Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

That was a very nice surprise, Goldie! :D

Only seen three on home soil so far this year, and precious few on the continent as well.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post Wurzel and David, I'm still in shock for that one :D

I went to Temple Ewell today and got a big disappoint , I thought with all the flowers there the Butterflies would be numerous, only ones I saw were Gate Keepers, Large Whites, a few Meadow Browns nothing else at all, I was thinking we'd traveled a fair way for nothing, we decided to go onto the White Cliffs to get lunch and afterwards just a quick walk before heading home ,it was on the short walk I saw the Chalkhill Blue :D the grasses were high but I still managed a few shots, we saw only one so I'm thinking they're just coming out there , talk about lucky :D another good day after all :D Goldie :D
Attachments
69B62C14-7EBD-4396-B171-F2921C01B764_1_201_a.jpeg
F17F4EDB-B0B1-44FE-8066-85FEBD834643_1_201_a.jpeg
BEFD1889-3920-49CC-ACCA-CE395DEDA11C_1_201_a.jpeg
6609D2D2-6F8C-42E7-8F94-FB17E2FB7B5F_1_201_a.jpeg
A5451F89-2E35-446B-9D9B-F9EDCA9A570D_1_201_a.jpeg
49259B1F-4735-4907-A713-D55CDA1DAB71_1_201_a.jpeg
B4A0B6FB-1C35-4281-B195-970FDE2144CA_1_201_a.jpeg
9FB26BE8-98F4-4724-8BF3-6CC3F48726E0_1_201_a.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie,
I was at Temp ewell/Lydden on Monday morning.........very poor year for butterflies there this year .Very few Chalkhills ,especially compared to the massed of ranks last season .....few Common Blues,Brown Args ,no Dingys ,a couple of Small Blue and 1 Silver-Spot (At Temple Ewell).
I moved along the downland to the Lydden end........long story short ! found around a dozen to fifteen Silver- Spots there ,but not easy to find !
There is a bit of "hidden" downland between the two sites ,but it would probably be rather difficult for you to Access ......its VERY steep,but being sheltered probably the best spot at present for Silver Spots and Chalkhills .The one bright note .......good numbers of Wall Brown ,they seem to be having a good season .I,ve found them at two new sites locally ,where i,ve not seen them before.
Good Hunting ! Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Allan, you did much better than i did at Temple Ewell, I saw nothing of the Chalkhills there and certainly none of the others , it was a relief to find one on the cliffs at Dover, sadly I'm going to have to say fare well to Temple Ewell and concentrate on Dover, I've to use a walking stick now so limited to where I can go, I found the steps there a bit hard, talk about( the mind is willing but the body weak) :D I will probably go back to Reculver again for the Wall and nip up to the Woods once more, Thanks for your post, if you find some where with more excess for a wobbly lady let me know :lol: Goldie :D
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I,m sorry to hear that Goldie (ie;TE/L).......But all is not lost ! you still have some excellent easily accessible sites within a reasonable drive of your home .The Blean woods (Thornden ,east +West Blean ,Clowes and so on.Don,t forget the cliff top at St .Margarets bay by the monument.To the side of the monument there is an excellent little reserve (Nat trust)called Bockell hill .I,ve seen Small ,Common Blue all the commoner Browns and Whites ,and last season Swallowtail.Q of S frit is reported some years +Chalkhills ,Brown Args ,Dingys and some Adonis towards
Deal.......also a good area for Long-tailed Blue .Theres also the beach section between Walmer and Deal ,Tankerton Slopes ,Samphire Ho ! and the excellent reserve at Monckton.......to name but a few .
Good Hunting ! Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Allan, I've been to the one at St Margarets ages ago really I must try there again, I seem to have been to Blean Woods loads of times lately and not seen anything ,well ,always Gate Keepers, :D I get them in my garden so don't need to go looking far for them. :D

The last couple of days have been very hot and the Butterflies I've seen in my garden have been closed winged , the Holly Blue even hid in the Ivy :D I couldn't understand finding so few at Temple Ewell yesterday then i remembered maybe it's the lack of rain, this morning when I checked my Bird bath the Fox's had broken the top of the bowl I made ,I also noticed the Holly Blue come down to some water I'd spilt ,so tonight I'm going to put a small plastic dish out with water in , hope fully the non residents will enjoy that :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
B80A779B-1F4D-49D1-AA5B-80B206E5A6E3_1_201_a.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Chalkhill shots Goldie 8) they really are an attractive butterfly with all of their blended hues :D It's great to see Allan helping you out with sites - I look forward to your shots :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice work with the Chalkhill Blue, Goldie.

It's unusual to see just one. Normally there are dozens of them.

Return to “Personal Diaries”