June 2009 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: June 2009 Sightings

Post by Pete Eeles »

NickB wrote:Went to Buxton Heath Norfolk this morning for SSB. Thanks to Angie for directions :D ; exactly where you said they would be...and they were reasonably well-behaved since it remained overcast most of the time. (Didn't make taking pictures any easier - had to use higher ISO's and lower f-stops to achieve an acceptable speed). Cute little things!
...good work by everyone this month in this thread :)
N
Nice shots Nick. I've seen loads of SSB photos where the female has an unusual amount of blue on the forewings. I've been taking note of this phenomenon since Colin Baker sent me some photos from Cornwall several years ago where the female has massive amounts of blue on it - and yet this colony isn't regnognised in any literature that I've read. I've come to the conclusion that the subspecies distribution isn't as clear cut as some would suggest - it would be great if someone could do a study into this!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Gruditch wrote:Took the Parents out to Bentley today, for there first taste of Butterflying. I think they were suitably impressed, if they weren't, then they bleeding well should of been. For not only did we see 14 species, amongst them were a sparkling brand new Painted Lady, 2 Valesina form Silver-washed Fritillary, and a obliterae form White Admiral ( I think :?: ).
sorry about the quality of the pics, I was just happy snapping with the 100-400 today. Cheers Gruditch
Flippin' 'eck Gary - I suggest you get a lottery ticket before the end of the day!!! Would it be OK to use the White Admiral image on the main species pages?

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Shirley Roulston wrote:Sunday lunch for a Green-Veined White and Small White caterpillars.
DSC05430 (Small).JPG
DSC05419 (Small).JPG
Shirley
I'm sure you know this Shirley - but the second shot is a Large White larva.

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

romansnumber7 wrote:Very poor image but wanted to confirm the ID and that is is a High Brown.
Yep - definitely a male High Brown Fritillary. Out of interest - where was this taken?

Cheers,

- Pete
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Course you can, no need to ask, I forgot to send the SPB ab, so just take that, if you already haven't. :D

Gruditch
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Wandered Southwater Woods this morning and found two Purple Emperors in the same tree. These two seemed to be feeding on sap on the trunk on a large isolated tree in what I believe is Middle Wood, unsure as not familier with the site. Both appeared to be males were often side by side and did not move away from the tree the whole time I was there, at least two hours. They never came down to the ground which is why I stayed with them so long which was frustrating though with with tree sap to feed on thats not surprising. Image attached is not the best but they are together. Also seen around the wood, 8 Silver-washed Fritillaries, 9+ White Admirals, 2 Comma, many Ringlets and Meadow Browns, a female Purple Hairstreak in the sallow beneath the Emperor tree, and several Small and Large Skippers.

Cissbury Ring early during the afternoon had 10+ Dark-green Fritillaries, most highly mobile, 5 Painted Ladies including one in good nick, 20+ Marbled Whites, 3 Large Whites, a worn Common Blue, 8 Small Heath, 2 Small White, 12+ Small Skippers, 2 Small Tortoiseshell, 4 Small Copper, several Large Skippers, 2 Red Admirals, many Meadow Browns, numerous Cinnabars and a Hummingbird Hawk Moth
Attachments
Purple Emperors Southwater Woods West Sussex 280609 122.jpg
Last edited by SteveA on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pete,
Of course you may use the ab. shot. Got some good stuff coming later tonight!
Neil
eccles

Post by eccles »

This is my first small skipper sighting of the year today at Raven's Rock, Golden Valley Reserve, Wick near Bristol. I found several elms but still no WLH although they're listed on the info board at the reserve entrance. :(
Attachments
DSC08565.jpg
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

