Spotted a female Brown Hairstreak today

Discussion forum for sightings.
Bioboy

Spotted a female Brown Hairstreak today

Post by Bioboy »

Just for the record in case this is significant. I spotted a female Brown Hairstreak today (10/9/09) just outside of Redhill, Surrey (51degrees14'09.41''N,0degrees09'23.72''W) adjacent to the nutfield road 100 metres east of the Nutfield Lodge. I saw it flying then land for a few seconds before taking off and crossing road into trees.

Cheers

Rob
Zonda

Re: Spotted a female Brown Hairstreak today

Post by Zonda »

Report it to your local BC. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Bioboy

Post by Bioboy »

Thanks, I will. Great set of pics by the way.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi,

I was lucky enough to see my first ever BH at Box Hill in Surrey a couple of weeks ago, I'll do the same.

With species like the BH, do BC monitor all known sites? Imagine finding a new site!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I've been noticing some great BH places around my area. Mature ash trees, surrounded by banks of well established, and uncut blackthorn. With all these ideal sites, i cant fathom why they are so sparse. Thankyou Bio :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I have been looking longingly at ash trees and blackthorn in close proximity all day long. At one location i observed small brownish butterflies dancing high in some ash. Noticing that some of these were occasionally dropping lower, i decided to wade through a huge bed of nettles to reach the hedge they were on. Holding my camera and monopod above my head, i stumbled through them, and was stung several times. As i approached them i slowed down, and crept the last few feet, sweating and panting in the hot sun. There were about 4 pairs in the area, could this be a new Hairstreak site? I was sure i heard those Speckled woods laughing, as i struggled back through the nettles. :oops:
I must get some binoculars. :(
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “Sightings”