September 2024

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: September 2024

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:18 amHuge numbers of Red Admiral overnight at both Sandwich Bay and Dungeness bird obs ,with up to a hundred reported along the Dungeness power station wall
That's good to hear, Allan. Any Clouded Yellows amongst them?
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

One had been blown in at Felixstowe (Landguard) this morning
Attachments
Clouded yellow.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Those reports from Dungeness and Sandwich Bay ,quite took me by surprise David as the weather overnight here in Kent was pretty awful .Hopefully the weather may improve and it will be interesting to see whats reported from other areas .I'll be keeping an eye open for some interesting finds from the local Moth-ers .
Haven't heard of any Cloudies locally as yet (apart from 1 or2 on Grain at Cliffe ) but see that Trev has just posted a sighting ......so fingers crossed !
Allan.W.
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

Trev Sawyer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:51 pm One had been blown in at Felixstowe (Landguard) this morning
That is great news Trev, hopefully I will come across one or two Clouded Yellow just south of you here in Essex too. 3 more Painted Lady but currently no signs of large numbers of Red Admiral or Clouded Yellow.
Painted Lady<br />Great Notley Country Park 06/09/2024
Painted Lady
Great Notley Country Park 06/09/2024
Also at Great Notley Country Park this afternoon were good numbers of the whites with 25 Large White, 16 Small White and still some activity from the male and female Green-veined White all of which were looking quite fresh.
Green-veined White female<br />Great Notley Country Park
Green-veined White female
Great Notley Country Park
And the Small Heath [19] are still having a good year:
Small Heath<br />Great Notley Country Park 06/09/2024
Small Heath
But the Common Blue [4 M & 1 F] are looking very worn and tatty:
Common Blue male<br />Great Notley Country Park 06/09/2024
Common Blue male
All-in-all, not a bad day in North Essex considering the day started with mist and was overcast for much of the morning with 10 species and 89 butterflies seen.
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

I went to Wallasea Island today to search for Clouded Yellow but I was unsuccessful. However, I did come across 5 fresh Wall Brown, including a pair in cop, and another Painted Lady. There were also good numbers of Red Admiral [18] flying in from the north-east, presumably from Scandinavia?
Wall Brown in cop<br />Wallasea Island 07/09/2024
Wall Brown in cop
Wallasea Island 07/09/2024
Other highlights included a couple of fresh Small Copper, 5 Brown Argus, and good numbers of Common Blue [21] - some fresh, others worn - with all the females I found of the brown variety:
Common Blue female<br />Wallasea Island 07/09/2024
Common Blue female
Common Blue male<br />Wallasea Island 07/09/2024
Common Blue male
Small Copper female<br />Wallasea Island 07/09/2024
Small Copper female
The most abundant continued to be Green-veined White [42] and Small Heath [34], with another 19 Small and 15 Large White.
Large White female<br />Wallasea Island 07/09/2024
Large White female
There was also a couple of fresh Peacock, a Holly Blue and a single Meadow Brown. 13 Species with 166 butterflies seen.
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
millerd

Post by millerd »

Mostly cloudy, but warm, windless and bright (at least it wasn't raining...) at Aston Rowant this morning. There were probably three figures of Meadow Browns (some very fresh), but only small numbers of everything else. Notable were a few Adonis Blues...
AB2 070924.JPG
AB3 070924.JPG
...and a handful of Silver-spotted Skippers.
SSS1 070924.JPG
SSS3 070924.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Trev Sawyer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:51 pmOne had been blown in at Felixstowe (Landguard) this morning.
Great to see, Trev.

After initially thinking winds may blow from the east early this month, they've turned round to the west, so I fear this species will be in relarively short supply in the UK this autumn. :(
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

391 Red Admiral reported sighting on the North Essex coastline today at Holland-on-Sea nectaring on flowering Ivy along with more Painted Lady. Southerly winds. Posted on branch sighting page.
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
millerd

Post by millerd »

The wind only went round to the west today over here in SE England (the persistent rain and cloud we've been suffering for several days has all been coming with winds from the east/southeast and it certainly looks as though a few Painted Ladies and Red Admirals came along with it...).

Painted Ladies seen today both down at Denbies in the morning (one) and on my local patch this afternoon (two). Adonis and Chalkhill Blues are still soldiering on at Denbies, where 11 species were seen altogether.
AB1 080924.JPG
AB2 080924.JPG
I'd like to have seen this one when new...
I'd like to have seen this one when new...
...and this one too!
...and this one too!
Back home later, the 14 species flying locally included a brand new Peacock (second brood?), a pristine Red Admiral and a fresh male Common Blue.
PK1 080924.JPG
RA1 080924.JPG
CB1 080924.JPG
None of the Painted Ladies seen today stayed still long enough to be photographed.

Full reports in my PD before too long I hope.

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

HUGE ! numbers of Red Admirals still being reported from coastal Kent with "thousands passing through at Sandwich bay" even more remarkable is a count of 30,000 !! from a bird migration site in the Netherlands .....for anyone interested ,take a look at the Sandwich Bay bird obs Twitter page . Allan.W.
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

Allan.W. wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:51 am HUGE ! numbers of Red Admirals still being reported from coastal Kent with "thousands passing through at Sandwich bay" even more remarkable is a count of 30,000 !! from a bird migration site in the Netherlands .....for anyone interested ,take a look at the Sandwich Bay bird obs Twitter page . Allan.W.
wow!!! They seem to be coming into Essex too around Clacton-on-Sea & Walton-on-the-Naze, but at the moment in hundreds rather than thousands. Not sure the next three days, with rain and moderate north-westerly breeze forecast, will be conducive to going out to see for myself.

