Bentley Wood

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
wavelea1

Bentley Wood

Post by wavelea1 »

All

As we are heading to France the weekend of the AGM I, unfortunately, won't get an introduction to this site. The PBF remains one of my target species and I am hopeful that I might make it down there before the last weekend in April. May is looking very doubtful due to work commitment.

If anyone sees early PBFs please post it on this site........

Thanks in anticipation

Mike
Denise

Re: Bentley Wood

Post by Denise »

Hi Mike.

Aren't you coming to the workshop?

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... f=3&t=2917

I'm hoping that PBF will be on the wing then. I haven't seen them either.
I will, and i'm sure others will post here, but if I find a fragile population, I will PM you with details.

Denise
Denise
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Denise

Many thanks for the reply and it's good to be back although I think that this year will be tenuous for me due to other work commitment.

Unfortunately we stay at a cottage in France owned by friends and the only week available commences on the 28th April so while I wanted to attend my other half felt it was not the right way to start a french holiday!!!! We're in France for 15 days heading south from Tours towards La Rochelle and hopefully we will have our fill of European butterflies.

I will head towards Bentley on the 26th/27th April weather permitting just in case and I'll contact you when I get back from France - I would like to see the Glanville this year as well???

Mike
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Mike

I live very close to Bentley Wood and popped there yesterday to refresh my memory on the 1st sightings dates from the log book in the car park but it hasn't been returned yet after the winter. If my memory is good, first sightings of PBF in the year when they were very early (2007) was about now, other years its not for a couple of weeks. I'll be keeping a close eye so will let you know.

Bill
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Bill

Lucky you and this would be much appreciated. Given your obvious knowledge might I ask for the best locations to see them as well???

Mike
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

wavelea1 wrote:Bill

Lucky you and this would be much appreciated. Given your obvious knowledge might I ask for the best locations to see them as well???

Mike
The best spot for PBF and SPBF is the Eastern Clearing. If you park in the main BW car park on the East side of the wood, walk back up the track you drove to the car park on and the clearing is on your left.

Bill

PS - Forgotten I'd posted the dates last year.

http://ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/viewt ... 46&start=0
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Bill

This info is much appreciated.
With the weather forecast looking good at this stage for Sunday (19) I am planning a visit - I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks once again

Mike
markhows

Post by markhows »

Any PBF's at Bentley Yet? as I am planning a visit this weekend

Thanks

Mark
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

markhows wrote:Any PBF's at Bentley Yet? as I am planning a visit this weekend

Thanks

Mark
Yes the first sighting was on 19th there were still some sighted last weekend so you should be in luck. Probably be popping in myself to see if SPBFs are about yet (I expect they are).

Good luck

Bill
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Many thanks Bill

I'll be down there just as soon as the rain stops?????

Mike
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

I'm having a good year.... what with Bentley Wood and Sand Point.

Visited BW on Wed along with about 12 others from all over southern England to find PBFs still on the wing - this is a new tick for me, and SPBFs emerging - not yet in prolific numbers but enough to keep us all happy.

So many thanks to Bill S and Denise for sharing info and keeping me informed.

and 'Hi' to Colin C who I met on site ........ will keep you informed as to WYD.

Mike

Return to “Sites”