Large Blue in the news !

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Sylvie_h

Large Blue in the news !

Post by Sylvie_h »

Interesting article in the Guardian today :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... -butterfly
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Large Blue in the news !

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Sylvie.

I was lucky enough to receive an invitation from Jeremy Thomas to attend the "Large Blue Party" that celebrated this extraordinary event today. Meeting so many movers and shakers in the conservation world was very humbling and inspiring.

I've posted an item on the UKB home page that provides links to the press releases.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Large Blues ~ Hmmm, that reminds me. Last month, I attended a 'Mothing Night' arranged by my long standing entomologist friend who has the contract to maintain the superb area known as Stratford Park on the Painswick side of Stroud in Gloucestershire. He is also curating the insect collection in the local Museum where the collection of the late Austin Richardson is now kept. He also put on a small display of various Natural History items including a display drawer of Gloucestershire Blue Butterflies from the Richardson collection. Here it is:~

I was a little disappointed at the quality of these speciemns ~ actually the setting of them. Maybe less attention to the butterflies as his main interest was the Moths....

One of the links on that Guardian site shows a dozen most endangered species. I find that a little puzzling as four on that list breed in my own little Nature Reserve. From my own observations, other species on the list are doing quite nicely and some are spreading locally. Here I include the Wood White which is present in at least two local woodlands where it was never present in the 1950-60-70s. I have several times seen this species 'migrating' along hedgerows far removed from its usual habitat. Indeed one such passed through my front garden some years ago.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Lovely :roll:

Pete, did you see whats-his-name about next year, bet you bottled :?:

Gruditch
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

What's-his-name wasn't there - will need to follow plan B :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Did we have a plan B :D

Gruditch
eccles

Post by eccles »

@Cotswold Cockney, where in Gloucestershire can one find wood white? That's one of my target species as I've never seen one.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Eccles, the Wood White is found in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire; the species has been recorded there from the 1970s.

Also, CC you must live in a very good area for Wood Whites to see them doing well... according to the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology they declined by a very large 66% from 2007-2008.
Cotswold Cockney

To my certain knowledge, L.sinapis occurs in several Gloucestershire woods outside the vast confines of the Forest of Dean where it also occurs. I have seen it in adjoining counties including Worcs, Gwent, Hfds, Oxon as well as in other counties such as Northants and Bucks. Several times I have seen flying slowly in a determined fashion along roadside hedges far removed from it's woodland habitats. It is easily overlooked. Only once have I seen it doing that in my 'own' county when one passed through my front garden. It was a positive ID as I netted and relased it to ensure it was not and undersized G.V. or S. White passing through.

I am delighted to report that it now occurs in two of my favourite woods not many miles from Gloucester City centre which I knew even better as a boy in the 1950s when it was never seen.

Here's schoolboy me in one of those 1950s habitats where it now occurs but did not then,.... :)

A woodland form of the Greyling was there in the 1950s. I have not seen one there in the meantime for over fifty years.
eccles

Post by eccles »

Thanks for the replies, both. I guess I'm a little late for this year's WW appearance now. Next year, maybe. Does anyone have landranger grid references?
Thanks again,
Mike.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

You have got a Chance with the second brood Eccles.

Gruditch
eccles

Post by eccles »

Thanks Gary. Do all areas have two broods?
Cotswold Cockney

eccles wrote:
Thanks for the replies, both. I guess I'm a little late for this year's WW appearance now. Next year, maybe. Does anyone have landranger grid references?
Thanks again,
Mike.
Not quite too late yet for the Forest of Dean (FoD). Log on to The Gloster Birder and check the "Sightings 2009 Jan-June" entry for Sat 20th June 2009:~
Saintlow Inclosure

I have seen them fresh and worn in July in my favourite Glos wood. This insect is easily overlooked in the FoD ~ likely to be present in any suitable habitat ~ and there's a lot of that in the FoD to explore.

Also seen that day near Cheltenham by another Gloster Birder I'm delighted to report.
A small movement of Scarlet Tigers SE through Naunton Park early evening.
This beautiful moth is widespread in Glos.
eccles

Post by eccles »

there's a lot of that in the FoD to explore
Thanks CC, but given the distance from Bristol and the huge size of the FoD, not to mention the bridge toll, it's not really practical unless there are confirmed locations where there's a good change of seeing the butterfly.
Piers

Post by Piers »

Hi Eccles,

You could head south instead; the undercliffs between Seaton and Lyme Regis support strong colonies and second broods are generally good in this locality (although never as strong as the first brood).

Felix.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

I would definately recommend the East Devon coast - having lived there I know it much better than the FoD which I have only been to twice...

Superb diversity of plants too, and for anyone who has the inclination to find Chalkhill Blue colonies on cliff faces then it is your number one spot :!:
HookenPano2.JPG
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Pete Eeles wrote:Thanks Sylvie.

I was lucky enough to receive an invitation from Jeremy Thomas to attend the "Large Blue Party" that celebrated this extraordinary event today. Meeting so many movers and shakers in the conservation world was very humbling and inspiring.

I've posted an item on the UKB home page that provides links to the press releases.

Cheers,

- Pete
My report is now at:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/reports_ ... eparty.php

and will be announced to subscribers once it's been formally approved by Jeremy Thomas (although it's already linked to from the home page!). Enjoy!

Cheers,

- Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

Thanks for the suggestions all. But these are all quite a round trip from Bristol so a grid reference would be essential as I wouldn't have much time for exploring. Lyme Regis is probably the best chance of doing a day trip. Any hot spots with grid references Felix?
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Thank you Pete for the report. I really enjoyed reading it.
It is encouraging to see that thanks to the work of conservation and serious research, we are starting to learn more about our past mistakes, I just hope that it is not to late!!
Sylvie

Return to “General”