with a 190 to get to low down stuff.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Tripod head

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Bill, I use a Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head, unlike the pistol grip heads, you can only tilt to the extreme in two places, a bit annoying but you get used to it. Also unlike the pistol grip you can set the friction to where you want it. Which is great, on till you forget to tighten it up, then go to pick up your tripod, and 3 kg of camera and lens swing round and crush your hand. :cry:

I think in a lot of circumstances the pistol grip it a much better system, but you are right, the life expectancy is not long. Lisa also has 700RC2, a bit like the 808RC4, its nice and smooth, but way too many knobs and handles to turn, the shroom would of shrivelled up by the time you set up.

So far I've found there is no perfect tripod head, the pistol grip type are the best to use, ( except when panning ), but wear to easily, the 808RC4 type are great if time is no issue, the ball heads are far from perfect, but would still be my choice.

Regards Gruditch
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

My tripod has a pistol grip 'joystick' clone one end and a simple ballhead the other on my Benbo Trekker, so I have the best of both worlds!

Find they both work extremely well (and wear on pistol grip is no prob, just requires the occasional tightening) - usage is usually pistol grip: landscapes, waterfalls, etc. ballhead: macros, wildlife, etc.

I've also a Benbo Mini-trekker on which I've a ballhead with seperate pan control for when I don't need to carry the full height tripod - caters well and is a good deal lighter (those pistol grip 'joysticks' weigh a ton!)
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Gruditch wrote:Hi Bill, I use a Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head, unlike the pistol grip heads, you can only tilt to the extreme in two places, a bit annoying but you get used to it. Also unlike the pistol grip you can set the friction to where you want it. Which is great, on till you forget to tighten it up, then go to pick up your tripod, and 3 kg of camera and lens swing round and crush your hand. :cry:

I think in a lot of circumstances the pistol grip it a much better system, but you are right, the life expectancy is not long. Lisa also has 700RC2, a bit like the 808RC4, its nice and smooth, but way too many knobs and handles to turn, the shroom would of shrivelled up by the time you set up.

So far I've found there is no perfect tripod head, the pistol grip type are the best to use, ( except when panning ), but wear to easily, the 808RC4 type are great if time is no issue, the ball heads are far from perfect, but would still be my choice.

Regards Gruditch
Thanks for that Gary!

Bill
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Markulous wrote:My tripod has a pistol grip 'joystick' clone one end and a simple ballhead the other on my Benbo Trekker, so I have the best of both worlds!

Find they both work extremely well (and wear on pistol grip is no prob, just requires the occasional tightening) - usage is usually pistol grip: landscapes, waterfalls, etc. ballhead: macros, wildlife, etc.

I've also a Benbo Mini-trekker on which I've a ballhead with seperate pan control for when I don't need to carry the full height tripod - caters well and is a good deal lighter (those pistol grip 'joysticks' weigh a ton!)
Thanks, they have a secondhand Benbo in my local shop - reminded me of a set of bagpipes, not intuitive on how to use it at all but would learn with a little practice.

Bill
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I've got a Benbo trekker with a large b&s head that i use for fungi. I've had it some years, and i remember going into Poole Park having just bought it, and having a practice. It took a bit of getting used to, and i still swear at it sometimes, but all and all it's fine. Although, it can be like wrestling with an arthritic spider, especially if you're rushing to beat an incoming squall. It gets really low for fungi shots,,,only trouble is, i have to get really low with it, and get up again afterwards...Grunt! :D I have never had any trouble with the b&s head, and it goes onto my monopod for butterflies. I always slacken the thumb screw when i'm not using it, to give it a rest. :lol: The other day i tried to find a short ground spike to take the b&s head. I think it might be quicker for some fungi shots, but i haven't located one yet. :(
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I use a 322RC2 on top of an 055B and have not experienced any deterioration in grip in the 5 or so years I've had it... you CAN alter the friction too, contrary to the post above. This combination is so versatile it makes using a tripod a joy - I'd guess that the anti-tripod fraternity that you'll meet have only tried cheap legs and complicated heads! :D
With Kind Regards

Chris
http://thrintoftpatch.blogspot.co.uk
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Chris, sorry I meant that with the ball head, you can undo the friction knob, sorry this isn't sounding very technical, and move the camera freely. Where as with the pistol grip, you have to keep a hand on the grip in order to move it, not easy for panning.

