"Wrong" lenses

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Zonda

Re: "Wrong" lenses

Post by Zonda »

I had a 70-210 zoom, with a macro capability some years ago. Good lens too. :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Never had a micro nikkor though.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I wished that i had a 150mm macro yesterday, when a small copper was giving me the run around. Every time, just after focusing, but before shutter release,,,,,,it went AWOL. :(
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I seem to remember some years ago Nikon produced a macro zoom lens. I think it was 70-180mm. Of course you can end up with a macro zoom if you fit a high quality close-up lens, such as the Canon 500D (not to be confused with the camera of the same name) to a tele zoom of say 70-300mm focal length. In the right hands this combination is capable of excellent results, and you vary magnification by zooming without the need to move closer.

Misha
NickB

Post by NickB »

...the reason people buy a "prime" as opposed to "zoom" lens is that the "prime" is generally optically better than the "zoom" where some compromises on performance must be made.

...the reason people buy a "zoom" is often two-fold; for flexibility, they cover a larger range of focal lengths, so that instead of changing lenses all the time, a single lens can suffice; and price - they are generally cheaper than a "prime"

Don't get me wrong, when I say "better" the differences in image quality are often marginal; at low resolution on the Web and here at 800x800 pixels max, any differences are not really visible....
..which is GOOD. Photography is what you do with the kit...
:D
N
PS Tamron do a 55-200mm macro zoom; I and also eccles on this forum have one - see posts passim...
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
rolf

Post by rolf »

Been looking at that Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro Lens and it is on my wish list, but at more than £500 it will have to wait until next spring.:)
GsButterflies

Post by GsButterflies »

Hi Lee & Rolf,

I recently purchased the Sigma 150mm Macro, previously been using a Canon 300mm L F4 with and without the 1.4 extender. Jumped at the Macro and use it most of the time, unless I need the extra reach of the 300 combo. My main focus is Butterflies and Dragonflies, Damselflies etc. I can only get useable results from the Sigma by using a Monopod, I believe that this has improved the general standard of the images I take. Occasionally a little frustrating as it takes a few seconds to set up before taking an image, resulting in missing a few specimens.

I also have the Canon 70-200 zoom but hardly ever take it out, but after reading this thread and also looking at a few Dragonfly images on Flickr think I should give it another go.

A few examples of my images can be seen at:

www.flickr.com/photos/g_photos/

Good luck with your choices.

G
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi G,

Wow, some really really good shots on your butterfly stream. Thanks for sharing those.

Best,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Vixpix

Post by Vixpix »

Hi Folks!
Vic.
Last edited by Vixpix on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Nice one! I too have a Tamron 90mm and find it it difficult to fault! (I always use a 1.4 TC too). I have just picked-up a 2nd hand 200mm Nikkor f4 macro - and that is (marginally) sharper. Here's a dragonfly (not sure which) I took this weekend and a damselfly....
Dragonfly_1_low_MRC_23_August_2009.jpg
Damselfly_1_low_MRC_23_August_2009.jpg
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Vixpix wrote:i use a Canon 300mm f4 Lis prime lense
I occasionally use my other half's 300 F/4, a superb lens, couldn't recommend it enough. I found for butterfly work, as soon as you get used to the working distance, it was a joy to use.

Gruditch
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

I've been thinking about something longer than my Siggy 105mm for butterfly work. Maybe a 180mm. Getting too many scare-offs. Mind you, that could be down to rugged good looks. Some days it's ok, and i can approach fine, but the next day i might struggle. With smaller butterflies you have to get closer, and this intrudes upon their space, i guess. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Hi Vic.

Sorry to be a pain. I've just looked at some of your images, and would like to point out that your Brown Argus and orange flower shot is of a female Common Blue and orange flower!

Misha
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Well done Mikhail, i wondered who would spot that first. :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

would like to point out that your Brown Argus and orange flower shot is of a female Common Blue and orange flower!
Mikhail, I've only ever taken two brown argus shots, neither of these is with an orange flower. One is on marjoram, but that's pink and maroon. The others on grass, which one are you referring to? :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Vixpix

Post by Vixpix »

Mikhail wrote:Hi Vic.

Sorry to be a pain. I've just looked at some of your images, and would like to point out that your Brown Argus and orange flower shot is of a female Common Blue and orange flower!

Misha
Hi Misha

I don't have any photos of a brown argus on an orange flower!! Think you may have been looking at someone elses photos :lol:

Regards Vic
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

You as well Vic. What's going down here? Oh i see...Tiz my eyesight again. Soz Mish / Vic. :lol: I almost changed the caption too. :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

So....where is the Brown argus on the orange flower? :oops:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Vixpix

Post by Vixpix »

I think there is an image on Perfectly captured done by Mark... Mortcdz which he says is a Brown argus on an orange flower. Is this the image you are refering to Misha?
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

In that case I apologise. I thought I was looking at you pics. Just seen your latest post. Yep, that's the one.

Misha

Return to “Photography”