South East Spain, last week in Sept

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

South East Spain, last week in Sept

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi all,

I'm going to Spain (near Torrevieja, half hour south of Alicante) to see my dad on the 21st September and will try to get out as much as I can while I'm there. He lives in a fairly suburban area but I'm pretty sure I've seen Scarce Swallowtail and Geranium Bronze at least in his garden in the past.

Does anyone know what I may encounter on my trip or am I too late for most species? Also, can anyone recommend any good sites for that area?

Thanks in advance...

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Danny

Re: South East Spain, last week in Sept

Post by Danny »

I reckon Mallow Skipper and Long Tail Blue, maybe Lang's short tailed...but would strongly advise you to buy the tristan La Francis book for 20 quid. It really is a truely wonderful European Field guide.

Danny
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I don't know the area, but apart from the species already mentioned, I would look out for Mediterranean Skipper (dried up river beds), Pygmy Skipper and Sage Skipper (often commonest in the autumn). These days Monarch and Plain Tiger are possibles. Swallowtail and Bath White should be about. You may be just out of the range of Desert Orange-tip and Common Tiger Blue.

Misha
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks both! My trip has been pushed back a week now but still some tantalising possibilties!
Cheers
Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Overseas”