Unusual Fly in my garden today

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Cotswold Cockney

Unusual Fly in my garden today

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

A few fresh Painted Ladies in the garden today ~ larger than those immigrants seen a couple of months ago. Whilst watching those, feeding avidly on the same B.davidii flowers was a large fly of a kind I have never seen in over sixty years of observing things natural. Impossible to get a picture on the flowers so I carefully placed a clean Jam Jar over it, placing that in the 'fridge to allow it to settle down quietly. Here it is :~

My reference books are all stored away as the house is stripped to allow the whole central heating system to be replaced. So, I'm currently unable to ID this insect which when I first spotted it, I thought it was a fine example of impressive voluchella (?sp.) but, I do not think it is that species which I have often seen in my small back garden. Most of the plates in my copy of The Flies of the British Isles I am familiar with but, my memory cannot recall one which looks like this species. So, anyone able to ID this fly for me please.... I'd really like to know what it is. The large head with the distinctive yellow central area is strikingly noticeable.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Mikhail

Re: Unusual Fly in my garden today

Post by Mikhail »

Very nice. That's the Hornet hoverfly (Volucella zonaria). This huge fly has been extending its range in recent years. It used to be found mainly on the south coast and the London area. I once saw 14 on a single small Hebe. You will probably see more in future. I'm not sure if it has been reported from Gloucestershire before.

Misha
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I've just looked at the distribution map on the nbn gateway. It seems to be well established in the Bristol area.

Misha
Cotswold Cockney

Mikhail wrote:I've just looked at the distribution map on the nbn gateway. It seems to be well established in the Bristol area.

Misha
Thank you ~ my humble pocket Digital Camera struggles with close ups and does not do this magnificent Fly justice.

Totally new to me in over 60 years of observations. It's of a similar size to the 'largest' British fly ~ a horse fly ~ which I frequently see on my woodland travels including my own little nature reserve ~ as a plate from my aged reference book shows. Can give you a nasty nip too ~ but, the 'Hornet Fly' appears to be a nectar feeder from my single observation :~

That distribution you mention, is there a www location for it?

Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

http://www.searchnbn.net, then just type in a species name in the search.

Misha
Denise

Post by Denise »

Oh yes, I get them in my garden on the outskirts of Bristol, and did last year too.

Denise
Denise
Cotswold Cockney

Mikhail wrote:
http://www.searchnbn.net, then just type in a species name in the search.

Misha
Many thanks for that Misha.
Denise wrote:
Oh yes, I get them in my garden on the outskirts of Bristol, and did last year too.

Denise
Hmmm ... interesting .... about 30 miles from Gloucester as the fly flies ...:).... a doddle for this species I would guess.

Edit to add @ 22:45

For those not familiar with this magnificent Hoverfly ( harmless by the way ) I trawled for an image to show it's size when compared to something we are all more familiar with ~ one of our most beautiful butterflies: The Peacock:~

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi all,

Since coming across this thread last week I've seen 3 of these... 1 in Hounslow and 2 in Greenford, both in Middlesex.

Best regards

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Identification”