Butterflies at Wisley

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Susie

Butterflies at Wisley

Post by Susie »

At RHS Wisley, Surrey, they are having an indoor butterfly event called butterflies under glass or something. It is only tropical butterflies but better than nowt and I could certainly do with a butterfly fix at the moment. It starts on Sunday I believe. :D
Matsukaze

Re: Butterflies at Wisley

Post by Matsukaze »

I have wondered whether sharing info on butterfly houses might be a good idea - it would help alleviate some of the withdrawal symptoms in the winter.

Must go over to the new one at Bristol zoo sometime soon.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I'm hoping to visit Wisley next week so I shall report back and would be interested on feedback from anyone else who goes.

I have been to a couple of butterfly houses but they haven't been as good as the one that used to be at Syon.

I am hoping for good things from the new project near St Albans when it opens.
tmhotten

Post by tmhotten »

I visited Wisley this morning and it was very crowded due to a delayed opening for a press call. It is well worth making a visit as there are many large butterflies flying throughout the tropical section of the Glasshouse from the Stratford Butterfly House. The identification board shows 20 species up to the Owl Butterfly, four of which were feeding from over-ripe pineapple. I gave up trying to take photographs as I couldn't keep my macro lens unsteamed. I will be prewarned for my next visit. The butterflies are on display until Feb 22 although I imagine that any remaining will carry on flying. Recommended for anyone in the area especially if you are an RHS member.
Terry Hotten
Susie

Post by Susie »

I was there today too. :D

I would thoroughly recommend it as well. I haven't been to Wisley before and it is a splendid place. I imagine when I go back in the spring and summer there will be plenty of native butterfly species too because the planting looks like it will be very good.

I liked the garden centre. I managed to get my Abelia Chinensis there which I have been after for a while.

The gentleman on the butterfly conservation stall is now considering planting blackthorn in his garden. Another convert to the cause! 8)

PS. It took 30 minutes for my lense to unsteam :lol:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Susie

I was there today too and was keeping an eye out in case I saw you but I didn't. It is really hot in there so if you go wear a t-shirt. I can endorse all the positive comments. I also heard a few folk say they had been earlier in the week and had hardly seen any butterflies so perhaps it was the overcast conditions? A few photos enclosed as a taster. Did anyone see a glasswing as I couldn't find one?

Pauline
Attachments
DSC01720a.JPG
DSC01720a.JPG (96.55 KiB) Viewed 911 times
DSC01679a.JPG
DSC01679a.JPG (192.4 KiB) Viewed 911 times
DSC01657a.JPG
DSC01657a.JPG (83.63 KiB) Viewed 910 times
DSC01646a.JPG
DSC01646a.JPG (172.55 KiB) Viewed 909 times
DSC01636a.JPG
DSC01636a.JPG (69.33 KiB) Viewed 909 times
DSC01632a.JPG
DSC01632a.JPG (125.21 KiB) Viewed 906 times
Polly

Post by Polly »

Nice photos Pauline :D

How did you manage with your lens not steaming up? There must be a knack...

I am hoping to also pay a visit there after reading all these positive comments; unfortunately it would have to be at the weekend when there will be lots more people.

Polly
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Polly

As Susie says, coming in from the cold it takes about 20 mins for the camera to stop steaming up but even then in the most humid places you just have to keep wiping the lens. Everyone had the same problem. It was quite crowded today but there was an awful lot of butterfly activity so it was not difficult to get photos. Hope you enjoy your visit but wear something cool as it is like a sauna in there.

Pauline
Susie

Post by Susie »

Pauline wrote:Hi Susie

I was there today too and was keeping an eye out in case I saw you but I didn't. It is really hot in there so if you go wear a t-shirt. I can endorse all the positive comments. I also heard a few folk say they had been earlier in the week and had hardly seen any butterflies so perhaps it was the overcast conditions? A few photos enclosed as a taster. Did anyone see a glasswing as I couldn't find one?

Pauline
I didn't see any glasswings either. I love your pictures, so much better than mine!

What do you look like, Pauline? We need a photo of you in the rogues gallery! If it is any consolation I didn't look a bit like me :lol: I've got blonde hair now and I knew it was going to be hot and humid so I left it curly and wore it up. It ended up a mass of hanging down ringlets and I looked a right old mess (actually, yes, a right old mess is what I usually end up looking like so I did look like me :lol: ).

I was chatting to a lady who works in the garden centre and she was saying exactly what you said above, the first time she went into the glasshouse it was overcast and the butterflies weren't flying, they were just sitting around in corners. I am so glad I went today, it was a joy!

People wearing glasses had the same problem as the camera regarding steaming up.
tmhotten

Post by tmhotten »

I am very impressed by the results posted above. I spent 30mins trying to de-mist my macro lens and gave up after three foggy attempts. I have had the same problem with the orchids there. Whilst I awaited entrance I watched some of the larger beasts flying high into the roof from outside, so they appreciated the sun.

Terry Hotten
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Susie

Check out Rogues Gallery. I hate having my photo taken and will probably regret posting it in the morning..... that's the trouble with a couple of glasses of wine!!!

Pauline
Susie

Post by Susie »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/7844219.stm

Fame at last (you have to read right down to the very end). :lol:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Susie wrote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/7844219.stm

Fame at last (you have to read right down to the very end). :lol:

I just love the image that your "flying flowers" creates in my mind... :wink:

Polly
Susie

Post by Susie »

It was said in the context of the majority of the people in the glasshouse probably being more interested in plants than insects but that I hoped that they would see that native butterflies could add an extra dimension to their gardens and they would plant nectar rich flowers and caterpillar food plants to encourage them in.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Susie wrote:It was said in the context of the majority of the people in the glasshouse probably being more interested in plants than insects but that I hoped that they would see that native butterflies could add an extra dimension to their gardens and they would plant nectar rich flowers and caterpillar food plants to encourage them in.
Rent-a-quote says:

"Susie Milbank, from West Sussex, who was visiting Wisley especially to see the butterflies, said she was already an enthusiast.

"It is a fabulous way to raise people's awareness of the ecology of butterflies and their lifecycle and to show people how beautiful they are," she said.

"They are like flying flowers." "

Ah, sweet! :mrgreen:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

When I was a very little boy indeed – I will not say how long ago – I loved butterflies much better than books, and the teachings of Nature much better than the teachings of governesses, and I recollect, as well as if it were yesterday, the first butterfly I ever saw: it was sitting on a leaf, and I called out, “Oh, look, what a beautiful flower!” and I tried to pick it, but away it flew; and I recollect that I cried out, “The beautiful flower has flown away.” How lasting are early impressions! I have never forgotten that butterfly, and to this hour I cannot disconnect the idea of a butterfly and a flying flower.
Edward Newman, in 1869.

http://www.archive.org/stream/britishbu ... 00newmrich

Return to “General”