Commons Nature Reserve, Welwyn Garden City, Herts

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Roger Gibbons

Commons Nature Reserve, Welwyn Garden City, Herts

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I recently received this email (below) from our local MP about the Common Nature Reserve. I’m not interested in the politics, but at least this guy lets you know what’s going on. This part of the world is rapidly being covered with houses, almost every green space and many ex-school playing fields. The Commons remains as a superb nature site with varied ecology including rare wetlands, and is a great site for White-letter and Purple Hairstreaks among others, as well as rare birds and plants. It has been exceptionally well managed by a local group.

Why on earth do the morons who run our country think this is a good idea? Who actually NEEDS these houses?

I would urge everyone who feels we should conserve what remains of our wildlife to download this petition and send it to the address shown on the form.

Start of MP’s email:
Recently I went to a meeting held by local residents who care about our environment and believe that it should be saved for current and future generations. They introduced experts who pointed out that the Commons Nature Reserve (part of the belt of undeveloped land that separates Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City) is a treasure trove of animal, plant and bird species who could be forced out if the Government gets its way without proper local consideration.

It's under threat because the Government has the target of 15,000 houses (yes, that's up from the 10,000 we were quoted before) to be built here in Welwyn Hatfield in the next 10-20 years. The minerals company LaFarge has been managing land near The Commons in WGC and has taken up the Government's invitation to put in ideas for building on this Green Belt land to meet those housing targets. And campaigners say that could well threaten the Nature Reserve.

See a report of the meeting here:
<http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php/t ... l#msg38884>

If you share my concern about the Government's reckless approach to our Nature Reserve, then please print out the attached petition form and ask your friends and family to sign it. You can send it back using my FREEPOST address (which is shown on the form). I will then personally deliver the completed petition to the Minister for the East of England, who's responsible for helping to impose these unworkable top-down targets.

The petition will up the pressure on the Government and help protect our important Nature Reserve.
End of email.
Save-The-Commons-Nature-Reserve-Petition.pdf
(44.8 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Charles Nicol

Re: Commons Nature Reserve, Welwyn Garden City, Herts

Post by Charles Nicol »

Done !!

Charles

Return to “Conservation”