Snow

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
Shirley Roulston

Re: Snow

Post by Shirley Roulston »

It must be quite warm after the snow Guy, otherwise why should the butterfly come out :) it wouldn't last long here, its was more freezing to-night than last night and I opened an upstairs window and got a sunset and got into trouble- letting all the heat out :D
Shirley
100_9080.jpg
100_9080.jpg (27.63 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Hey look at your windows this morning!
And we are expecing more later, I love the snow! Who else has it? I can image most of the UK!
Just found that my school is closed for the day as well, so it can't get much better then that really!

I am going to go out in it and make a snow angel and things - I am never too old for snow angels!
What's your favourite activity to do in the snow?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

My favourite activity in the snow is butterfly-hunting. Here's a small tortoiseshell, photographed today, 2nd Feb, in the same frame as some snow! This was on my lunchtime dog-walk, at about 950m.

It's a bit of a rubbish picture, but it wouldn't sit any closer to the snow. :( The butterfly is at the bottom left of the picture, Emily - I hope you can see it!

This is the sheltered corner where it was flying:

You can see the snow has melted a lot at this altitude. This is because the Föhn, our hot wind, blew today, scything through the snow and ice. 'Föhn' means 'hairdryer' in German.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Snow... butterfly .... Snow .... Butterfly. I'd never thought you'd be able to find them both on the same day!
I didn't notice any butterflies, I was hurtling down a hill doing my favourite winter activity... sledging! I went down all the hills I could find! There is a big one that is popular, the person next to me was using an airbed!! Now that's inventive!
I've also done
- giant snowball
- snowman, which is more of a snowthing
- snow angel
- snow ball fight
But no butterflies, I guess by you Guy, the snow has thawed a bit, were as here it's a gaint blanket!
eccles

Post by eccles »

We had our own fairy grotto three days ago in Willsbridge Valley near Bristol. We've had a lot more snow since but I got up shortly after dawn on that day and the light was superb.

Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Great pics Eccles. Its been a mix here. Rain where I live and snow 12 miles away. It even hailed for a time. I would have liked to get a few shots of snow, especially on the mountains, but I kinda somehow managed to messed up the sensor on my camera when trying to clean it, so I have to send it away to get fixed, so I don't really have a camera at moment.

Anyway, enough of my no camera rant, its not been too bad here. Snow in a lot of areas, but mostly just sunny and cold where I live with the occational snow and rain for little bits.

Kinda makes you think though, snow hits the UK and much of the place grinds almost to a halt, but other places in the world get snow and can do something about it. We need to be more prepared, even if snow does not always fall that often here.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

i made this snow installation...entitled

Nel Mezzo Del Cammin
3255872592_6e45764816_o.jpg
3255872592_6e45764816_o.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

i think it is Turner prize material :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

charles

ps not the Whitbread prize which is for books :oops: :oops:
eccles

Post by eccles »

There was a Souza painting featured on the Antiques Roadshow yesterday. The art expert mentioned that it looked better when view from a distance. I knew what he meant, the further away the better. Yours is a much better effort, Charles, and because it's made with the materials at hand, much more spontaneous. :)
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

thanks for that critique of my artwork eccles !!
unfortunately the top half has now melted so it won't appear at auction :oops: :oops:

charles

Return to “Weather”