Rewell Wood near Arundel

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Jack Harrison

Rewell Wood near Arundel

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am planning to re-visit an old haunt shortly, Rewell Wood just west of Arundel, West Sussex. Some 35 years ago, it was very good for Pearl Bordered Fritillaries but of course what was best clearing then will be overgrown now. I cannot really be sure where the best clearings are today but the aerial photos suggest that the main ride running SSW-NNE might be a good starting point. Any better advice?

I have heard that PB Frits just hang on there so would love to confirm. Other species I used to find in the woodland complex included Grizzled Skipper and Duke of Burgundy. There was a on-going rumour of Large Tortoiseshells but I never found any.

I will be going to Rewell on 28 and/or 29 April.

Jack
Susie

Re: Rewell Wood near Arundel

Post by Susie »

Sounds good, Jack. That isn't that far away from me either, I may pay it a visit too. Thanks for the posts. :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The season is running later than I had hoped so am delaying my butterfly holiday by a week.

Target dates for Rewell Wood now 7 / 8 May.

Jack
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

You should have no problem finding the PBFs in Rewell. I have seen them mainly around the southernmost parts of the wood (around the bridleway). Please bear in mind the message issued on Sussex BCs website last year, presumably for the benefit of ground nesting birds:

"For those wishing to visit Rewell Wood to see the Pearl-bordered Fritillary, PLEASE NOTE; Please keep to the bridleways and avoid entering into the coppiced areas. There are plenty of Pearl-bordered Fritillary working along the bridleways, giving ample photo opportunities. These are easier to photograph in the late afternoon as it cools down, and the PBFs tend to emerge from the coppiced areas to get the last heat of the day along the tracksides. Rob Thurlow (Forest Enterprise) does regular PBF counts for the wood, so there is no need for others to assess the population. If entering the wood from the South (A27), walk through the gate, up the track, then turn left at the bridleway T-junction. You will see plenty of PBFs from the bridleway, a few hundred metres from the junction. When parking, having turned off from the A27, please do not park opposite or near the house. Access to the wood is regularly required by large timber vehicles, so please ensure that they can pass freely. It is better to park on the left, up against the wire fence, as these vehicles can pass more easily on the flatter surface to the right. Happy hunting!"

Alexander
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Many thanks for the info. I have in the past found no need to enter any coppiced areas. The bugle flowers (favourite nectaring source) grow very well along the edges of the bridleways.

In 1974 (not absolutely sure if that is the correct year, but not more than a year out) I carried out a mark and recapture count of PBFs in Rewell Wood. I have no record of my findings but a populations of adults on one day was as best I can recall circa 140 in one clearing. The results were submitted to the Sussex Wildlife Trust (or whatever it might have been called in those days) so maybe the finds are still in the records somewhere. Is anyone able to help?

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I've now looked at the satellite/aerial photos and that recommended area is EXACTLY where I did that survey some 30+ years ago. It was Sweet Chestnut coppice then. I can't wait to revisit.
Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
That officious notice was courtesy of myself, with my BC committee hat on. There had been one or two problems with people 'rampaging', and later in the PBF flight season there are nightjars to consider - but as you know, they happily come out onto the bridleway edges to nectar on the bugle. They are yet to emerge this year, so your amended date for visiting should catch the first flush nicely. The woods are being actively managed for PBFs (and other stuff), so the population is still strong. The colony of Dukes at the northern end of the woods (Whiteways Plantation) died out in 1999, through shading by beech. If this is NOT where you saw them, I would appreciate it if you would contact me direct, with a Grid Ref. I'm part way through a two-year survey of this species in Sussex and am aware of isolated sightings elsewhere within the woods. I'm at a management meeting here on the 6th, so should be able to let you know whether they're out in force by then. Still a few Grizzled Skipper about. Sounds like your visit will be a 'trip down memory lane' - hope you enjoy it and might even bump into you! Your old records will be at the Sussex Biodiversity Record Centre. They are closely associated with the Sussex Wildlife Trust and share office space at Woods Mill, Henfield.
Neil
Susie

Post by Susie »

I am hoping to go to Rewell Woods tomorrow. I haven't been there before so is the advice regarding parking the same as it was last year? Is the site easy to find?

Any advice gratefully received.

:D
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hi Susie

The answer is yes, the parking situation is the same. Regarding it being easy to find: be careful as you drive down the A27, slow right down as you approach the turning or you'll miss it (too bad about the drivers behind you!!). You might find it helpful to look for the site on Google Earth.

Hope you have success - I'll look out for your photos :D
I was thinking of skiving off work tomorrow afternoon and going there too but my conscience may not let me :cry:

Polly
Susie

Post by Susie »

Bugger your conscience! Play hookey for the day and come and spot butterflies with me :mrgreen:
Susie

Post by Susie »

Grid ref, etc., for the site can be found here. http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.html
Robin

Post by Robin »

Thanks Susie,
Good to meet you and all the other "names" from UK Butties.
Hope to meet you all again soon,
Robin
Susie

Post by Susie »

Aha! Our esteemed leader. :D Thank you most kindly to yourself and your good lady wife for the advice regarding my camera and also the bottle of wine - tis going down a treat.

Good luck with the pbf! :D
Robin

Post by Robin »

Following a tip from Susie yesterday we set of first thing this morning in bright sunshine for Rewell Wood arriving around 9.15. What a beautiful place. We saw 3 Red Admirals, 4 Orange-tips, 2 Small Whites, 7 P-bFs and then these two beauties ignoring everything around them:
Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Rewell Wood 26-04-09)-83ed.jpg
Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Rewell Wood 26-04-09)-117ed.jpg
and after it was all over:
Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Rewell Wood 26-04-09)-144ed.jpg
Thanks for your help Susie, its a place we will definitely visit again. :D :D
Robin
Susie

Post by Susie »

I am so pleased you had a good result. They are beautiful photographs. :D

Return to “Sites”