Brimstones and a question

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
TimBergel

Brimstones and a question

Post by TimBergel »

Hello all I've just joined ...

I thought my butterfly photos were really special until I saw all the stuff here!

Last Sunday (the 10th) I was at Wicken Fen and found a large group of apparently newly hatched Brimstones. Unlike the usual behaviour for this species (= always flying in my experience), they were spending most of their time feeding - I ended up taking >100 shots in the blazing sun. Here are two of my favourites:

I hope you like them.

Now for the question - I am having trouble seeing images in the forums. Sometimes they are there OK, in other posts they simply don't show! Most frustrating. I am using Firefox 1.5.0.6 as a browser but don't have any weird settings or heavy security. Any suggestions?

Sorry I know this probably isn't the best place for this question, but I couldn't find anything obviously better.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Tim - and welcome!

There may be a simple explanation for the image issue. Most images are posted using the free hosting facility from PostImage.org. However, if a given image isn't accessed within a given time period, then it is deleted.

So - I'd be interested in the date of postings you're having trouble with.

And I think your photos look great!

Cheers,

- Pete
TimBergel

Post by TimBergel »

Pete,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't think it's a date issue - it seems quite random. For example, in 'identification', I can't see the first two posts from Sept 10th, but I can see the third one from Tricky on Sept 7th.

I can't see my own brimstone photos (rats), nor the next four sets of images in 'Photographs'. I seem to be able to see all of the photos posted by Oy though.

This makes me wonder if it's a picture format problem, maybe with JPEG images. Are Oy's photos in a different format perhaps?

Incidentally, don't have any problems with images except in the forums, so it's not a complete software failure but something more subtle.

I'm glad you like my photos - I will be entering the competition.

Tim
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Tim,

The difference with Oy's images is that they are placed directly in the message, rather than using the PostImage.org capability. It sounds like you can't access these images. For example, can you see either of the following?:

http://upload4.postimage.org/1113232/P9103647.jpg

http://upload4.postimage.org/1113232/photo_hosting.html

These are the thumbnail and main image of your first photo. If you can't see these, then it could be a personal firewall that's preventing access to PostImage.org. If you can see them, then it's probably a firewall issue (again) to do with the interaction between UK Butterflies and PostImage.org. I've tried your posts with Firefox and all is OK!

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

- Pete
TimBergel

Post by TimBergel »

Pete,

Thanks for the information and links. They helped me to find and fix the problem really quickly - it was my firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) which had decided to block banner ads on your site. So I told it you were OK and all is well.

What an incredible collection of high-grade images people are taking! I've been getting my pictures with a compact digital (Olympus C770UZ) which is lovely and small but I may have to upgrade ...

All the best,
Tim
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for letting me know Tim, and I'm glad that all is well!

I know what you mean about some of the shots that get posted. Personally, I take inspiration from them!

For info - I started my digital "era" with an Olympus 2040Z 4 years ago. Some of those are still on this website!

I'm also a firm believer that it's not the camera that gets those great shots ... but the photographer. So take heart!

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “Photography”