When and where to look for brown hairstreak eggs?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
eccles

When and where to look for brown hairstreak eggs?

Post by eccles »

As far as I can be sure without an actual photo, I'm pretty certain there are brown hairstreak at one of my local patches, Warmley Forest Park.
I know it's late in the season but I visited the same spot on four consecutive days up to today (27/09/06) and saw them flying ever day, from late morning, then disappearing by early afternoon. The ones I saw could be an unauthorised release or maybe a breeding colony. Assuming I shall continue to be unlucky and not get photographic evidence then the obvious thing to look for to establish that they are a viable colony would be eggs. Can anyone advise when and on what part of the foodpant I should look for them?
Thanks.
Danny

Post by Danny »

They're dead obvious. They are white globuals that nestle in the junctions of the top branches of Sloe bushes. Best time to look for them is in December when the leaves are gone. I know some Sussex members go out on Boxing day around the Ifield area (near Crawley) looking for eggs! Butterflying going on into the small months.

Danny
eccles

Post by eccles »

Thanks Danny. Will that be at the top of blackthorn bushes or lower down on younger growth?
Danny

Post by Danny »

The latter I seem to recall. Basically at belly height is when I've seen 'em. Sort of at the juctions of minor branches and at the junctions of the spikey bits of the Sloe Bushes, or Blackthorn if we all want to get technical. Actually I've been tempted to take a few and breed them on my allotment, which has a sloe bush.

Danny
eccles

Post by eccles »

Sounds easy enough to look for them when the leaves have gone, then. Thanks Danny.

Return to “General”