Essex Skipper

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Nigel

Essex Skipper

Post by Nigel »

I am hoping to get out with my camera sometime in the next week and would like to target Essex Skipper (if it's not too late)
Does anyone know any good sites in or close to the Midlands, for these please?
live in Leicestershire, and whilst I am willing to travel for a couple of hours if need be, the closer the better.
Any tips on any sites and what else I might encounter at these sites would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Nigel
www.nigelspencer.co.uk
m_galathea

Re: Essex Skipper

Post by m_galathea »

Hi Nigel, I'm not particularly familiar with butterflies in the Midlands, although I did see a couple of Essex Skippers in Austrey at the end of July. I reckon they'll still be on the wing now. I may be able to check and post back here for you as I'm in Austrey this weekend.

Austrey Meadows is a series of small meadows in Warkwickshire (SK289053). It's not exactly a wildlife hotspot unless you compare it with the enormous fields of crops that surround it - more of local interest than anything else. Consider it a bit of a last resort if you're desperate to see lineola! I've seen 20 species there this year: Brimstone, Brown Argus, Comma, Essex Skipper, Gatekeeper, Green-veined White, Holly Blue, Large Skipper, Large White, Meadow Brown, Orange-tip, Painted Lady, Peacock, Red Admiral, Ringlet, Small Copper, Small Skipper, Small Tortoiseshell, Small white and Speckled Wood.

Good luck

Alexander
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Alexander many thanks.

yes I am keen to go to Austrey if there is a chance of some Essex Skipper pics as an online search shows it o only be 30 miles from where I live. Any info about recent sightings posted early next week would be a great bonus Many Thanks Nigel
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

I think Nigel you are going to be a little too late unfortunately.

I had a look around today and did not see any skippers in the meadows although it was windy. I did find a single Essex Skipper in the garden though which was on its last legs and had a missing forewing.
essex Skipper hillcroft.jpg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Thanks very much for tsking the trouble to look and post a few comments and pictures.
Cheers Nigel

Return to “Sites”