January 2009 votes

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.

Who would you like to vote for.

Poll ended at Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:19 pm

Susie
6%
Paul
2%
Twitcher
1%
Fourwings
1%
Charles Nicol
No votes
Birdy43
6%
Sussex Kipper
2%
Janwennekes
2%
Polly
7%
Sunsetoneuk
No votes
Xmilehigh
2%
M_galathea
14%
Mouse
2%
Dave McCormick
No votes
Roundwood123
1%
Rogerdodge
4%
Shirley Roulston
3%
Fishiee
4%
Gwenhwyfar
18%
NickB
4%
Keith Woonton
7%
Gruditch
2%
Jackharr
1%
Geniculata
5%
Padfield
3%

Total votes: 95

Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

January 2009 votes

Post by Gruditch »

This thread is here to allow you to cast your votes for the January 2009 competition. See entries at gallery's, photo competition, January 2009. Voting closes on the 20TH.

You need to be registered and logged into the forums, where you'll be able to cast your votes for your three favourites. Once you've voted, that's it!

Please note : Any self votes will be removed !.

Gruditch
NickB

Re: January 2009 votes

Post by NickB »

Tough one this month!
Makes one realise what an eclectric and talented lot the UKB forum represents 8)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Do they have to be your own photos, or can you just use anyone's?

One of them looks rather familiar...
eccles

Post by eccles »

:lol: They have to be your own.
Which one is familiar? My entry for February was previously entered in the 'behaviour' competition, which I presume is allowed.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

eccles... it sounds as if someone has passed off someone else's picture as their own... re-submitting your own pic is a far lesser offence :wink:

charles

ps it wasn't me
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

NickB
You have (possibly inadvertently) created a lovely portmanteau word in "ecletric".
A combination of electric and eclectic.
Pretty accurate I would say!
Cheers
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

The Dusky Heath looks remarkably like a morphed version of a pic I put on the UKB site a while ago and was used for the BC calendar (maybe that's where it came from).

Not that I mind (quite flattered, actually) but I think copyright should rest with the photographer and permission sought (which I would have been happy to give).

Roger
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Usually it goes without saying, that you should only use an image taken by yourself, for a competition entry.
But I did say, "all the stuff you would consider a bit naughty in a normal comp, up to you, anything goes". So fair play Dave, you caught me out this time. :lol:

Gruditch
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

:lol: A bit cheeky, Dave!! I did wonder about that when I first saw it, because I hadn't heard of dusky heath being seen in Ireland, and I even checked Tim's, Matt's, Roger's and JKT's websites! But the morphing was too good because I failed to spot the butterfly (facing the other way) on Roger's site.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

If Dusky Heaths reach Northern Ireland, I think we can conclude that global warming had arrived!
NickB

Post by NickB »

Rogerdodge wrote:NickB
You have (possibly inadvertently) created a lovely portmanteau word in "ecletric".
A combination of electric and eclectic.
Pretty accurate I would say!
Cheers
Roger
And I didn't know I was that clever! (My old English master would be mortified!)
:mrgreen:
N
describes us lot well indeed...
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Sorry, I thought if it were a "photoshopped" contest no one would mind, but I would not normally do that, I'd usually use my own photos all the time. :oops:
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
NickB

Post by NickB »

Nice one Dave - I like the no-holds-barred interpretation of the rules, and I'm sure no one has been really offended :wink:
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Congratulations to Gwenhwyfar, and M-galathea, a clear first and second respectively. Also congrats to Keith Woonton and Polly, for their joint third place. And of course well done to everyone that entered. :)

Gruditch
Denise

Post by Denise »

I applaud you all. I find editing photographs a very hard task indeed, and Photoshop is still a nightmare for me.
There were some really excellent creations this month and it was very hard to choose.

Congratulations Lisa, a brilliant composition.
Alexander, your entry was so professional looking that I thought it must be a book cover. :oops:
Keith , very clever manipulation of a RA image.
Polly, quite different and unique.

My top three were Lisa, Sussex Kipper and Rogerdodge.
Worth a mention for clever, unique or just beautiful entries (in my humble opinion) are
Susie, Fourwings, Birdy43, Gary and geniculata.

Well done everyone
Denise
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Well done to everyone... that was great fun. I too thought that Fritillaries of Dartmoor was a genuine book cover !!

I did not actually use photoshop; i prefer freebies & used Photofiltre & MS Paint to alter my Privet Moth.

Charles
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Thank you very much to the seventeen people who voted for my effort, for me the winner was m_galathea with his excellent Fritillaries of Dartmoor creation, I can't tell you how many times I've gone and looked at it and studied it trying to figure out how you get it to blend so well. I loved the whole design it is just outstanding.

Geniculata got my second vote - this entry was so 'neatly' done on an already great shot. It's very easy to add something to an image, but getting it to look like it should naturally be there, is a different matter all together.

I really loved watching the entries roll in for this one - well done all, you really do have great imaginations.
geniculata

Post by geniculata »

Firstly I would like to thank you lisa for your very generous remarks on my image. Like you the winner for me was m_galathea in a thoroughly rounded display of both ability and imagination in the use of photoshop. Also worth mentioning I feel are the effort and skill applied to pauls "mach 2" and the subtlety of the rendering in mouses "hope" which i feel should have fared better in the voting and indeed had my votes. Thanks also to anyone else who voted for my image which I hope gave some degree of pleasure. :wink:
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Thanks Geniculata!
(I was mouse - username change!)
I like doing the photoshop ones, even though I am not particually that great on photoshop!
Sorry guys, I am still not in a position to be able to vote or comment on your images, but I always remember Gwenhwyfar being an excellent photographer! Well-done to everyone!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Congratulations to Gwenhwyfar, a well deserved winner! Well done to all the runners up too. :D

Return to “Competitions”