March 2009 votes.

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.

Who would you like to vote for.

Poll ended at Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Pauline
3%
NickB
5%
The Gatekeeper
17%
m_galathea
5%
Paul Brock
14%
johnb
10%
roundwood123
2%
Paul
3%
Charles Nicol
10%
Keith Woonton
3%
Dave McCormick
5%
Markulous
5%
Deano
3%
Pete Eeles
13%
nick patel
3%

Total votes: 63

Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

March 2009 votes.

Post by Gruditch »

This thread is here to allow you to cast your votes for the March 2009 competition. See entries at gallery's, photo competition, March 2009. Voting closes on the 20TH.

You need to be registered and logged into the forums, where you'll be able to cast your votes for your three favourites. Once you've voted, that's it!

Please note : Any self votes will be removed !.

Gruditch
Gruditch

Re: March 2009 votes.

Post by Gruditch »

Congratulations to The Gatekeeper, a worthy winner. Well done to Paul Brock, for a well deserved second place, and Pete for third. Sadly Pete, the standard must be dropping, as you used this same shot last year, and it came no where. :?

Must think of a new theme for next year, as it's sure to win. :lol:

Gruditch
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Gruditch wrote:Sadly Pete, the standard must be dropping, as you used this same shot last year, and it came no where. :?
Really? Must be a pretty poor category then as far as I'm concerned - I tend not to take photos of human beings or fingers :lol:

Although I liked Gatekeeper's entry!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I'm not to fond of butterflies on fingers either, and as this category seems to encourage that. I will have to think of a replacement for next year.

Gruditch
The Gatekeeper

Post by The Gatekeeper »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Gruditch wrote:Sadly Pete, the standard must be dropping, as you used this same shot last year, and it came no where. :?
Really? Must be a pretty poor category then as far as I'm concerned - I tend not to take photos of human beings or fingers :lol:

Cheers,

- Pete
Well, thanks to everyone who voted for me, particularly as it was my first ever entry.

For the record I think it was a worthy category :D

and since people have such a key influence on all wildlife, not least butterflies, maybe keeping it in future years might encourage (or challenge?) us all to try and capture that influence and of course enjoyment that butterflies bring to us all.

I think this is reflected in the four photos that got the most votes here. It also gives everyone an opportunity for a little humour and where the standard is so high for standard shots of butterflies, an opportunity for a different type of photography to do well - but hey, what do I know? :wink:

The Gatekeeper
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Gatekeeper, you got my vote too. :)

But I'm afraid that, because this category attracted the least entries, in the out of season comps. Then it is going to be dropped, for a season or two at-least.

Gruditch
Paul Brock

Post by Paul Brock »

Pity the category will be scrapped (and not because I have more butterfly release pictures!).

Excellent 'fun' image from Gatekeeper, which must have deservedly had just about everyone's vote. It's the type of image the press would love, rather than a 'normal' butterfly picture, ideal publicity for something like the opening of a new reserve, or a leaflet [Gatekeeper, you probably already have an agent?!].

Thanks for those who voted me into runner-up spot, I thought there were several creative images and good to see a wide spread of votes.

Paul
NickB

Post by NickB »

Pete Eeles wrote:
...- I tend not to take photos of human beings or fingers :lol:
Cheers
- Pete
Likewise, Pete - people are far too difficult; give me butterflies any day!
But Gatekeeper's shot captured the spirit of the competition so beautifully, I think no one could resist it! :P
And why not put this category in for next year? (I suppose I was stretching it a bit; but fingers, however beautifully photographed, are not that attractive! So some lateral thinking was needed... :mrgreen: ). I guess I can only think of one reason not - we have a March Butterflies Competition, if the seasons keep coming earlier as they have been....I probably had more good sightings in March, until the recent weather, than April!
Comma_MRC_Low_21_03_2009.jpg
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

No sorry guys, it's got to go.
Of the themed competitions for 07-08, Three, Behaviour, Camouflage, and Butterflies and People, drew the least entry's with 16. So I opted to drop one of them, Camouflage, and replaced it with Photo-shop, which turned out to be quite popular. :)
Whichever category got the least entry's for the 08-09 comps, was always going to be dropped. Especially so, as Butterflies and People was last again, and with one entry less than last year.

