A good Clouded yellow year?

Piers

Re: A good Clouded yellow year?

Post by Piers »

I certainly concur in the case of Camberwell Beauty; females migrate unmated for the reason given by Misha, driven by population metrics. With regard to Clouded Yellow movements, I suspect that migration in this species is a more complex affair with a number of drivers. If they were to migrate solely to secure a suitable breeding environment then one would surely expect to see a significant southerly migration?

This is a very interesting topic. Misha - are you aware of any recent research on Clouded Yellow migration?

Felix.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Complete novice asking....What is their chosen habitat? If it's a good year i have to get pics of it. :?:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Denise

Post by Denise »

:mrgreen: My garden today.
IMG_2775 (Large).JPG
Denise
Denise
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Nice one, Denise!

Thanks Felix and Misha. Obviously, I am aware most most Camberwell beauties hibernate unmated and that all the territorial and mating behaviour happens in the spring - I'm lucky enough to live somewhere where I can observe this. I have no doubt you are right, but my question comes from the observation that there are clearly two different things CBs do when they emerge in the summer. Some must go very rapidly into hibernation. I say that because typically one does not see the summer brood at the breeding sites, yet they obviously hibernate there, as they are numerous in the early spring. On the other hand, one does see the summer brood well away from the breeding sites - I was buzzed by one this July at 2000m on my local mountain, 30km away from the nearest colony known to me. My (pure) speculation was that perhaps some females emerge and mate, if the population density is high enough. These then disperse rather than go straight into hibernation. However, if you know of no evidence for this, I'm sure it doesn't happen!!

Zonda: immigrant clouded yellows may be seen almost anywhere, but they do enjoy nectaring (so flowery gardens and meadows are good) and they generally prefer flowery grassland to woods or scrub. Most years, the trick is not so much to be in the right habitat but to be relatively near the point of entry - once they spread out through the country you are obviously less likely to come across one. In 'clouded yellow years' it doesn't really matter where you are - you will see some!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

The colony of Clouded Yellows at Ouse Estuary Nature reserve is on a plateau artificially built up from building waste . 2 years ago it was completely devoid of vegetation - as can be seen by looking at the Google Map of the site taken a couple of years ago . Now there is no grass but many wild plants and flowers including clover and bird's foot trefoil ( well colonised by Common Blues ) . The numbers are down slightly on previous weeks , my transect counts Monday to Friday being - 3 , 1 , 5 , 6 , 1 . Tuesday and Friday were rather dull and cloudy , the other days nice and sunny . One form helice was seen on Wednesday but not Thursday .
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Felix, you may well be right that there is more to Clouded Yellow migration than I suggested, but I can't agree with your suggestion that there is no southward migration in the autumn. Have a look at what Jeremy Thomas says in Thomas and Lewington p38.

Guy, you have the advantage of me where Camberwell Beauties in Switzerland are concerned. In Greece it seems that butterflies emerging at low level in mid June then fly up into the mountains, where I think they may aestivate for a while. If you can find larvae in August or September, then I'll believe in a partial second generation. I'm sure there is much to be learnt. It's difficult to keep tabs on such mobile species.

Denise, I'm jealous. What a lovely surprise for you.

Misha
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

But,,,they're not in my butterfly haven yet. Everything else is,,,well except for some Red Admirals. My garden is a south facing slope, on chalk downland, planted for butterflies.
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “General”