Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wednesday 31st July.

Another warm and sunny morning so I decided to pop over the other side of Solihull for a walk around Blythe Valley Park. I arrived at 09.30 under mostly blue skies with just a bit of thin high level cloud and the temperature on my car display already reading 21 degrees.

As expected, the first butterflies seen were Gatekeepers with loads seen all around my usual circuit. I stopped counting at 50 but there were probably twice that many, difficult to be acurate though as I zig-zagged around a bit and no doubt saw some of the same ones repeatedly. These were mostly females with many of the males now looking warn and faded.
Gatekeeper female - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Meadow Brown numbers are dropping now, in fact they have not reached particularly high numbers here this year. I only saw around 30 today with many of those well past their best now.
Meadow Brown female - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Meadow Brown female - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Half a dozen or so Speckled Wood were flitting around in the parts of the paths through the small wooded sections.
Speckled Wood male - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Speckled Wood male - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Lots of Small/Essex Skippers were darting around in the warm sun and although I managed to identify a few of each, most of them were just too active to get close to.
Essex Skipper female - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Essex Skipper female - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Small Skipper female - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Small Skipper female - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
I was particularly on the lookout for Common Blues and was pleased to find a couple of fresh looking males, neither of which would open up despite me trying the trick of slowly moving the shade of my body over them. Just too warm I guess.
Common Blue male - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Common Blue male - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
I was also looking out for summer peacocks and found just one flying from flower to flower fueling up in readiness of tucking itself away for the winter. This is the first and so far only summer Peacock I have seen locally although I did see one a couple of weeks ago down at Snitterfield Bushes.
Peacock - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024

A single Comma was the only other vanessid seen during the couple of hours that I spent here.
Comma - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Comma - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
At least a dozen Green-veined Whites plus a couple of Large Whites were also seen this morning, mostly constantly onrth emove apart from the female below that settled briefly to escape the attentions of a male.
Green-veined White - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
Green-veined White - Blythe Valley 31.07.2024
By 11.00 it was feeling very warm so I made my way back to the car and headed home, the car display reading 26 degrees on the way back. For the first time so far this year I also saw a number of random whites flying across the road on my way back home.

I suppose it is tradional British weather for a few warm days to be followed by thunderstoms but as I write this on Thursday morning we are having a cracker here and I am looking out of the window at the rain coming down like stair-rods.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of shots Neil 8) I've said it before but I love that Essex shot, peering out from amid the petals 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:40 pm Lovely set of shots Neil 8) I've said it before but I love that Essex shot, peering out from amid the petals 8)
Cheers Wurzel. Yes, you can almost hear it say "Boo!"

Friday 2nd August.

After the thunderstorms yesterday morning it cleared up later and some warm sun produced a very humid and uncomforable day after all that rain. I had stuff to do anyway and didn't manage to go out although I did see a few butterflies in the garden including Speckled Wood (3), Gatekeeper (2) Holly Blue (2), Green-veined White (3) and Large White (2), most of which were just passing through.

This morning I paid my usual visit to my Mom during which I took a wander down to her local park. My thirty minute circuit produced the usual Gatekeepers (27) Speckled Wood (8) just a couple of faded Meadow Browns, half a dozen Small Skippers and a single worn Large Skipper, plus a couple of Green-veined Whites.
Gatekeeper female - Langley Hall 02.08.2024
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 02.08.2024
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 02.08.2024
Small Skipper - Langley Hall 02.08.2024
Small Skipper - Langley Hall 02.08.2024
Later in the afternoon I popped down to my local spot by Wagon Lane where my usual circuit produced a pretty underwhelming selection consisting of mostly worn and faded Gatekeepers (approx 35), a couple of aged Meadow Browns, half a dozen Speckled Wood, a few passing whites and singles of Comma and Common Blue. Most of these where very active in the warm afternoon sun and apart from a couple of Speckled Wood I didn't bother trying to photograph anything else.
Speckled Wood - Wagon Lane 02.08.2024
I have a busy Saturday tomorrow before heading down to Cornwall for a few days on Sunday morning. It looks like the weather is going to be a bit more unsettled down there next week but fingers crossed for some butterflies.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to the Cornish butterflies Neil :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:09 pm...I have a busy Saturday tomorrow before heading down to Cornwall for a few days on Sunday morning. It looks like the weather is going to be a bit more unsettled down there next week but fingers crossed for some butterflies...
Fingers duly crossed for you, Neil.

