Buddleia Davidii

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Algol

Buddleia Davidii

Post by Algol »

just picked up a Buddleia davidii today, said on the label that it is irresistable to butterflies, so planted it today and hoping it'll flower by sumer
Denise

Re: Buddleia Davidii

Post by Denise »

Hi Algol,
Two years ago in March, I bought several Buddleia plug plants and potted them up. In early May I planted them out and although they were comparatively small bushes, they flowered that year! Last year after careful pruning they were bigger (about the same size as you would buy from a garden centre) and had many flowers. This year I have pruned back hard and already have a lot of new growth.
Buddleia in my opinion is the outright winner to attracting a wide variety of both butterfly during the day and moth species at night.
I do find however that although all the plants attract butterflies, the lighter coloured ones eg, mauve, white and pink get more. I only ever get Comma on the Black Knight.

Denise
Denise
Algol

Post by Algol »

cheers denise, it is a decent size already about 12 inches tall maybe a little more and i'm hoping it'll flwer this summer.

so i'll get moths on it at night?
Denise

Post by Denise »

Algol wrote:cheers denise, it is a decent size already about 12 inches tall maybe a little more and i'm hoping it'll flower this summer.

so i'll get moths on it at night?
I would be very surprised if it didn't flower this summer.
Try a torch light safari around your plant at night. You will be amazed at how many moths gather on Buddleia 'after hours' :lol:

Denise
Denise
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Some moths visit buddleia during the day - it is a favourite of the hummingbird hawk-moth.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”