Purple Emperor

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Purple Emperor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

I took this picture in early July, the butterfly had perched its self on a gentlemans sandel.
He was certainly very patient as he had about 8 or so people trying to get a photo of it.

eccles

Post by eccles »

I am green with envy...
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

Purple emperors can be very docile and obliging! This one stayed on my hand for 20 minutes during an extremely hot day in July - continually 'drinking' the sweat off my hand. It only left when i shook it off and even then it flew around me and tried to land on my hand again!
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

That's a fantastic shot Alex.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

It certainly is. And well worth a stab in the "behaviour" section of the photo competition :)

Cheers,

- Pete
alex mclennan

purple emperors

Post by alex mclennan »

Thanks for the comments. I apologise for the size of the picture but it is our first attempt at posting a photograph and I think we have now worked out the proper way to do it!! Pete, we have another emperor picture 'mineralising' which might find its way into the behaviour category!!
Mark&Lou

Post by Mark&Lou »

:D :D :D
Love it. You must be so chuffed with that quality moment Alex.

Lou
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Up here in the species-starved north, purple emperors are the stuff of fantasy. And you people have them perching on you boots and fingers!
DJT
alex mclennan

Purple Emperors

Post by alex mclennan »

Hi David
Put a date in your diary now - second week in July, Fermyn Woods, near Oundle, Northants - you'll be falling over them!! On one day in July this year, a dozen were seen on the ground in half an hour!!
Alex.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Up here in the species-starved north, purple emperors are the stuff of fantasy. And you people have them perching on you boots and fingers!
Hah! too true David!!
Wayne
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Thanks for the tip Alex. Another forum user, Trev Sawyer, has also mentioned Fermyn Woods. I reckon it is just about viable for a day trip from Harrogate - I'll be there next July!
Last edited by David Tipping on Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJT
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Luckily I didn't have 8 people trying to get a snap of this lesser purple emperor - I took the picture myself. I had taken my white hat off and put it on the ground to attract emperors - they like both white and the scent of sweat. Instant reaction: this male clytie immediately landed on the nearest sweaty white patch.

Guy
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

Hello Guy,

Welcome to the forum - I've enjoyed very much the postings that you've already made.

Curiousity took me to your web site - boy, your year lists make me green with envy. Got any tips for Swiss hot-spots, ideally in the German speaking part, so I can start planning next year's holiday :D

Simon C
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I'd like to second your wonderful input Guy, and also welcome you!

Still playing catchup since I returned from vacation ... :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thank you for the welcome! Simon, you wanted tips for Swiss butterfly sites. My 'local patch' is mainly in the French-speaking part, though the Rhône Valley extends eastwards into German-speaking territory and I do visit the nearby Bernese Oberland occasionally. In general, the Alps have a far higher density of species and butterflies than the Plateau, which has gone the way of all industrialised, sprawlingly urban regions. In July and August, head up to the mountain passes - in June keep nearer to the valley floors. The Rhône valley, from Martigny eastwards (and including its tributary valleys), is one of Europe's great butterfly playgrounds - quite spectacular. I would be delighted to show you particular sites if you came out this way, but my policy is only to show, never to publish, otherwise my favourite meadows would be trampled to death. An excellent website is this: http://lepus.unine.ch/carto/. You will find maps of the distribution of all Swiss species (watch out for some strange names - so all Everes come under Cupido, for example, and Agriades under Plebeius).

You might think we expats join UK forums just to gloat - but that is not the case. It is because, for many of us, our love of butterflies began in Britain and the British butterflies have a very special place in our hearts. I have thoroughly enjoyed browsing this forum, with a real feeling of nostalgia.

Guy
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Luckily I didn't have 8 people trying to get a snap of this lesser purple emperor - I took the picture myself. I had taken my white hat off and put it on the ground to attract emperors - they like both white and the scent of sweat. Instant reaction: this male clytie immediately landed on the nearest sweaty white patch.
Um... lovely butterfly, but not to sure about the sweaty head situation.
Only joking!!!!!!!!!
I loved reading your posts :D

Return to “Photography”