Second Broods

Discussion forum for sightings.
pearsoda

Second Broods

Post by pearsoda »

Hi Folks,

Having seen a Dinghy Skipper during the BC walk at Stockbridge Down (Hants.) last Sunday made me wonder if it was a year for unexpected second broods. Are there any more appearing around the country?

Dave.
Picture 123.jpg
Last edited by pearsoda on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Second Broods

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi all,

Another second brood question....all of the books I've read say that Orange Tips can have a second partial emergence in good years but in 20 years of watching I've never seen one.

Has anyone ever seen a second brood OT?

Thanks

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Lee H wrote:Hi all,

Another second brood question....all of the books I've read say that Orange Tips can have a second partial emergence in good years but in 20 years of watching I've never seen one.

Has anyone ever seen a second brood OT?

Thanks

Lee
I saw second brood OTs in mid-lat August in 2007 when I was at a country park about 6-7 miles from where I live, did not see any females, only males and even then there was only a few. I don't think I saw any last year though.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

I've just received a 'second-hand' report that an orange tip was seen in Norfolk yesterday!
Alex
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Blimey, so they do exist!
I'll keep my eyes open...thanks both.
Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Dave,
I see the odd second brood Dingy Skipper every year on warm, coastal sites in Sussex. The warmest, south or southwest facing sites will produce these consistently. Similarly, species such as Wall Brown will go to three broods, whereas north facing sites only a couple of miles away will be restricted to two. Some species, such as Duke of Burgundy, will only VERY rarely produce second brood individuals. This famously occurred at Noar Hill in August 2007, although another male DoB was seen last week in Gloucestershire.
Neil
GsButterflies

Post by GsButterflies »

Another 2nd Brood Dingy Skipper.

A visit to Badminston Common near Fawley in the New Forest with Paul and Helen Brock yesterday 11th August.

A very surprised Helen found a 2nd Brood Dingy Skipper, an even bigger surprise as Dingy Skipper is not currently been reported from this area in the New Forest. We can't wait to visit again next year to survey the extent of the colony.

Poor image attached.
Attachments
Dingy Skipper ~ 2nd Brood
Dingy Skipper ~ 2nd Brood

Return to “Sightings”