millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

On Wednesday 10th July, the early part of the morning seemed bright enough, and the chill was gone from the air. Realising that I'd not been further than my local patch for the best part of a week, and seeing ominous amounts of traffic on the southbound M25, I decided to go northwards and try catching up with Aston Rowant.

My meteorological optimism was somewhat unfounded - as I drove up the M40, I watched clouds build and the temperature drop. In the end, on arrival there was still a bit of sunshine and every now and again the cloud did part slightly, but I could see waves of unforecast rain showers coming across from the Cotswolds over to the west. Things looked like this a lot of the time.
view 100724.JPG
I set about to see if any butterflies were on the wing. Marbled Whites were by far the most frequently seen...
MW1 100724.JPG
MW2 100724.JPG
...followed by Small Skipper.
SS1 100724.JPG
SS3 100724.JPG
Other species not put off by the conditions were Meadow Browns and Ringlets...
RT2 100724.JPG
RT1 100724.JPG
...and more surprisingly Dark Green Fritillaries. These were mostly hunkered down invisibly in the grass, but every now and again one would explode upwards and head off with the wind in an orange blur. In the end I found one that felt the need to refuel.
DGF1 100724.JPG
Except for a single Small Heath, that's all there was.

I headed homewards, and once into the rain shadow of the Chilterns, things brightened a bit more and the temperature rose into the low 20s. There was nothing for it but another wander round my local patch... :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The main highlight of my local walk later on, during the afternoon of 10th July, was finding the first of the new brood of Holly Blues. Initially seen puddling (it was spoilt for choice... :) ), it took a break to wait for a bit of sunshine to warm up in.
HB1 100724.JPG
It was one of 16 species seen - far more variety than I'd come across up on the Chilterns earlier in the day, and my highest one-day species count so far this year - but none with the cachet of the DGF of course. The full list:

Meadow Brown
Gatekeeper
Marbled White
Speckled Wood
Small Heath
Large White
Small White
GVW
Small Skipper
Essex Skipper
Red Admiral
Comma
Peacock
Common Blue
Holly Blue
Purple Hairstreak

The last of these were as ever flitting back and forth between the oaks and ashes near J14. I tried several times to capture the moment, but failed - there are at least two hairstreaks in this shot somewhere...
PH habitat.JPG
A few others from the afternoon...
CB1 100724.JPG
SS1 100724.JPG
LW1 100724.JPG
SpW1 100724.JPG
MW2 100724.JPG
RA1 100724.JPG
GVW2 100724.JPG
Comma3 100724.JPG
ES2 100724.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

After ten days of weather that was less than what most folk would think of as summery, Thursday 11th July was promised to be largely sunny and back to average temperatures - maybe a tad above. My plan was to head down to Bookham first thing, but a quick glance at the AA traffic planner soon postponed that idea. However, I wasn't going to waste the rare brilliantly sunny early morning and had a short walk locally before revisiting the Bookham idea.

A variety of common butterflies were already up and about, and some were in morning nectaring mode.
Comma2 110724.JPG
Comma4 110724.JPG
LW2 110724.JPG
LW4 110724.JPG
PK1 110724.JPG
One or two others posed nicely...
SH1 110724.JPG
ES1 110724.JPG
SpW2 110724.JPG
...and these two had wasted no time getting together.
SW1 110724.JPG
Several Gatekeepers were flying, including this male with a forewing eyespot that had only one pupil instead of two.
GK1 110724.JPG
A good start to the day. :)

When I returned and checked the traffic, things had cleared sufficiently to make a trip down the dreaded M25 worth it.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"You never know, their offspring might actually be genuine Smessex Skippers... :)"...that would be brill 8) :lol:
"explode upwards and head off with the wind" this is a very accurate and precise description of their typical behaviour :roll: :lol:
Shipton has started... :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - good news about Shipton. :) I was at Bookham today and drew a blank there...

And here is a report from there from a fortnight ago! :)

So, rather later than originally planned on 11th July, I ended up down at Bookham. As luck would have it, I found Bugboy down there (travelling by train had got him there by 0800), and he soon was telling me about the Purple Hairstreaks down nectaring on brambles. Better still, he soon delivered on that promise.
PH1 110724.JPG
We continued to wander through the woods, and to be honest there wasn't that much to see - a bit of variety, true, but definitely not numbers.
WA1 110724.JPG
SWF1 110724.JPG
SS1 110724.JPG
RT1 110724.JPG
At one point I spotted another SWF over on some bracken, and Paul's keener eyes quickly identified it as a pairing. Unfortunately they were a bit distant for my zoom to cope with well, but ever optimistic I took quite a few shots in case some turned out OK.
SWF7 110724.JPG
SWF8 110724.JPG
SWF9 110724.JPG
SWF5 110724.JPG
At one point, the couple were hassled by another male.
SWF3 110724.JPG
The other highpoint of the morning was finding a brand new male Purple Hairstreak taking minerals from the track much like a Holly Blue.
PH2 110724.JPG
It allowed a very close approach, so absorbed it was in its mission.
PH5 110724.JPG
Eventually it started to open up, and fingers were crossed that for one of us at least the angle might be right to give us some of the blue sheen fresh males can display. However, neither of us was in luck...
PH6 110724.JPG
PH7 110724.JPG
PH10 110724.JPG
A shame, as it really was a pretty pristine individual.

Having started late, I realised that I would have to leave at this point, leaving Bugboy to consider where to head to next. Good to see you as ever, Paul. :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Looking at the photos again, I'm wondering whether the absence of a blue sheen, the merest hint of purple on the forewings, and the shape of the abdomen all point to this being a female butterfly... I assumed it was male just because it was behaving like males of other species...