Hope you have a good trip.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel and David. Got back earlier this evening, it was a great trip. Details to follow as usual over the next few days as I get around to it

The Lizard - August 4th to 9th.

Since our daughter Sarah moved down to Emsworth in 2021 we have been down to see her a few times and usually stayed in a nearby B&B for a few days which gave me chance to explore the area. The downside to this is that we have ended up neglecting some of our other favourite parts of the country and this year we decided to rectify this with a few days down on The Lizard in Cornwall.

So it was that we set off down the M5 on the morning of Sunday 4th August under cloudy skies but with a forecast showing a mix of conditions in the south-west for the next few days. We stopped of for a while in Bristol to visit our youngest son Daniel and his wife Charlotte before continuing on our way and arriving at our B&B just turned 4.00pm. We had picked a different B&B to ones we had used previously, purely to try somewhere else and the next few days proved it to be an excellent choice.

The weather proved to be a real mix with lots of cloud but still warm (Monday, Wednesday) some clear blue skies with lots of warm sun (Tuesday) and low cloud and mizzle (Thursday). The only rain we saw were light showers during Tuesday and Wednesday nights and on Thursday morning when the mizzle would occasionally change to proper rain. Our hosts at the B&B told us that it has been very wet down there this year with bands of rain rolling in from the west.
Our B&B was within easy reach of Cadgwith, one of my favourite places on The Lizard and which was either a 20 minute walk along the narrow lanes or slightly longer by walking down to the coast path and then turning north. I had a my first walk there after unpacking our stuff at the B&B to stretch my legs after the drive down.
Cadgwith - August 4th 2024
I managed to have some good opportunities to look for butterflies, particularly my three targets for down there and have ended up with a few hundred photos to sort through so as usual will do some reports over the next few days as and when I get time to go thought them.

I will however start by mentioning Red Admirals, they were everywhere. The first couple greeted us on our arrival at the B&B on a buddleia in the front garden. Our bedroom overlooked this buddleia and there were two or three Red Admirals on it every day, even on Thursday when the rain and mizzle eased off later in the afternoon.
Red Admirals - On buddleia at our B&B 06.08.2024
Red Admirals - On buddleia at our B&B 06.08.2024
Similarly, every random buddleia that I saw on my wanderings, in gardens or just growing in odd spots, would play host to at least a couple.
Red Admiral - Down the lane opposite our B&B
Red Admiral - Down the lane opposite our B&B
They would also appear all along the hedgrows when I went for a wander along the lanes by our B&B and just about everywhere else we went.
Red Admiral - Coast path south of Poltescu
Red Admiral - Coast path south of Poltescu
Red Admiral - path from Lizard Village to the lighthouse 06.08.2024
Red Admiral - path from Lizard Village to the lighthouse 06.08.2024
I also saw just two Painted Ladies down there, the first one along the coast path to the south of Poltescu which flew past me and dissappeared off down the cliff.
The second one was much more docile. I spotted it when we went for a walk from Lizard village down to the lighthouse on Tuesday (6th) morning basking on the stone wall alongside the path where it stood out beautifully. I took a record shot in case it flew off but it sat there while I edged closed and closer while I fired off a few more shots.
Painted Lady - path from Lizard Village to the lighthouse 06.08.2024
Anyway, lots more photos to go through so,

To be continued...

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

The Lizard - Second Brood Small Pearls

My main target on this trip was second brood Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. My understanding is that The Lizard and some other locations in West Cornwall and on the towans of the north coast are still the only locations where these have a regular second brood, which can often be larger than the first brood. Other locations, including further inland in Cornwall, may have a second brood but this is often just partial or completely absent. Given the fact that I haven't been down here for three years and considering the poor weather that many areas , including Cornwall, had earlier in the season, I was curious to find out if I could still find them as easily as I did in past visits.

