Chambers Farm Wood

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
David Tipping

Chambers Farm Wood

Post by David Tipping »

I went to Chambers Farm Wood (approx. 10 miles east of Lincoln) on the 22nd, hoping to see and photograph my first white admiral. The warden directed me to a clump of brambles where a dozen or more had been showing the previous week, but there was no sign when I arrived. I did glimpse a solitary example nearby, but it gave no chance of a photo.
By way of consolation, I saw my first purple hairstreaks and even managed a photo (below). Granted, it won't win me any prizes in the competition, but hey, it's my own, it's authentic and it's an elusive butterfly.
There's an area of the reserve called Scrubbs Meadow which is like a site within a site - grassland flowers that attract non-woodland species. I saw a couple of marbled white and according to a sign, marsh fritillary can also be seen at the appropriate time. Can this be right? I thought they had more or less disappeared from eastern England.
Another, rather gruesome highlight was seeing a baby rabbit killed by a weasel. My wife wandered off and saw a slow worm - her second in the space of a fortnight. I've only ever seen one, when I was 5 years old. It had been mistaken for a snake and stamped on by some idiot who thought he was doing the rest of us a favour.
I enjoyed my visit to Chambers Farm - highly recommended if you are a species-starved northerner like me! Will be returning next year, perhaps a couple of weeks earlier in the hope of catching the white admirals at their peak.
DJT
Lance

Post by Lance »

Hi David,
Chambers is a good site. Shame you did not see White Admiral. I went earlier and there were plenty this year. Marsh Fritillary were introduced and have done well here.
Regards Lance
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Thanks Lance. I'll probably have a trip over there in May/June next year to see if I can track down those Marsh Fritillaries.
DJT
Lance

Post by Lance »

They will be around Scrubs. Might see you there :wink:
Regards Lance

Return to “Sites”