Two odd blues and a small heath

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
TimBergel

Two odd blues and a small heath

Post by TimBergel »

Went for a walk along devils ditch today and saw eight species including a clouded yellow. Two of the common blues were aberrant forms, I think. Am I correct?

Is there a tendency for aberrant forms late in the year, does anybody know? We also saw a lot of small heaths which was fun so here is one

and just to round off the day a clouded yellow, though needless to say we had no chance of photographing that....
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The first blue looks like a common blue female, and the second looks like a chalkhill blue?

I like the small heaths, cute little things!

Nice photos too :-)
Wayne
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I think the second photo is also a female Common Blue, albeit a very unusual one! I say this because the white fringes aren't intersected by black bands, as they are in both Adonis and Chalkhill Blue.

Cheers,

- Pete
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Aha! good call Pete, perhaps indeed it is an abberation of the Common Blue then?
Wayne
TimBergel

Post by TimBergel »

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad I can get photos worth showing with my rather more limited kit...

I'm really glad it wasn't a Chalkhill blue (though it would have been nice to see one) as I would have been embarrassed not to identify that. The black bands in the fringe are useful to identify Chalkhill and Adonis blues aren't they?
Danny

Post by Danny »

Chalkhills are dead easy to ID. They're silvery and big. The females are particulary dark I think, but it's the size that I notice.

Adonis are Blue. Like I mean, really blue, not purply blue like common blues. After a while I think you get an eye for them. Females look like brown versions of the males. Personally I think it's the chequered edge that's gives the game away.

I actually find the hardest one to distingush is the silver studded, but then that's just me I spose.

Danny

Return to “Photography”