My first chance was on the afternoon of the Monday (August 5th). The morning had been a bit murky with low cloud and a drifting sea mist so we did a bit of touristy stuff which kept Jane happy. Later in the afternoon it cleared up a bit, still cloudy but with a varying thickness that sometimes allowed the sun to be seen as a faint disc above the clouds. It was quite warm too with temperatures varying from high teens to 20 degrees or so, although there was also a stiff breeze.
One of the spots where I had reliably found Small Pearls in the past was around Enys Head which is on the east side of the peninsular roughly half way between Cadgwith and Poltescu. I could have walked there from our B&B but decided to drive round to the National Trust car park at Poltescu from where I could walk to the coast path and have a shorter walk to Enys Head, thereby giving me more time to explore the area around the head.

I soon started to see lots of butterflies, mostly Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns and Large and Small Whites but didn't pay these much attention as I can see these at home. Arriving at the head itself it was apparent that the exposed slopes were catching the full force of the wind and any butterfly taking to the air was immediatly whisked away. In conditions like these you need to work any sheltered hollows and the leeward side of rocky outcrops and in doing so I was pleased to find my other two targets, but more on those in my next report.

To the south side of Enys Head there is an undercliff area which I had actually never checked before, having found SPBF on the slopes of the head itself easily enough. With the wind blowing across the head today, I figured that this area looked more sheltered and had a promising look so I zig-zagged my way along some animal tracks down to it.
Area to the south side of Enys Head.
Area to the south side of Enys Head.
There were lots more Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns plus a few Common Blues down here and then I spotted a brighter orange butterfly, a male SPBF.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Enys Head 05.08.2024
In the end I found another couple of males, both looking a bit worse for wear and a nice looking female before making my way back up and slowly wandering back to the car.
The next day (Tuesday August 6th) was a much brighter and warmer day with lots of blue sky once the early cloud had moved on. We went into Lizard village and walked down to the lighthouse on the morning and then in the afternoon Jane said I could disappear off somewhere. I decided to go to Kynance Cove, or rather the undercliff area to the south of the cove which has always proved productive in the past.
Kynance Cove itself was heaving with holidaymakers, which I suppose is only to be expected on a warm sunny afternoon in peak holiday season, and the coast path to Lizard Point was also very busy, but once down in the undercliff area I was on my own.
Undercliff Area to the south of Kynance Cove.
Undercliff Area to the south of Kynance Cove.

This area was exactly as I remembered it from my last visit three year ago and I soon spotted Small Pearls flitting about in the warm afternoon sun. There was a light breeze which combined with the occasional cloud slowed them down enough for them to land and bask enabling me to sneak up and get some photos. It was difficult to tell exact numbers due to how any one individual could be seen to fly over the whole area but I reckon that a conservative count of 12-15 would not be far wrong. Most were males in varying condition from well worn to fresh looking and there were also a few nice females to be found.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024
One male in particular caught my attention as being more faintly marked than usual.
On Wednesday afternoon I returned to the area around Enys Head which I had visited on Monday. Once again it had turned windy and with this wind having changed to come from the south, the undercliff area was now more exposed. It was another cloudy afternoon and had turned a bit cooler and this time I only found two Small Pearls, a worn male that could easily have been one of the worn ones I saw on Monday and a female that was definitely a different one to Mondays female.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Enys Head 07.08.2024
The weather on the Thursday (8th) was wet and murky with mizzle and light rain all day so I didn't get chance to look at any other locations. The Small Pearls certainly seemed to be doing well enough by Kynance Cove but I didn't really see enough to judge how they were doing elsewhere. Still, I was well chuffed to see those I did and to catch up with a species I had not seen for three years.

As mentioned above, I also saw my other two targets here and elsehere so these will feature in my next post.

To be continued...

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some great SPBF shots there, Neil. :mrgreen: :) I wonder what the factors are that trigger such a reliable second brood in that part of Cornwall. It's reliably mild (and wet) all year round - the more so the further southwest you go - so perhaps that's a part of it.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

When I saw these I wondered if you'd gotten as far behind on my PD as me Neil :wink: :P :lol: Cracking Small Pearls Neil 8) :mrgreen: especially the faintly marked one, very eye catching that one 8) :mrgreen: I'm reckon I know what your other targets were but no 'spoilers' here :lol: Looking forward to more shots :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Very much enjoyed your second brood SPBF Neil.
Both sexes captured, and a wonderful variety of markings too.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Dave. I suspect that it is the generally mild winters which lead to these populations emerging earlier than anywhere else, often in early May or even sometimes in late April, which allows time for a proper second brood to develop.

