Lake District Butterflies and wildlife

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
sandraandkevin

Lake District Butterflies and wildlife

Post by sandraandkevin »

Having seen 2 new species for us this year- Chequered Skipper and Large Blue, we are thinking of going to the Lake District/ Cumbria for a week from 6th July.

We have left it a bit late for accomodation but we are not fussy. Will Mountain Ringlet and Large Heath still be around and will High Brown be out at Arnside Knott (I have always wanted to go there).

Any suggestions on the best butterfly sites would be welcome.

Thanks

Kevin
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Lake District Butterflies and wildlife

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Kevin,

I made the same trip in 2007 on 9th-11th July looking for the same species.

I am not an expert on the area because that was my only visit, but I would say that all of the species should still be on the wing. I had accomodation close to Warton Crag but found the terrain to be very difficult and the numbers of butterflies to be low. I definately recommend that you go direct to Arnside Knott and proceed to the top of the hill. There should be lots of High Browns mixed in with Dark Greens and it is the only place I have ever been to where the fritillaries outnumber Meadow Browns. You may also see a few Northern Brown Argus. In 2005 there were also Scotch Argus flying by 12th July but this was exceptionally early.

I visited Meathop Moss for Large Heath on 11th July 2007 and saw 7 or 8. The Moss is at SD445815 off the A 590 on the road to Ulpha. Park on the western side of the road under the big Oak tree. The access track skirts a boggy field full of sedge and then through some coniferous woodland before opening out onto the boardwalk which runs into the middle of the Moss. I suggest wellington boots in case you have to go "off piste".

I also tried for Mountain Ringlet at Three Shire Stones, Wrynose Pass, but was beaten by the weather. From what I have found out since, it seems that it may be better to try Fleetwood/Honister Pass, parking at the slate quarry on the B5289 (NY225135). Details were posted about 6 weeks ago I think, but if you cannot find them I can pass them on.

I have an accommodation guide which I picked up when I was there which lists a lot of places around the RSPB Leighton Moss nature reserve. This seemed to be a good place to have a base. I can post you a copy if you PM your address to me.

I am actually thinking of making the same trip on the same dates but will be leaving it to the last minute to decide depending on the weather forcast. In any event I hope you have a good trip and look forward to your report.

Regards,

Vince
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Vince, Kevin

My wife and I are to make the same pilgrimage on the 12th July to Arnside, Gaitbarrows and Meathorp Moss looking for Northern Brown Argus, Scotch Argus(?) Large Heath and the HBF. We are planning to stay south of Kendal but if you have any advice I would be grateful - the Mountain Ringlet would also be a real win.

Vince your blog has already been of help - thanks

Mike
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Hi Vince,

Thank you very much for your very helpful reply.

We have now arranged our accomodation but thank you for your offer of the accomodation guide.

We are now having to go a week later due to work commitments, so lets hope we all get kind weather.

Thanks again

Kevin
hammer

Post by hammer »

I visited Arneside Knott on the 20th - 22nd June.I did not come across any high brown frits, just one northern brown argus and several small heaths.I visited Gaitbarrows hoping to see some, still none but three DG frits.I also visited whitbarrow woods nature reserve and saw 1SW frit, several DG frits and many SPB frits.
The weather was a big let down, overcast with no sun which attributed to the missing high browns.

Colin.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks for that Colin,

If I go on my trip on 6th July I should be back in time to submit a report before the others go away.

It would be good to hear if anyone else has some first hand reports also.

Cheers,

Vince
web4160

Post by web4160 »

I visited Arnside Knott on the way back from a work engagement in North Lancashire this evening. I saw a number of fritillaries which I will post of the Identification Forum to see if anyone can work out whether they are High Brown or Dark Green. (It was very windy and impossible to get shots of their undersides).

In addition I saw 3 Painted Lady, 1 Red Admiral, 5+ Gatekeeper, 10+ Meadow Brown, 3 Grayling and my first Scotch Argus of the year.
Attachments
DSC01456(1).JPG
DSC01474.JPG
DSC01492.JPG

Return to “Sites”