February Butterfly sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Dave McCormick

Re: February Butterfly sightings

Post by Dave McCormick »

Zilch here yet, but I'll keep a lookout and hope to see something soon.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
eccles

Post by eccles »

A slightly tatty looking peacock briefly seen near Blagdon Lake, Somerset today.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

NickB wrote:Two Peacocks on Saturday out cycling near Cambridge :D
...no pics tho' they didn't hang around...
Hey Nick,
Presumably, they pedaled off, ringing their bells as they went? :lol:

Trev
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Trev Sawyer wrote:
NickB wrote:Two Peacocks on Saturday out cycling near Cambridge :D
...no pics tho' they didn't hang around...
Hey Nick,
Presumably, they pedaled off, ringing their bells as they went? :lol:

Trev
Did they look like this ?
peacockonbike3.JPG
peacockonbike3.JPG (34.28 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

Charles :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I remember some photos from late last summer of Peacocks (mostly) in an appalling state, with shredded wings and missing many scales, probably because they had emerged from the pupa in the worst of the summer rain. Are these likely to be the same tatty Peacocks people are seeing now?
tmhotten

Post by tmhotten »

Near the end of the month but the beautiful spring weather is bound to produce some hibernators so I wasn't surprised to see a male Brimstone flying at Wisley Gardens. Quite what he would make of the Blue Morphos in the Glasshouse is another matter.

Terry Hotten
jellyang

Post by jellyang »

I spotted a very confused looking Peacock today. It fluttered quite close to my Grandaughters face.
We have had some reasonable days here in Norfolk but today was overcast , breezy & quite chilly.
Still it was a nice suprise!

Angie
Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Small White - University of Sussex, Falmer.
Also a Brimstone (m) Kingston near Lewes, E Sussex
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
I spent a very pleasant afternoon walking around some local woods with a West Sussex County Council Ranger, looking at ways of improving some areas for the benefit of Pearl-bordered Fritillary. In the warm, sunny conditions we saw our first butterflies of the year - a pair of Comma getting frisky. Battered or not, this one put a big smile on my face! :D
Neil
Attachments
P1070038_edited-1.jpg
P1070038_edited-1.jpg (229.05 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

We had the warmest day of the year down here in Crawley on Friday 27th February (14 Degrees) and therefore a lot of butterfly activity. In total there were 7 on the wing - 3 Red Admiral, 2 Comma, a Male Brimstone and a possible Peacock. I also have a Peacock still hibernating in the shed.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sussex Kipper wrote:a pair of Comma getting frisky. Battered or not, this one put a big smile on my face! :D
My train of though is getting thoroughly confused. So apologies for the muddled thinking.

Haven't spoken for a while. How is the new lady fried Neil?

Jack
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Went out today as it was the warmest day this year here as far as I know. The sun was shining and hoped to see a butterfly of somekind. Saw none at all even though though minus the odd rain shower the weather seemed right to see butterflies, not sure why I never saw any. I got caught in rain showers as they passed, but I got this rainbow though (I ran into a middle of a large field and shot it while getting rained on):

Edit: Its March now, not february. Hoping March is more eventful on butterflies than february for me.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
She's taking a serious interest in butterflies (even came out hunting Brown Hairstreak eggs in January) and has already declared Adonis Blue as her favourite. That's just from looking at photos (which seldom do the species 'justice'), so I'm sure that the real thing will have her bowled over.
Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Adonis Blue is one of my favourites but sadly, we don't get them anywhere near here.

Once she "notices" (although undoubtedly seen before) a male Orange Tip, she will be really hooked. I think that is my absolute favourite simply because it means that spring really has arrived. Six weeks to go I reckon.

My Orange Tip pupae are still hibernating in the fridge. I don't bring them out until well into April as otherwise they are apt to emerge unsuitably early. I once deliberately kept one pupa in the fridge over two winters and it happily emerged the best part of two years after it was an egg. I wonder how many years would be possible?

Jack
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Why do scientists bother ploughing millions into Cryogenic Freezing when we already have your fridge Jack? :)
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

jackharr wrote:Adonis Blue is one of my favourites but sadly, we don't get them anywhere near here.

Once she "notices" (although undoubtedly seen before) a male Orange Tip, she will be really hooked. I think that is my absolute favourite simply because it means that spring really has arrived. Six weeks to go I reckon.

My Orange Tip pupae are still hibernating in the fridge. I don't bring them out until well into April as otherwise they are apt to emerge unsuitably early. I once deliberately kept one pupa in the fridge over two winters and it happily emerged the best part of two years after it was an egg. I wonder how many years would be possible?

Jack
its the conditions around the pupae that can make the OT's overwinter two yeara before they hatch out as adults. I am still waiting for mine to emerge this month, but I am not sure how long an egg could survive. I know the green oak tortrix can surviv 7 years as a pupae before it hatches as an adult, depending on contiditons outside.

I have had my OT pupae since last July or start of August. When do you think it will emerge as an adult?
Cheers all,
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Dave
I have had my OT pupae since last July or start of August. When do you think it will emerge as an adult?
I have found if kept in a garage with occasional light when doors open but out of direct sunlight, OTs often emerge two or three weeks earlier than their wild cousins - which isn't a lot of good when I release them (nectaring plants of course coincide with natural emergence). I can't predict precisely when I'll bring mine out of the fridge as this depends on the weather. I guess around mid-April and then with gentle warming up (in the semi-lit garage) they will emerge some two weeks later at the same time as the wild ones. They will then be released more or less where they came from but with such a widespread species as OT exact release location isn't all that important. But it certainly would be very important for a local species not to release in a place where they don't occur naturally (unless special introduction measures, permission, etc)

Jack

Return to “Sightings”