Cheers Wurzel. That faintly marked one really stood out. Now let's see if you are correct about the other targets.

Thanks Trevor. I certainly enjoyed seeing them after missing this species for the past three years.

The Lizard - August 4th to 9th part 3.

My other two targets for this trip are both species that are similar in that neither occur in Warwickshire and are ones that I only usually see on this kind of longer trip, usually around the coast somewhere down south, or on our occasional trips up north. They can both still be found further afield in the midlands, usually on higher ground to the west in Shropshire or up in Staffordshire but these are at locations that are a still a good distance from me and so I tend to catch up with them on our longer trips when we go away for a few days.

Grayling

The first of these two is Grayling and I was pleased to find them in good numbers at both of the locations where I expected to find them. These included Enys Head on the Monday and Wednesday afternoons when I visited as described in the previous report when on both occasions I saw between 30-40 mainly concentrated around the rocky outcrops at the top of the head and on the higher grassy slope. Photos were difficult here due to the steep slope and the stiff breeze coming in off the sea but a bit of patient seaching around the sheltered sides of the rocky outcrops produced some opportunities.
Grayling and Wall Brown Habitat at Enys Head.
Grayling and Wall Brown Habitat at Enys Head.
Grayling - Enys Head 05.08.2024
Grayling - Enys Head 05.08.2024
Grayling - Enys Head 07.08.2024

On the Wednesday I spotted a Grayling male and Meadow Brown female having a bit of an interaction before the Meadow Brown took off down the slope with the Grayling in pursuit.
Grayling and Meadow Brown - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Grayling and Meadow Brown - Enys Head 07.08.2024
They were also flying to the south of Kynance Cove with similar numbers, perhaps slightly more, on the heather covered cliff tops and the higher parts of the undercliff area.
Cliff top to the south of Kynance Cove.
Cliff top to the south of Kynance Cove.
Grayling - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024
Grayling - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024
I also spotted a mating pair here when another male tried to intrude on them and although there was some brief wing flashing it was over too quick for me to grab a topside photo.
Grayling pair - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024
Grayling pair - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024

Wall Brown

I have always referred to my third target as the Wall Brown since I used to see them around Solihull back in the 1970s. I know that it is more correctly called The Wall but for me it will always be the Wall Brown despite having disappeared from around Solihull by the 1990s with the last one recorded in Warwickshire (at Kingsbury) in 2007.

My first one on this trip was a single female at Enys Head on the Monday afternoon.
Wall Brown - Enys Head 05.08.2024
Wall Brown - Enys Head 05.08.2024
A walk down the lane opposite our B&B later on Monday afternoon produced a surprise sighting of a male Wall Brown on a buddleia. Although this is not the first time I have seen one on a buddleia it is not something I have seen very often.
Wall Brown - Lane by B&B 05.08.2024
Wall Brown - Lane by B&B 05.08.2024
On Tuesday morning, during our walk from Lizard Village down to the Lighthouse, I spotted at least four different males patrolling and sparring with each other along sections of the stone wall alongside the path. They were all damaged to varying degrees which made it easy to tell them apart.
Wall Brown - Lizard Village 06.08.2024
My return visit to Enys Head on Wednesday produced a another couple of males plus a nice fresh female along the coast path on the way back to Poltescu.
Wall Brown - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Wall Brown - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Wall Brown - Poltescu 07.08.2024
Wall Brown - Poltescu 07.08.2024
I have mentioned a few other species already in these posts and will cover these and any others that I saw in a final report to wrap things up next.

To be continued...

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

The Lizard - August 4th to 9th part 4.

The most numerous species seen during our stay on The Lizard last week were Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns with both species in large numbers all along the coast paths and along the narrow lanes. Although many of these were worn and faded there were also a good number of both species still in good condition, especially compared with my local spots back home where Meadow Browns were just about finished and Gatekeepers were well past their best.
Meadow Brown female - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Meadow Brown female - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Garekeeper female - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Garekeeper female - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Speckled Woods could usually be seen along the hedgerows in the lanes by our B&B and also along the path through the wood from the NT car park at Poltescu.

A couple of old and faded Ringlets were also seen by Poltescu which surprised me a bit, these having long since finished back home.

