Dealing with Japanese Knotweed?

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Dave McCormick

Dealing with Japanese Knotweed?

Post by Dave McCormick »

There is a patch of ground near here that I wated to plant with a few wild plants, but there is quite a bit of japanese knotweed in it, and anyone got ideas on how I could deal with it? Its been there for a few years and since I have seen bee hawkmoths and other butterflies/moths in area, I wanted to plant some butterfly/moth friendly plants to replace the knotweed as there is a lack of scabious in area, in fact I don't know how narrow-bordered bee hawkmoths actually are found here as I have not seen scabious plants around.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Zonda

Re: Dealing with Japanese Knotweed?

Post by Zonda »

You wouldn't believe the laws on japanese knotweed. Check it out on line>
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Denise

Post by Denise »

I had some Dave, and it's just a case of persevering to clear it. You may dig it all up and think that you've got it all, but in three maybe four years time, you'll have to have another go. I got rid of mine three years ago, and I'm blowed if it didn't come back this year.
Oh yes, you have to burn it as it spreads so much that it actually an offence to re-cycle! :shock:

Denise
eccles

Post by eccles »

Digging it up doesn't usually work because the roots go down really deep and you only need a little bit left for that to sprout again. Herbicides are effective but you're obviously restricted as to where you can use them. Seawater sprayed on the leaves work according to Wiki but that isn't much use if you don't live by the coast.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

eccles wrote:Digging it up doesn't usually work because the roots go down really deep and you only need a little bit left for that to sprout again. Herbicides are effective but you're obviously restricted as to where you can use them. Seawater sprayed on the leaves work according to Wiki but that isn't much use if you don't live by the coast.

I do live near coast, actually where I live used to once be underwater, why its sandy in some places here and you can find shells, and had a funny thought...I live on a farm, take the slurry tank with tractor down to the lough here, fill it up with sea water and "water the weeds" :lol: well, not serious of course, but I'll be that would find its way on news fast if someone actually did that. Anyway, I tend to disagree with herbicidies and other similar things because they can damage not just what you want to stop, but other plants/insects in area.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Dave,

I have/had (it keeps coming back) in a small patch by my front door. I too tend to disagree with herbicides but had to in this case as it was growing under the rendering on the wall. I removed all the other plants except a 10 foot high rose bush and gave it some treatment. Worked for a week but it's still coming back. (The rose bush is fine by the way).

Eccles is right, roots go down a long way and it is very satisfying pulling out a long stretch!

Not sure if they cover NI but have a look on here, it also covers the legal stuff: www.jksl.com

This firm had a van in the car park where I work, that's how I found out about them, but haven't used them myself.

Cheers
Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”