Adonis blue sighting - Gloucestershire

Discussion forum for sightings.
Pamela

Adonis blue sighting - Gloucestershire

Post by Pamela »

Hi everyone, I'm new here - and new to butterfly spotting too!

We moved to Brimscombe, just outside Stroud, about 9 months ago. We live on Rodborough Common and spotted the story in the press a few days ago about the Adonis Blue having been spotted round here. Rodborough Common is a site of European Special Area of Conservation and apparently it's one of the only places these are seen nowadays.

Anyway, I spotted my first Adonis Blue yesterday while picking blackberries outside our cottage! And this morning I've seen 4 while pottering around my garden.

Has anyone got any tips on how to photograph them? They don't tend to stay still for very long (!) and when they're rested their wings are usually folded up so I can only see the pale browny colour of their underside.

Any tips welcome! Anyone who wants to find out where Rodborough is: http://www.jncc.gov.uk/ProtectedSites/S ... =UK0012826

Bye for now
Pamela
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Pamela - and welcome!

That's great news. I wish I could walk out of my back door and see Adonis Blue!

Like many other blues, the best conditions are often still, cloudy days. The lower temperature then means that the critters have to spend more time warming up by basking in whatever light there is. They then open up their wings.

An alternative is to get up earlier on a sunny day when, again, the critters are warming up.

Otherwise - you need to be fit and be prepared to pursue your prey (often for some time) and exercise your stalking skills to boot, as the butterfly flits from flower to flower!

Cheers,

- Pete

Return to “Sightings”