Not found in black and white

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
amr

Not found in black and white

Post by amr »

I can't call myself a butterfly (or moth) enthusiast, just someone who likes watching wildlife, and I can't really say why I photographed this particular beastie
P1130123.jpg
but it's probably because unlike most of the other butterflies around on the day, it actually stayed still and allowed me to get close.
The problem started when I got home and tried to identify it. Nothing in my (basic) guide book or on the web matches; the closest resemblance is Grizzled Skipper, which would be about right for size, but not for the detailed pattern or the habitat. The latter is at Netherfield Lagoons to the east of Nottingham, and area of former gravel and slurry pits which you can see on the link. The precise location is on the embankment in the centre of the view, and the general habitat looks like this
P1130115.jpg
generally long grass (as on the image of the specimen itself) with a variety of scrub vegetation including brambles and various vetches.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

I'm also including an image of a specimen which made me look twice when I first saw it in flight, as it was so pale. Fortunately it settled and i was able to photo it - simply a very pale Painted Lady. Is this a normal variant or something unusual?
P1130116.jpg
JKT

Re: Not found in black and white

Post by JKT »

The moth is Chiasmia clathrata and the Vanessa cardui is simply old, worn and faded. The moth seems to be very common at least in Finland and Spain. I doubt it is rare in-between either. :)
amr

Post by amr »

@JKT
Thanks, just the job.
Inachisio

Post by Inachisio »

Semiothissa clathrata and Vanessa cardui.

Return to “Identification”