Not Lepidoptera - Reptiles

Discussion forum for sightings.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Not Lepidoptera - Reptiles

Post by Padfield »

Congratulations on catching that brief moment! All the pictures on this page (apart from mine, which was pure luck! :D ) must be the fruits of great patience and skill.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I have to agree with Guy, Jerry. I've only ever seen this once in my life, a few years ago in Pamber Forest in Hampshire, while I was watching a female adder ... next thing I know, two male adders start their "dance" and head toward me at high speed! I must have leapt 2 feet in the air!

But to photograph this spectacle is really quite something - well done!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

hi all,
just 1 pic of a female adder at martin down yesterday, one of several seen along with eight slow worms and many common lizard.

regards gary.
Attachments
female adder 19.4.09
female adder 19.4.09
eccles

Post by eccles »

Excellent pics Jerry. Can we get back to hunting butterflies soon? :D
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

I've been going to the same site for the last 3 years on Gower where I have discovered a good number of adders and recently grass snakes. Every year I found the same specimens sunbathing in the same spots. However, I've never seen 2 males in combat (FYI, the larger male always wins!) or a male and female in their dance although I have been there regularly!! Something I wish to witness one day!!
What kind of lens have you used Fishee ? Your pics are really good ! Do you use a telephoto lens and then crop your picture on the computer?
Sylvie
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Sorry Fishee, I have read your comments again and the reply is already in there.
Excellent pics in this thread !!
Sylvie
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Hi Sylvie,

All the posted images in this thread are with the sigma 150 macro lens and are in most cases pretty much the whole image. I get quite close :)

I should post some more from last weekend where as well as the macro lens (I got even closer this time!) I also found my canon 100-400 + a 25mm extension tube was quite effective. Image stabalised closeup :)
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Fishee,

I would be interested in knowing how close you can get with your 150mm macro. Adders are quite difficult to approach if you get too close, they tend to disappear very quickly.
I have a 300mm telephoto and the closest I can get is 1 meter from the subject without losing the focusing point.
I have recently coupled this with a TC x2 and I get a better frame especially of the adder's head which I really like. However I lose 2 stops of light and have to compensate by using 400isa film ( I still haven't got digital yet). It works quite well though.
Sylvie
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Hi Sylvie. I guess I can get within 50cm. maybe less. I can fill the majority of the frame with the head. Some are more approachable than others. Some I can't get within 3-4m of...
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

found a very tame common lizard warming up on a bronze commemorative plate at martin down yesterday.

gary.
Attachments
common lizard, martin down.
common lizard, martin down.
romansnumber7

Post by romansnumber7 »

Not one for the faint hearted this one. Think its a grass snake but not 100%. It was about 3 feet long at a guess. I watched it for 10 minutes and it still hadn't finished swallowing the frog/toad.
Attachments
DSC_4908.jpg
eccles

Post by eccles »

This male adder, probably close to full grown at around 18-20" long was straddling a footpath on Blackdown, Somerset, while I was looking for dark green fritillaries. I happened to glance down and just managed to checked my step to avoid stepping on it. Not only didn't it dash for cover, but it calmly turned its head to watch as I snapped away with the macro lens.
Attachments
DSC08919.jpg
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

no butterflies today,
as i only made a fleeting visit to a pond in the forest to check on the local toad population.
things were jumping! many hundreds of things!

gary :D
Attachments
toads mass spawning, wootton new forest.
toads mass spawning, wootton new forest.
A Ramsay

Post by A Ramsay »

Since I've still not seen a butterfly this year, up here in the North, having to make do with taking pictures like those attached!
The adder pictures were taken yesterday at allerthorpe common, near York, and the palmate newt was taken last weekend near Otley.
Andrew
Attachments
Adder.jpg
Adder.jpg (157.26 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Adder 2.jpg
Adder 2.jpg (112.96 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Palmate newt.jpg
Palmate newt.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 330 times

Return to “Sightings”