Butterflys in Pillboxes

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
EagleDay

Butterflys in Pillboxes

Post by EagleDay »

Hi
Just wanted to share a wonderful image taken a while ago whilst exploring WW2 Pillboxes of the beaten track. Many i have come across house Butterflys usually attached to the ceilings and inner walls, most are of the Peacock variety and they seem to produce a very audible almost hissing noise when you first enter their shelter. :D
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Butterflys in Pillboxes

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yes, I remember when I was a kid, I was rooting around our garden shed and was frightened out of my skin by a loud hissing noise. I had no idea what it was and actually thought it was a snake. I was amazed to discover it was a peacock butterfly! I have never heard one make that noise since, but I suspect it only happens when they are disturbed whilst trying to hibernate? As the noise is made at the same time as the wings open, it seems obvious how effective a tactic this could be to ward off a predator. The butterfly in your picture is also holding its antennae close together and slightly backwards in a strange pose - I suspect the wings actually cover the antennae up when they are asleep for the winter to prevent them being damaged?

Trev
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

With Peacock Butterflies, the butterfly makes the noise with the brown hairs on the top of its uperside, near its head. When its attacked by something like a bird, it rubs these hairs and flashes it wings. It might look like or remind a bird of a cat or something to a bird, and a cat is a birds predator after all
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks for the post, Eagleday. Checking out WWII pill boxes for butterflies is something I had never considered doing but as there are plenty around here I might do it.

Return to “Sites”