Mind I have no idea what to replace it with, maybe Moths taken in the 2009 season. :idea:

I can hear Pete now, "MOTHS".

Gruditch
The Gatekeeper

Post by The Gatekeeper »

OK moths is good
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

How about something a little more difficult such as "butterflies and their foodplants" -- this is the way they are often illustrated in books and would be fun I reckon.

Alexander
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It would be fun to know at the beginning of the season what the themed categories will be, so we can keep an eye open for photo opportunities during the year. I like 'Butterflies and their food plants' - a good idea.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I agree.

I think moths apply to any category anyway. For example, if someone wants to enter an Elephant hawk larva in the "Immature Stages" competition, then that's absolutely fine. In fact, if someone wanted to enter a dragonfly nymph (for example) I wouldn't object to that either. At the end of the day - it's the voters that will decide if they think the subject is relevant!

Gary - I agree with Guy that knowing what the standard 12 categories are would help anyone who enters the competitions to focus (no pun intended!) on competition-winning shots, if that's their inclination!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I think moths apply to any category anyway. For example, if someone wants to enter an Elephant hawk larva in the "Immature Stages" competition, then that's absolutely fine. In fact, if someone wanted to enter a dragonfly nymph (for example) I wouldn't object to that either. At the end of the day - it's the voters that will decide if they think the subject is relevant!
well, true, but I disagree about dragonflies, moths are fine as Butterflies and Moths are "Lepidoptera" its what this site is about, butterflies and lepidoptera.

Anyway, I voted for The Gatekeeper too, knew that was a winner when I saw it. The photo I had was the only one I had which involved humans. I had some more, but I could not find the pics!
Gary - I agree with Guy that knowing what the standard 12 categories are would help anyone who enters the competitions to focus (no pun intended!) on competition-winning shots, if that's their inclination!
I also agree. It would be good to know in advance what the competitions are going to be, so I can be ready, as I, sometimes, I am lucky to have a shot for the winter month competitions, sometimes.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Pete Eeles wrote:I think moths apply to any category anyway. For example, if someone wants to enter an Elephant hawk larva in the "Immature Stages" competition, then that's absolutely fine. In fact, if someone wanted to enter a dragonfly nymph (for example) I wouldn't object to that either. At the end of the day - it's the voters that will decide if they think the subject is relevant!
Admittedly people do frequently enter moths in the comps, but they never to get much of a look in at vote time. I think it would be nice to see one win, plus, it will make people take a little more notice of them in the field. "Moths count", as they say at the BC. :D

Dave McCormick wrote:well, true, but I disagree about dragonflies, moths are fine as Butterflies and Moths are "Lepidoptera" its what this site is about, butterflies and lepidoptera.
I agree, next thing you know we will have birds in there, yuk.
Pete Eeles wrote:Gary - I agree with Guy that knowing what the standard 12 categories are would help anyone who enters the competitions
What do ya think I'm trying to do here :evil:

Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

Cor! The next thing will be flies..... :lol:
Bee-fly_1_low_Home_22_04_2009.jpg
(and before you know it UKB is UK.Everything that creeps crawls and flies :mrgreen:
No objection to moths tho'...)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I think I will go with Moths, it will add a little incentive for those that have been thinking of getting a moth trap.

Nice pic BTW Nick. :)

Gruditch
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Moths Lovely Moths, Just in case any of you think Moths are not the equal of Butterflies, Have a look at this Pale Prominent. Steve
Attachments
IMG_2687 (Small).JPG
Paul

Post by Paul »

and this Mullein... from31st March :D

Return to “Competitions”