Hopefully now some Clouded Yellow will come over as well depending on how well they have done on the continent.
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:51 amHUGE ! numbers of Red Admirals still being reported from coastal Kent with "thousands passing through at Sandwich bay" even more remarkable is a count of 30,000 !! from a bird migration site in the Netherlands .....for anyone interested ,take a look at the Sandwich Bay bird obs Twitter page
:shock: :shock:

Amazing stats! Let's hope there are a few other migrant species amongst them.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:12 am
Allan.W. wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:51 amHUGE ! numbers of Red Admirals still being reported from coastal Kent with "thousands passing through at Sandwich bay" even more remarkable is a count of 30,000 !! from a bird migration site in the Netherlands .....for anyone interested ,take a look at the Sandwich Bay bird obs Twitter page
:shock: :shock:

Amazing stats! Let's hope there are a few other migrant species amongst them.
They could have brought the weather with them! :roll:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Saturday morning an Sunday just gone, garden watching in between the rain showers!!! Im 45+ miles inland from the Kent coast, but ive noticed a few butterflies on my Buddleia! Maybe they are from the recent "big migrant movement"?? 2 Painted Lady, 2+ Red Admiral so far! Others to note were 3 Large White, 1 Comma, 1 Small White, 1 Holly Blue.
Spent some time Sunday getting in close with a Painted lady feeding on the Buddleia, an just as the sun came out past 5.00pm, i captured a nice shot of it basking...but i had to climb up onto the fence, an lean right over one handed, just to make the shot!!
No images are cropped, location - 6 miles West of Maidstone, Kent. Cheers Paul.
P1511626-copy-to-800.jpg
P1533383-copy-to-800.jpg

Last image of the same Painted lady, basking up high, over my garden fence!
P1533620-copy-to-800.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The Shadow on the Wall.

Peacocks really numerous up here at the moment. Four- edit now eight - on a small Buddleia at one point. They like a rest from time to time.

Jack
Attachments
24-09-09-081-Peqacock.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cooler, breezy, and mostly cloudy today on my local patch. However, the Painted Ladies have made it from the coast and after two flybys yesterday one settled in front of me and sat there for some time.
PL1 090924.JPG
So settled was it that I could take close-up views from just a cm or two away.
PL2 090924.JPG
Other highlights were a brand new Brown Argus...
BA4 090924.JPG
BA7 090924.JPG
...yet another Small Copper, this one sporting couple of blue badges and noticeable tails...
SC1 090924.JPG
...and an unusually yellowy-cream female Small White.
SW1 090924.JPG
In what were not exactly ideal conditions I found 13 species altogether - full details to follow in my PD.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:43 pm..Other highlights were a brand new Brown Argus...
That's a beautiful example, Dave. :mrgreen:
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, David - she was rather splendid. :)

A very similar sort of day today as yesterday, though the wind was getting up ahead of the much colder weather moving down from the north tonight. it wasn't cold (a high of 19C), there were a few bright or even sunny intervals and I counted over 80 butterflies of 12 species on my local patch near Heathrow. There was clear evidence of the mass migration of Red Admirals observed along the SE coastline having moved inland, with 22 of the species seen (plus two Painted Ladies). I'd only spotted 3 the previous day.
RA1 100924.JPG
RA2 100924.JPG
The fresh Large Whites may have been migrants as well of course.
LW1 100924.JPG
A female Small Copper was an addition to their numbers locally - I've counted nine distinct individuals here this month so far.
SC1 100924.JPG
More detail to come in my PD in due course.

Dave
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

During the sunny spells in the garden today there were 3 Small White and 1 Green-veined White, plus 3 Large White, one of which bordered on ab. striata.
Large White - Crawley, Sussex 11-Sept-2024
Large White - Crawley, Sussex 11-Sept-2024
Then at 1.20 a female Brown Hairstreak made a fleeting visit, but was too quick for the camera.

Vince
millerd

A Clouded Yellow at last

Post by millerd »

Despite the large drop in temperature and the chilly northwesterly breeze, the good amounts of sunshine this morning seemed to invigorate the butterfly population on my local patch near Heathrow. As well as good numbers of the locals (9 Small Coppers for example), it appears to currently be a staging post for migrants - I counted 37 Red Admirals and 6 Painted Ladies today, plus one more butterfly that has been hard to find anywhere this year.

I was just in the process of muttering darkly at one of the Small Coppers for persistently chasing other butterflies when I realised what its latest target actually was - a male Clouded Yellow. In 2023, I saw my only example of the species all year here on my local patch (though I had to wait until the end of October for that one), and I had not seen another one since. This one was avidly nectaring, flying from flower to flower in rapid succession, but eventually I managed to catch up with it.
CY1 110924.JPG
CY3 110924.JPG
CY4 110924.JPG
By a complete fluke I managed a reasonably clear open-wing photo too.
CY2 110924.JPG
With 130+ butterflies and 14 different species today, there will be quite a chunky report to follow in my PD... :)

Dave

Return to “Sightings”