Lisa's 322RC2, after 3 years use is knacked, but she has probably had by some peoples standards, 10 years use.
Chris wrote:I'd guess that the anti-tripod fraternity that you'll meet have only tried cheap legs and complicated heads!
Agreed

Cheers Gruditch
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Zonda...
This may sound an odd idea, but have you tried a fishing tackle shop for the ground spike?...
A decent quality "bankstick" can be bought (various lengths available including very short ones - telescopic if needed). They also sell camera adapters which allow you to put a camera on top of the bankstick (the thread is different on a bank stick to that of a camera thread). I wouldn't want to use too long a bank stick if supporting a very heavy camera, but if the lens is well balanced over the middle of the bankstick, a medium weight lens should be OK. I hadn't thought about this until your post, but it would give you a little more height than a beanbag or similar for fungi work.
I use the set-up shown below for "self-takes" when I've caught a fish worthy of a photo (used it twice today actually :wink: ) and it is perfect for that. It will cost you £15 max for the bankstick and ("Gardiner" I think?) camera adapter.

Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Thanks all, useful discussion!

Cheers
Bill
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Trev said
This may sound an odd idea, but have you tried a fishing tackle shop for the ground spike?...
I'll certainly consider that idea, but it would probably be higher than i want. My tripod head is roughly 3ins high. I need a spike about 6ins long, with four of those in the ground. Although i have got a bean bag, i would like the extra stability, and the b&s precision. Also, i find a bean bag hampers my focusing somewhat. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

Zonda wrote:I'll certainly consider that idea, but it would probably be higher than i want. My tripod head is roughly 3ins high. I need a spike about 6ins long, with four of those in the ground. Although i have got a bean bag, i would like the extra stability, and the b&s precision. Also, i find a bean bag hampers my focusing somewhat. :D
I use my Benbo spread flat or, more usually for fungi, raised and the camera upside down - an angle finder ensures I can still see what's going on (one of my 'essential' bits of kit)!
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Mark said
I use my Benbo spread flat or, more usually for fungi, raised and the camera upside down
What i'm looking for is a quicker alternative to a trekker. The upside-down method seems very awkward, and i have laid the trekker flat in the past, but if you then need to tip the camera on its side things tend to clash. I shoot a lot of fungi in the portrait position. Just thought a short ground spike, and a b&s head would fulfill my needs. I just haven't felt the need to get a right angle finder, making do with a piece of polythene to lay on, coupled with a supple neck. As most fungi tend to be found with their gills or pores hidden, a limited amount of gardening is necessary to show these. Although, if a specimen is on the British Red Data list it should not be uprooted. :D Thanks for your thoughts Mark.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

The Manfrotto pods will splay flat, but its not a fast exercise to get there. On the lovely little tripod that Lisa, Roger and Pete have, you can move the central bar from vertical to horizontal in one swift movement. Sounds great but Lisa found the damn thing kept toppling over, so she replaced her central bar with a shorter one. Now she just splays her legs :shock:

Cheers Gruditch
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

LOL :lol: Behave,,, we'd guessed anyhow. :oops: Pete,,,where's yer box of X's,,quick!! :o
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Vixpix

Post by Vixpix »

Hi Bill, and all!! :D

I've been using a Manfrotto 055 nature with short centre post and a 141RCNAT tilt and pan head with QR plate for the past 8 years and i've found that it's up to the job for eveything i need a tripod for. This model of tripod also comes with leg clamps which means it can be used as a monopod with one leg extended and has screw down spiked feet fitted as standard too.
The 141 RC head is the standard tilt and pan head and once you get accustomed to using it, it becomes quick and easy to set up.

Before i had the Manfrotto i used a Benbo trecker with ball head and again, once you get used to the bent bar leg system its a great little tripod but i always found the ball head to be a bit of a pain, setting up meant holding the weight of the camera with one hand and locking off with the other, and it had a tendency to flop about if the tension was even slightly off, particularly with heavy lenses like the 300 f4L.
Tilt and pan heads on the other hand, can be used one handed once the pan tension is set, and with the lense balance and tilt tension just right can be manouvered by the camera grip, thereby leaving one hand free for your cuppa :D

Regards Vic.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I initially thought that that type of head, with all those knobs and handles, would be too fiddly. But as you say Vic, as you become accustomed to it, it becomes quick. If I crush my hand one more time with the ball head system, I think I may replace it with a tilt and pan head. The tripod head that is, not my hand. :D

Regards Gruditch
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I take that back on the pistol grip wear rate. Turned out it was a lose alun key bolt on Lisa's. :)

Regards Gruditch

Return to “Photography”