May 2009 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Shirley Roulston

Re: May 2009 Sightings

Post by Shirley Roulston »

No butterflies yet again in Nefyn but I'm enjoying all these wonderful photos, keep them coming. :D
Shirley
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

landward side of the castle
Yes, precisely where I saw them last year. I took the ferry and had wondered if you had made the long trek along the spit and had found them on the way. It's obviously a fragile colony but the boatman told me that 2009 would mark its tenth year so if nothing else, it's a survivor. When I was there, a steady wind was blowing directly from the Isle of Wight so I guess there are regular reinforcements.

Anyone know when the Weston-super-Mare Sand Point colony was (artificially) established?

Jack
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

That cheeky boatman, when we took the boat back to Keyhaven in 2007, he asked us what all the camera equipment was for. I told him of the Glanville, " Granville " he said, no Glanville, now he is using it on his site seeing tour. And it seems, making up his own facts, that bl@@dy old pirate. :lol:

Gruditch
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

hi jack,

on your point of finding glanvilles along the spit, in previous years when conditions have been good the odd few can be found wondering along the spit and can sometimes be seen down at the other end of the spit, but these appear to be just wonderers as they are yet to form a colony further away from the castle meadow.
the reason i don't use the ferry is that only turists use the service, that and plus im far too tight. :lol:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

geniculata:
...the reason I don't use the ferry is that only tourists use the service...
The reason I used it was because I was too lazy. But the boat does give offer good birdwatching on the way.

Jack
Piers

Post by Piers »

geniculata wrote:hi jack,

no sadley the old colony at hordle cliff looks to be no more, and this fresh colony is restricted to the meadow directly on the landward side of the castle.
In my humble opinion I would say that the Hurst Castle Glanville colony is on borrowed time; vigorous grasses are now reasserting themselves and the amount of ribwort plantain has reduced significantly in only a couple of years. the plantain is now confined pretty much to a single patch at one end of the 'meadow'. There shall surely come a point within the next couple of seasons where there is no longer sufficient food plant to support the voracious larvae.

As the habitat quickly recovers from the disturbance that created the conditions so ideal for a mass 'crop' of plantain it will soon become utterly unsuitable for the fritillaries. Hence their penchant for coastal landslips: the conditions required for significant plantain growth are continually being created.

Hordle Cliff however looks to be in great condition for Glanville Fritillary with masses of plantain following some significant mud slips, so perhaps a stray female, from either Hurst or the Island will stumble upon it.

Felix.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Some great sightings and shots posted recently.

I was also at Hod Hill on Saturday and met Paul Brock (Plus was it geniculata? My memory is terrible for names!). The Marsh Frits were out in force with lots of fresh emergences through the day, several mating pairs and even foind an egg laying female which was very pleasing indeed. Also loads of Dingy Skippers, a few Grizzled Skippers, Small Heaths and a couple of Brown Argus. The odd white and Brimstone drifting by as well. I even managed to find a mature Marsh Fritillary Caterpillar I believe so there will be fresh specimines around for some time it seems.

Planned to go to IOW for Glanville Frits on the Sunday but the Ferry was Fully booked according to the web on saturday night - must be a sign of the times as I've never had that problem before!

Photos to follow once I've downloaded them all. Managed to take 16GB in the day! The 50D files are big, but when you get everything right the detail is incredible! It does however make the shots where you don't quite nail it stand out for all of the wrong reasons as well!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

geniculata:
Hurst Castle Glanville colony is on borrowed time; vigorous grasses are now reasserting themselves and the amount of ribwort plantain has reduced significantly in only a couple of years.
I had actually feared as much. But the question has to be asked; why/how did it develop into suitable habitat originally? Was it management; was it perhaps a sea incursion that knocked the coarse grasses? After all, the landslips on I of W must suffer from a lot of salt spray; that might be what does the trick. I don't know. But it would be a shame if the Hurst Castle habitat is allowed to deteriorate. Even the casual non-naturalist visitor would surely rather see flowery meadows than a mono-culture of rough grass?

Anyone from Hampshire BC Branch care to comment on the feasibility of habitat management at Hurst Castle?

Jack
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Had a great day on Devils Dyke (Newmarket - July Racecourse end) yesterday (Sunday).Took the kids and spent about 7 hours there. I hadn't appreciated how steep the Dyke was - but my back and legs are reminding me of this today after standing on the slope trying to capture a few images!

I was like a kid on Christmas day as I saw my first ever Green Hairstreaks. These were out in what I can only assume to be reasonable numbers - in excess of 20 seen. Usually in one or twos but found a patch on the chalk path covered in a small green leathery looking plant that I think is a Common Rock Rose - but as it had no flowers I am not certain. Either way it had several flying around it reguarly and they looked like they were laying eggs - although I couldnt see any without a hand lens on me.

