Wiltshire

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Jack Harrison

Wiltshire

Post by Jack Harrison »

I’m making plans for next season. I have various ideas and want to make the most of what is a very limited season.

Wiltshire at the end of May is certainly on the short list. I used to live there when based at RAF Lyneham and know how good it can be. Somerford Common should be worth a visit. (It was a regular for me in the 1970s). I doubt that Pearl Bordered or SPB still survive but Marsh Frit might just hang on and perhaps also Duke of B.

The other spot I have in mind is the downland to the east of Calstone Wellington (SE of Calne) where I understand that today there are strong colonies of Adonis Blue. I never tried that downland when I lived in the area so am not quite so familiar (Surprisingly, I never saw Adonis Blue near the Cherhill White Horse – indeed, I was rather disappointed with that hillside).

So any pointers to the best spots at Calstone Downs? Map references including best parking are ideal. I am hoping to be fully mobile by May but at my age (70), I want to minimize the hill climbing.

Jack
eccles

Re: Wiltshire

Post by eccles »

Hazelbury Common near Box might be worth a visit, Jack. You can park right next to the common and there are no steep hills. In May can be found a small colony of adonis blue, decent numbers of marsh fritillary plus lots of dingy skipper and marbled white.

Near Calne is Morgan's Hill. I wonder if this is the site you're referring to? It's a good butterfly spot, and supposed to be good for MF and AB but there's a fair walk from the parking spot to the reserve. It's quite easy going but it's an uphill walk.

At Somerford Common, I've looked for marsh fritillary without success but later in the season I found SW fritillary and white admiral. I found plenty of devil's bit scabious which is MF's foofplant so the butterfly may still be there in small numbers.

Red Lodge Wood isn't too far from Somerford and is also home to SWF and WA. In the past there have been WL hairstreak but disease badly hit the main colony's elm last year. The main ride is wide and access is easy.

THE place for SWF including valesina is Clanger Wood just south of Trowbridge. Again, there's plenty of parking and access is easy.

Maybe we can meet up some time in May, or later in the season, Jack.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Eccles and Jack-

Let's make a good, old fashioned, day of it.

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... f=3&t=2935
"June 16th 1836......went to Reach Chalk Pits and though we were there as soon as 9:00am almost all the petals of the Glaucium were fallen off.
Then we went into a beer shop and took two gallons of beer into Burwell Fen..........
I'm game!

Roger
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I had sent this privately to Eccles as I wasn't sure anyone else would be interested. So this is what I wrote to him:

Hazelbury Common near Box might be worth a visit.

I can find Hazlebury Manor on the maps but can’t locate the Common.

Near Calne is Morgan's Hill. I wonder if this is the site you're referring to?
I suspect that is the place I had in mind. Yes, it does look a little steep on the map.

At Somerford Common, I've looked for marsh fritillary without success.
I would find them (1970s) to west of the road in one small area of very damp woodland, approx SU026868, but never more than one or two. Even 35 years ago, clearly it was a fragile colony.

Red Lodge Wood isn't too far from Somerford and is also home to SWF and WA.

I certainly found good numbers of SWF and WA in Red Lodge, but never saw any at Somerford. But I suspect that Somerford was far more open all those years ago and habitat is better suited for SWF and WA today (but of course less so for the small Frits).

In the past there have been WL hairstreak

Yes along the main ride. However, WLH was a roadside butterfly in North Wilts (eg Minety, Cricklade areas) and one day I went on a search and found them at almost every place I stopped where there was bramble beneath an elm. But I guess the elms have long since gone. Red Lodge used to be difficult to access with the need to climb over a tall gate to get to the main ride. Is it more open access now?

THE place for SWF including valesina is Clanger Wood just south of Trowbridge. Again, there's plenty of parking and access is easy.

I have been there in the past (I think) but certainly had SWF and Was in good numbers at nearby Green Lane Wood in 2005 (or was it 2006?)

Maybe we can meet up some time in May, or later in the season.

Good idea. I have so many things to fit in to a very short season.

Jack
Denise

Post by Denise »

Count me in too!

[Hazelbury Common near Box might be worth a visit.
I can find Hazlebury Manor on the maps but can’t locate the Common.]

The common is right next door to the manor house. In fact the back garden runs parallel.

Denise
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sorry, I still am confused. Map Reference please.

Jack
Denise

Post by Denise »

Sorry Jack, I don't have a map reference, but Eccles might.
He is more qualified to answer this question.

Denise
eccles

Post by eccles »

From a UKB post I made in 2007 when talking about chalkhill blues:

From Bath head east on the A4 about 6 miles until you reach Box. At the traffic lights take the right fork on the A365. About a mile up the road is an unclassified road on the left. Turn into this road. The common is both sides of the road towards the top of the road. The turn off is quite easy to miss so alternatively you can continue up the A365 to the traffic lights and turn left up the B3109. The same unclassified road is about 1/2 mile up this road on your left. You should spot the entrance to Hazelbury Manor which is at the top of the common. The bigger part of the common is on the left hand side when facing up the hill and is where most of the chalkhills will be found. There are several pull-ins where you can park, or alternatively there's parking off the B3109 just past the manor entrance behind a little chapel (Chapel Plaister) on your right.
Grid ref for the common: ST839678
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Not quite where I thought it was. The habitat does look very small. Thanks for the info.

Somerford Common transect (Wilts BC) mentions Marsh Frit. It also mentions Small PB and The Duke. But a little vague as to dates, possibly hopeful in view of old records.

Jack
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Jack

This was well started and thanks to Eccles and Denise for the info on Hazelbury Common ....

You mentioned Morgan's Hill - I have been there several times searching for Duke of Burgundy (which i have never found despite assurances for Wilts Wildlife Officers) and I can inform you that the Marsh Fritillary exists in several locations on this site. I am quite willing to send a plan but as you stated the site is steep and quite difficult to access if you are not fully ambulant - however there is a paved footath/cycleway to the north of the site and one colony exists very close to this.

Maurice Avent has discussed Colerne Woods with me over the winter - have any of you seen White Letter Hairstreaks at this location?

Mike

Return to “Sites”