What happened to the Black Veined White?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Danny

What happened to the Black Veined White?

Post by Danny »

Has anybody ever tried to reintroduce this species? I understand it was once a native? Where's the nearest place to the UK it inhabits? I take it that the UK species was a sub-species all on it's own?

What happened to it? Why is it dead?

Danny
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

This species is known for the extreme fluctuations in population size and, to be frank, I've not come across any explanation of this. But this was, apparently, the ultimate cause of its demise when the population dipped below a sustainable level.

The nearest place to see this critter is in France, although someone else would have to give you more precise info!

The individuals in the UK were not a separate subspecies. The taxonomy info at

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/taxonomy.php

may help.

If there have been any reintroduction attempts (and there have been several unoffocial attempts) then they've all failed.

Cheers,

- Pete
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I believe that the larvae can be a pest on plum trees, which is one reason why no official attempt has been made to reintroduce it.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

That's a good point Matsukaze!

I guess the same goes for Geranium Bronze. I'd love to see an official introduction, but DEFRA might have something to say about that (and many gardeners!).

Cheers,

- Pete
Danny

Post by Danny »

I'd be quite happy to sacrifice the plum in order to see the BVW. Just eat apples instead...or apricots....or damsons.

Danny
eccles

Post by eccles »

By all accounts they weren't a serious pest in the UK despite being so in mainland Europe.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The Black-veined White appears to have shared a species of parasitic wasp with the Large White. It would be interested to know if periods of abundance for the Large White (and therefore the wasp) correlate with slumps in population for the Black-veined.

Return to “General”