Burton Leonard Lime Quarries

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
David Tipping

Burton Leonard Lime Quarries

Post by David Tipping »

I took the accompanying shots at Burton Leonard Lime Quarries, a lovely little Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserve between Harrogate and Ripon. There's a mixture of flower-rich grassland and woodland, and according to the YWT blurb, a good range of species have been recorded. However, there was not much showing today - I think it's getting a bit 'back-endish' for most of the grassland species. Saw a clouded yellow there last week - a rarity in this part of the world - but it disappeared before I could get a photo.
DJT
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Nice photos nonetheless!

Cheers,

- Pete
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

hi David
I was out for a couple of hours this afternoon around the wood and park close to my home in Bedford. I photographed the same three species as you ie small tort, small copper and comma plus large white and painted ladies. Despite my best efforts (and lots of miles travelled) this week, I've yet to connect with a Camberwell - and I haven't seen a clouded yellow in the UK this year! And time's running out .....!
Cheers. Alex :(
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Alex - it's a relief to know I'm not the only one that struggles to see Clouded Yellows! Perhaps you need to live down south for the best chance. As for Camberwells, I suppose it's all too easy to end up on a wild goose chase. Let's face it, a butterfly that can cross the North Sea can very soon be miles away from where it were last spotted. Apparently one has been sighted in Harrogate - I keep looking hopefully at my buddleia!
DJT

Return to “Sites”