A couple of worn Small Heath were seen on the cliff tops to the south of Kynance Cove on the Wednesday afternoon

Half a dozen or so elderly Dark Green Fritillaries were also bombing about on these cliff tops in the warm afternoon sun.
Dark Green Fritillary female - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024
Dark Green Fritillary female - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024
Dark Green Fritillary male - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024
One particular male that was flying around the undercliff area here was in better condition and still showed a good colour although his wing fringes were worn away. Some passing clouds slowed him down enough for me to sneak up and get some photos.
Both Large and Small Whites were seen eveywhere in good numbers but I only saw one definite Green-veined White.
Large White female - Enys Head 05.08.2024
Large White female - Enys Head 05.08.2024
Small White female - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Small White female - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Common Blues turned up nearly everywhere, not in large numbers but a few at most places with both fresh looking males and females seen. I have noticed before that the females down here tend to be of the more traditional 'brown' variety although some do show varying amounts of blue albeit never as much as I sometimes see back home and elsewhere these days.
Common Blue male - Lizard Lighthouse 06.08.2024
Common Blue male - Lizard Lighthouse 06.08.2024
Common Blue female - Enys Head 05.08.2024
Common Blue female - Enys Head 05.08.2024
Common Blue female - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Common Blue female - Enys Head 07.08.2024
Common Blue pair - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024
Common Blue pair - Kynance Cove 06.08.2024
A single worn and tatty Small Copper by Kynance Cove was notable as being the first one of these I have seen this year, a sad commentary on my season back home.

Half a dozen Small Skippers were still flying around the undercliff area by Kynance Cove, all now looking well past their best.

Anyone that has kept count over this and the previous reports will see that this adds up to 16 species, a little lower than my previous vists down here when I have usually been able to add Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Comma, none of which were seen this time. I have also often, but not always, managed to see Clouded Yellow down here but given the lack of sightings reported so far this year, I was not really expecting one this time (would have been nice though).

The weather could have been a bit better but Tuesday was a cracker and the other days, apart from Thursday, gave me enough windows to see some nice butterflies. We also got around a bit to do some other more touristy stuff which often included sitting on a bench taking in a glorious view with a Roskilly's Ice Cream (Cornish Cream Tea flavour for me :D ).

All in all, a great few days in a beautiful part of the country.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Yep spot on in my supposition of the targets :D Cracking images of the Walls as they're a tricky butterfly at the best of times final image of the female is a cracker 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

So glad you had a productive trip, Neil.

SPBF, Grayling, Wall, etc are all highly desirable, along wth the beautiful coastal scenery in that part of the UK.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel and David :D

Back down to earth with a bump this week. The weather here has gone from warm and sunny earlier in the week to very windy on Wednesday and a wet Thursday with rain lasting weel into the night.
Due to various family and household stuff, I've only been able to have a couple of walks down to my local spot by Wagon Lane, one on Monday and one earlier today (Friday). On both occasions it was pretty quiet and underwhelming with just some elderly Gatekeepers, a few Speckled Wood, a couple each of Large and Small White plus a single Common Blue on Monday and a Holly Blue today.

Next week is looking promising so fingers crossed I maybe able to get out a bit further afield.

Bye for now,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil, cracking report as always.

Although west Cornwall has a fairly wet, mild climate, it also receives more sunshine hours than most parts of the country. I suspect this may be responsible,at least in part,for a reliable second generation of SPBF.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Mark. It was great to get back down there again after a bit of a gap.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Neil Freeman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:20 pm
Next week is looking promising so fingers crossed I maybe able to get out a bit further afield.
Well, I got that wrong!

This week has felt very autumnal here with every day featuring lots of dark cloud, quite a bit of rain and some strong winds, storm Lillian apparently as it tracked across the northern half of the UK. There has been the occasional interlude when we saw some warm sun but they usually coincided with my family commitments, and the only times when I would have been able to go anywhere worth going was usually when we saw the heaviest rain and strongest winds.

The only butterflies I saw this week were the occasional speckled Wood battling the wind in the garden plus a couple of whites that were whisked through at high speed. I just about managed to get a photo of one of the Specklies on Tuesday during one of the brighter periods before it took off and the wind blew it into next door.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 20.08.2024
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 20.08.2024
I am not going to comment on what the weekend and next week looks like just in case I jinx it again.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”