In addition - Brimstones (Males and female - but mostly the former) -These were very common and easily in excess of 40 seen over the afternoon. Dingy Skippers (another first for me) with estimates of around 20+ seen. Brown Argus - 15+, Orange Tip (Males) 6, Small Heath (x3 - freshly emerged and in the bottom of the Dyke where longer grasses were - is this early for thi sp?), Small Whites (12+). Also found 1 caterpillar that I assume to be an OT as it was on Garlic Mustard - but will need to check my books. It may also have just been a moth caterpillar - this one didnt crawl but 'arched its back' as it walked along the mustard?

Several day flying moths found too. Met a chap in the afternoon who drew my attention to a mating pair of Mother Shiptons - very nice looking moth. Three other moths seen too - but again no idea what they are as yet.

Still struggling to get photos close up with the 150mm macro and find I have to use tripod. The problem is that its not easy erecting a tripod on a very steep slope that I kept on slipping down myself! I think i need to get some insurance sorted for my gear!

Will try and upload some of my attempts tonight - Next time I need to go earlier as by 11am they were very flighty. The Dingy skippers gave me some opportunity to practice - but usually the angle of the slope made it dificult for me to use my old tripod as it wasnt high enough.

I am told that it can be better at the Reach end as the Dyke has an old disused railway cutting running thorugh and the brambles give lots of perches. The Newmarket end had little cover except at the bottom of the Dyke. Any advice on the transect - its only ~25 miles from me, pasing Wicken Fen as I go so hope to revisit soon, along with Wicken and the Fleam Dyke.

Mark
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Hi Mark,

You may want to try a monopod with the sigma 150. I shoot almost exclusively with that lens on a monopod. Far more stable than handhels and far more flexible than a tripod. I always carry a tripod with me but rarely use it except in the case of exceptionally inactive butterflies.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

FISHiEE wrote:Hi Mark,

You may want to try a monopod with the sigma 150. I shoot almost exclusively with that lens on a monopod. Far more stable than handhels and far more flexible than a tripod. I always carry a tripod with me but rarely use it except in the case of exceptionally inactive butterflies.
I agree exactly. If the butterfly is a long way away, and a large species e.g silver-washed fritillary or white admiral I sometimes use the big Canon 300mm F4 IS, although I am aware not everyone can afford that lens! Otherwise Sigma 150m macro with monopod.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Strong to gale easterly winds over Isle of Wight today, Monday, and expected for the next day or two as well, might disperse some Glanvilles to the mainland. Such strong winds in late spring/early summer are not all that unusual, but the occurrence this time at the height of the Glanville season might produce some interesting outcomes.

And you never know what else might get blown across from nearby France and Belgium. Chequered Skippers in Kent? :)

Jack
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

jackharr wrote:And you never know what else might get blown across from nearby France and Belgium. Chequered Skippers in Kent? :)
Well, they're on the wing out here! :D This was 8th May, a few hundred yards from my new house:

I don't know where the nearest colony in France is, though...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Guy (re Chequered Skipper) :
I don't know where the nearest colony in France is, though...
It was a joke as you realised. I believe they occur in the Belgian Ardennes, a mere four hours away as the wind blows :)

But is Weaver's Fritillary - Clossiana dia an outside possibility? I believe they occur much closer to England.

Any other species?

Jack
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

FISHiEE wrote:The 50D files are big, but when you get everything right the detail is incredible! It does however make the shots where you don't quite nail it stand out for all of the wrong reasons as well!
Not for the beginner are they. :!:
bugmadmark wrote:Still struggling to get photos close up with the 150mm macro and find I have to use tripod.

Stick at it, it could take years before you get a good shot. :lol:

BTW, Hurst Beech, is now part of the New Forest National Park, not sure if that's a good or bad thing. :?

One very windswept Painted Lady seen today

Gruditch
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Gruditch:
Stick at it, it could take years before you get a good shot.
So how many more years to go in your case Gary? :evil:

Jack
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Come on, credit where it's due, I got two votes in this months comp. :(

Gruditch
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

hi jack,
in answer to your earlier question, to my knowledge i wasn't aware of any relevent great upheavel or management of the hurst castle meadow area and in my own observations the ribwort plantain has never been overly prevelent on the site like it is on the cliff areas,i also hadn't observed a lull and recovery of plantain at hordle cliff its allways been in good stead there. perhaps felix could enlarge on his knowledge of the history of said occurances on the site

gary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

jackharr wrote:But is Weaver's Fritillary - Clossiana dia an outside possibility? I believe they occur much closer to England.

Any other species?
Most species are surprisingly sedentary. I've just been browsing Kudrna and there are loads of butterflies crammed against the coasts of Belgium and France just gagging to get across but which are never seen in England - including palaemon and dia. I think Queen of Spain is the species to watch out for. Although it never manages to become resident in England it is now a fairly regular (but rare) immigrant and the spring brood has been on the wing some time now.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Ian Pratt wrote:
FISHiEE wrote:Hi Mark,

I agree exactly. If the butterfly is a long way away, and a large species e.g silver-washed fritillary or white admiral I sometimes use the big Canon 300mm F4 IS, although I am aware not everyone can afford that lens! Otherwise Sigma 150m macro with monopod.
Add an extension tube to that 300F4 and it's good for the much smaller species too :)

Return to “Sightings”