Painted Lady influx!!!

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: Painted Lady influx!!!

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nick:
Springwatch....
How about continuing here with our little private correspondence about wildlife presenters? - all in the in the interests of Natrual Selection of course :)

(Cryptic – but those in the dark might get the idea if I say “Charlotte”)

Jack
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Just a thought, where does the next generation of PL's in Africa come from, if none supposedly go back. :?

Gruditch
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Gruditch wrote:Just a thought, where does the next generation of PL's in Africa come from, if none supposedly back. :?
They didn't give a very accurate picture of what happens (or answer the real question, which is, what is different about this year). Painted ladies are continuously present and continuously brooded in North Africa so there is a permanent gene pool there.

I have read reports of attempted southward migration but to the best of my knowledge it is never successful.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

I've only had a few come through here, not too surprising as we're 300m up but every single one has headed East - as if they knew that in that direction it was downhill and probably better feeding
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

One of my Moroccan students tells me that the big topic of conversation this year on the streets of Marracech is the incredibly green spring. Just as we are talking about a once-in-a-lifetime invasion of PLs, they are saying similar things about the unprecendented greenery. The older people are reminiscing to years they can remember in the past when it was similar but the young have never seen anything like it, apparently. Things are now dessicating, though.

This is the local countryside in a normal spring, I understand:

And this a photo of this year's greenery:

She said she'd ask her family for some comparative pictures of the same place in a normal year and this year and if she gets them I'll post them.

Doubtless, the fecund spring in Maracech is related to the invasion of painted ladies in Europe.

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

I spy a little egg! Ouch! those nettles don't half sting especially when you have shorts on but it was worth it. :D
Shirley
Picture 018 (Medium).jpg
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

padfield wrote:I have read reports of attempted southward migration but to the best of my knowledge it is never successful.
With so many PL's about, the UK transects could give some indication of, whether or not, there is any sort Southerly movement in the UK.

Gruditch
sarahrookley

Post by sarahrookley »

Ooooh! Congratulations Shirley. I'm yet to become a Painted Lady granny, but I'll keep looking (and yes, my legs are a bit sore as well - nettles and thistles are unforgiving creatures!)
James M

Post by James M »

I haven't seen any here yet, maybe I'm not looking hard enough? Perhaps my chances will be better later in the summer when the ofspring from these PLs emerges?
sarahrookley

Post by sarahrookley »

Shirley Roulston wrote:I spy a little egg! Ouch! those nettles don't half sting especially when you have shorts on but it was worth it. :D
Shirley
Picture 018 (Medium).jpg

We've got some eggs too! :D
Shirley Roulston

Congrtulations to you too Sarah, I went back to the same bed of Nettles but couldn't find an egg anywhere.
Shirley
sarahrookley

Post by sarahrookley »

Well, I'm feeling ridiculously privileged having just watched one of the PL eggs hatch, through my Dad's old microscope. :D I decided last night to go on an eggy hunt, and after many scratches, stings and very bad words, armed with my best reading specs and dogged determination, I found six eggs and two hatchlings - all well separated. I potted up a thistle (well, the neighbours know I'm mad by now!) and incorporated this, together with eggs and larvae into my mesh cage. The eggs were all green until this evening, when one had turned black. As I watched through the microscope, this little thing lifted the lid of the egg, which it carred around as it emerged, slowly darkening in colour even as I gazed at it with soppy grin on my face. It really was wonderful to see, and it climbed over the edge and off exploring its thistle... which incidentally looks incredibly scary and alien under a microscope. I don't think I've ever been emotionally attached to a caterpillar before, but almost feel like giving this one a name! (suggestions welcome) :wink:
Susie

Post by Susie »

sarahrookley wrote:as I gazed at it with soppy grin on my face
I know that expression well. Welcome to the soppy grin club. :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

sarahrookley wrote:I don't think I've ever been emotionally attached to a caterpillar before, but almost feel like giving this one a name! (suggestions welcome) :wink:
How about Nessie? Short for Vanessa, but also implying your caterpillar's a little monster...

Guy
Piers

Post by Piers »

Or how about Cynthia?

(Painted Lady used to be known as Cynthia cardui until recent taxonomic reshuffles).

Felix.
Shirley Roulston

If Sarah you six eggs and two hatchlings you might have eight names to find, Snow White and the eight :lol: dwarfs, whatever theirs names were. Or, the names of the folks on this website, there's plenty to chose from :wink:
All butterflies in this area have gone in hideing waiting for the sun.
Shirley
sarahrookley

Post by sarahrookley »

Lovely suggestions, all of them.... and it's very gratifying to see that you're all as nutty as I am!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Plenty of painted ladies today at Denbies, Surrey. :D
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Plenty around and about in north Somerset. Instead of acting like tiny missiles, they are now (and have been for a week or so) behaving like normal butterflies, chasing each other around, congregating near nectar sources or taking up territory along hedgerows.
eccles

Post by eccles »

Through the UK Leps forum has come news of yet another impending wave. These are apparently massing in southern Italy, so maybe the Germans, Swiss and Austrians are in for a treat? Look out for them Guy! :)

Return to “Sightings”