WLHS, May be able to sort that out Friday too :D

Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

Pete Eeles wrote: ,,,, I've seen loads of SSB photos where the female has an unusual amount of blue on the forewings. I've been taking note of this phenomenon since Colin Baker sent me some photos from Cornwall several years ago where the female has massive amounts of blue on it - and yet this colony isn't regnognised in any literature that I've read. I've come to the conclusion that the subspecies distribution isn't as clear cut as some would suggest - it would be great if someone could do a study into this!
Cheers,
- Pete
It is interesting to note that at Buxton, some were almost without any blue scales (bar a few sprinkled at the base of the top wing), whereas you can see by the one I posted, others were quite dowdy in comparison. ...five (I think) different females...N
SSB_F_1_low.jpg
SSB_F_2_low.jpg
SSB_F_3_low.jpg
SSB_F_4_low.jpg
SSB_F_5_low.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi All,
I've run loads of field outings for Butterfly Conservation over the years - but I don't remember any going quite as well as the trip to Botany Bay yesterday (Sussex/Surrey borders). The meeting started at 9 am, so I put some of my rancid 'Hau Loc' belachan down at 8.55 am. At 8.58 am a pristine male Purple Emperor descended to sample the smelly shrimps, and allowed everyone to get close-up views and photographs. From then on it just got better and better, with a total of 7 scale-perfect males on the ground during the 9 am - 12 pm period of the 'official' trip. Some individuals came to ground more than once and at one point I CAREFULLY teased one off a dog poo with my finger. Quite a few people stayed on for the afternoon, during which we had another (different) PE on the deck, and a nice male Purple Haistreak down low. Lots of lovely White Admirals and Silver-washed Fritillaries played a supporting role. Butterflying doesn't get much better than this! :D
Neil
P1090576_edited-2.jpg
P1090537_edited-2.jpg
P1090588_edited-2.jpg
P1090639_edited-1.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil

I should give up that thought of a new camera – it wouldn’t take better pictures than these. Superb shots.

No. Instead use the money to get a car that works :lol:

Jack
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi All,
I've run loads of field outings for Butterfly Conservation over the years - but I don't remember any going quite as well as the trip to Botany Bay yesterday (Sussex/Surrey borders). The meeting started at 9 am, so I put some of my rancid 'Hau Loc' belachan down at 8.55 am. At 8.58 am a pristine male Purple Emperor descended to sample the smelly shrimps, and allowed everyone to get close-up views and photographs. From then on it just got better and better, with a total of 7 scale-perfect males on the ground during the 9 am - 12 pm period of the 'official' trip. Some individuals came to ground more than once and at one point I CAREFULLY teased one off a dog poo with my finger. Quite a few people stayed on for the afternoon, during which we had another (different) PE on the deck, and a nice male Purple Haistreak down low. Lots of lovely White Admirals and Silver-washed Fritillaries played a supporting role. Butterflying doesn't get much better than this! :D
Neil
P1090576_edited-2.jpg
P1090537_edited-2.jpg
P1090588_edited-2.jpg
P1090639_edited-1.jpg
Stunning shots. Ian
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Kicking myself for not attending the Botany Bay walk now, great shots.
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Went around the golf course in Nefyn, masses of Large Skippers, Meadow Browns and very tatty Painted Ladies, lots of caterpillars of the Painted Lady butterflies on the Thistle plants and I just saw this Chrysalis on a stem of grass, I've search the front pages to identify it but I have no idea which it is. Its a pity around here I've walked for miles to see butterflies, the flowers are out in full bloom and the sun is warm to boiling but the variety is just down to a few species. Pity really.
Oh, I did see a Six-spotted Burnet which I put on the other page, enjoyed watching that.
Shirley
DSC05489 (Medium).JPG
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Funny you should mention Six-spot Burnet, Shirley, because this is the cocoon of this species (not the chrysalis, which is inside this cocoon).

http://www.ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4190

Cheers,

- Pete
Polly

Post by Polly »

Butterflying doesn't get much better than this! :D
Neil
Fabulous images Neil... why, oh why, did I decide to go to Kent to see Heath Fritillary instead? :?: :!: Silly me :cry:

Polly
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Neil
P1090576_edited-2.jpg
P1090537_edited-2.jpg
P1090588_edited-2.jpg
P1090639_edited-1.jpg
So nice to see a PE that isn't on poo :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Pete wrote:
Yes, that would have been a really cr*p picture.

Jack
eccles

Post by eccles »

jackharr wrote:Pete wrote:
Yes, that would have been a really cr*p picture.

Jack
:lol:

I visited Clanger Wood with Jerry today for SWF and WA. We saw both species but no SWF females were out yet, so no valesinas. Photos were very difficult in such hot weather - they would either not settle or instead would siesta in the treetops. One WA was trying to 'puddle' on the dry footpath, presumably because it had succeeded earlier today after overnight rain. I'm sure it would have appreciated a bit of poo.

Return to “Sightings”