December 2008 votes

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.

Who do you want to vote for ?.

Poll ended at Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Shirley Roulston
3%
Gwenhwyfar
No votes
Padfield
4%
Charles Nicol
1%
JohnB
11%
Birdy43
No votes
Pete Eeles
5%
Geniculata
4%
Twitcher
1%
Eccles
12%
Denise
1%
Sussex Kipper
4%
Dave McCormick
3%
Fishiee
25%
Markulous
4%
M_Galathea
No votes
Gruditch
15%
Deano
No votes
Keith Woonton
No votes
NickB
5%

Total votes: 73

Charles Nicol

Re: December 2008 votes

Post by Charles Nicol »

NickB wrote:
Smelly jeans (no offense Charlie!) seem to be a favourate....
(tho' I'm sure the shrimp paste may also have something to do with it as well!)

NickB
i don't know if my trousers smell of shrimps.... any volunteers out there ?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

charles

ps i am putting some more of the emperor/trouser pics on the photo albums... complete with antennae
NickB

Post by NickB »

Hamearis wrote:
Any tips for them would be handy
fishee
Strumpshaws good, wet meadows best.
But the cottage at NR339070 gets em in the garden, and they dont mind you going in after them.
Ham
Strumpshaw RSPB. Last year they were flying from early/mid May - peak is around end May/Start June. Didn't visit to see second brood, tho' there usually is one July/August....

Saw plenty - tho' difficult to photograph - and yes, the guy in the cottage is welcoming and very knowledgeable about Swallowtails and he doesn't mind a bit! (My GVW's in "More than one" comp from his garden!)
In fact he is worried that continental immigrants may take-over in time and is anxious for future of ssp britannicus.

In reserve, boardwalk is also good area for seeing them fly!
How Hill is also another - didn't get round to visiting tho'...
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Thanks all. Sounds like there must be a few about given thay can be found at several sites. I always assumed there were only a dozen or so seen each year until recently! If I went I'd go for a weekend and explore the whole place! Trouble is I can't get there between mid-may and early July :(
johnb

Post by johnb »

Thank you for the critque FISHIEE , I have now run my shot though neat image and will try and remember about cropping regards the antennae in the future . Thanks again I will try and take your advice for the next time. John
Deano

Post by Deano »

Thank you FISHiEE for your constructive comments on my Comma close up photo.
Regarding the discussion on Swallowtails in Norfolk and Suffolk, does anyone know if they can still be seen at Hickling Broad in Norfolk? I went there way back in 1984, and 1986, and I saw several on both occasions. I just wondered if they were still about there? Also, I know that Fennel is extremely common in and around the area of Southwold in Suffolk, so why do you not see Swallowtails there does anyone reckon?
Regards
Deano.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Thanks FISHiEE for the comment. It was notmy best shotI'd agree, but it was one of the few close up shots I actually had. Next time I'll have something better.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
NickB

Post by NickB »

Deano wrote: Regarding the discussion on Swallowtails in Norfolk and Suffolk, does anyone know if they can still be seen at Hickling Broad in Norfolk?
Also, I know that Fennel is extremely common in and around the area of Southwold in Suffolk, so why do you not see Swallowtails there does anyone reckon?
Regards
Deano.
So far as I know - Hickling Broad is still a good place...
And foodplant is Milk Parsley, Deano, for UK ssp of Swallowtail so far as I am aware....others I'm sure have the definitive word!
N
Deano

Post by Deano »

Dave McCormick wrote:So far as I know - Hickling Broad is still a good place...
And foodplant is Milk Parsley, Deano, for UK ssp of Swallowtail so far as I am aware....others I'm sure have the definitive word!
Thanks Nick.
I remember the Milk Parsley being used by britannicus at Hickling, I just wondered if the Fennel would be attractive to laying females as I know the larvae will eat it in captivity. Also, does anyone know if Milk Parsley plants can be bought anywhere for home rearing purposes?
Best regards
Deano.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Deano wrote:
Dave McCormick wrote:So far as I know - Hickling Broad is still a good place...
Thanks Nick.
I remember the Milk Parsley being used by britannicus at Hickling, I just wondered if the Fennel would be attractive to laying females as I know the larvae will eat it in captivity. Also, does anyone know if Milk Parsley plants can be bought anywhere for home rearing purposes?
Best regards
Deano.
I have not had a chance to check, but you might look here: http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/ is has hundreds of various seeds, wildplants, and more.Might be a good place to look. I get seeds from here sometimes.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Deano

Post by Deano »

Hi Dave
Thanks for that link - I will check it out and see if there's anything that I could use.
Best wishes
Deano.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Hi Deano
Milk Parsley seeds from:
http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chiltern ... d/31512796

Regards
Nick
Deano

Post by Deano »

Fantastic! Thank you very much for your help Nick!
Best wishes
Deano

Return to “Competitions”