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Can't believe that day was 2 weeks ago Dave :shock: . Might be 2 months before my pictures from that day see the light of day though, I have a shed load of reports to wade through. I ended up on Box Hill that afternoon, it was a very long day!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

The summer does seem to be cantering by this year, Paul! Thinking about Brown Hairstreaks already... I suspect the absence of migrating butterflies this year will mean we don't get the late summer bonus of LTB this time round - and maybe no Clouded Yellows either. That would be a shame.

Friday 12th July was a return on paper to lower temperatures and not much sunshine, but the day had a muggy feel to it and I was surprised by just how much was flying locally. I had started counting before I realised this, and my list surprised me by growing to a total of 359 from 14 species:

Meadow Brown 215
Gatekeeper 67
Essex Skipper 19
GVW 12
Small Skipper 8
Red Admiral 7
Small Heath 7
Large White 6
Peacock 6
Comma 3
Small White 3
Marbled White 2
Holly Blue 2
Speckled Wood 2

A selection from the multitude...
SW1 120724.JPG
RA1 120724.JPG
a new dark summer male
a new dark summer male
a contrasting female
a contrasting female
GK2 120724.JPG
ES1 120724.JPG
GVW1 120724.JPG
LW1 120724.JPG
a very elderly female...
a very elderly female...
...which flew very unsteadily up to settle on a car windscreen
...which flew very unsteadily up to settle on a car windscreen
no preamble whatsoever to this get-together
no preamble whatsoever to this get-together
MW1 120724.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:48 pm Looking at the photos again, I'm wondering whether the absence of a blue sheen, the merest hint of purple on the forewings, and the shape of the abdomen all point to this being a female butterfly... I assumed it was male just because it was behaving like males of other species...

Dave
Yes, I came to the same conclusion when I looked at my pictures on my laptop.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Purps Dave 8) :mrgreen: As for the male/female - there are some images online showing the uniform ground colour but unhelpfully they don't identify is as a male or female :roll: It does seem to have quite a rotund abdomen...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, both of you - I do now reckon that was a female Hairstreak... :)

Saturday 13th July was an almost identical day to 12th weatherwise, and the butterfly mix was unsurprisingly very similar - though for some reason there were more Commas and Peacocks around today.
Comma2 130724.JPG
Comma3 130724.JPG
PK1 130724.JPG
PK2 130724.JPG
A few others from the day...
ES2 130724.JPG
GK2 130724.JPG
MW3 130724.JPG
RA1 130724.JPG
SH1 130724.JPG
SpW1 130724.JPG
...but the highlight was a brand new male Holly Blue. The largely cloudy conditions meant a rare burst of sunshine meant it opened its wings wide.
HB3 130724.JPG
HB6 130724.JPG
HB9 130724.JPG
Something I never tire of. :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sunday 14th July included an interlude with a Red Admiral very reminiscent of encounters with bigger, showier butterflies... :)

Wandering along a stretch of damp path under the willow trees close to the river, I spotted a dark triangle down on the ground. With the Emperor season only a very recent thing, you almost start to wonder... But no, it was a Red Admiral.
RA1 140724.JPG
(I do sometimes think Purple Emperors would be at home here - there is plenty of sallow, some large ash trees and eminently suitable paths with noxious substances on them... :) )

Having sat for this shot, the butterfly started to circle around the spot, eventually including me in its circling. It then did a very Imperial thing and landed on my leg, becoming quite engrossed in whatever I might have recently knelt in.
RA2 140724.JPG
RA3 140724.JPG
RA4 140724.JPG
It was difficult to dislodge, but eventually it left and went to sit on a nearby bit of foliage.
RA5 140724.JPG
RA7 140724.JPG
A definite family resemblance!

The rest of the sightings for the 14th I'll post separately.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sunday 14th July was my preferred type of summer's day: pleasantly warm (23 degrees) rather than hot, and 8 hours of sunshine.

I was also aware from talking to the folk who (on behalf of Heathrow, technically the owners) look after the big area of grassland that forms a big part of my local patch that its annual haircut was about to take place. The timing of this is unfortunately based on nothing very scientific or conservation-related - it has to be during the week before the schools break up. The reasoning (I'm told) is that the long grass and flower-rich vegetation is a potential fire-risk, and that youngsters at a loose end may (deliberately or accidentally) set it alight. With the proximity to Heathrow (essentially close to the western ends of the runways) this risk cannot be taken.

The only mitigation for wildlife is that a few small areas (pretty well at random) are spared the cut to protect ground-nesting birds like skylarks. One or two other bits get missed because the tractor-mowers are big beasts. The effect this has on the butterfly population varies from year to year, as each species season and the actual state of the vegetation are different each year - but the cut is not a moveable feast.

Anyway, I suspected that today might possibly produce one of the highest counts of the summer - in the end I saw well over 400 individual butterflies from 16 species.

One or two new Brimstones appeared, so much easier to approach than the same individuals will be next spring.
BR1 140724.JPG
This new Peacock was also content to nectar, though I have already observed one or two indulging in territorial behaviour and scrapping with each other.
PK1 140724.JPG
I saw just the one Common Blue again, and wondered what the cut might mean for future sightings.
CB1 140724.JPG
There were plenty of Gatekeepers, and their preference for the hedgerows over the open grass will no doubt mean they won't suffer too much.
GK1 140724.JPG
Similarly, most of the GVW I've seen have been along the edges. I saw 27 today, a high for the summer brood so far, including a pair...
GVW pair1 140724.JPG
...and a very boldly marked female.
GVW2 140724.JPG
Marbled Whites appeared to be nearing the end of their appearance now - I haven't seen any new ones lately - so the timing of the cut may just bring that end forward a day or two.
MW1 140724.JPG
However, the species I expect to be most affected are the Meadow Browns and the two Skippers. The Meadow Browns are so numerous, and have been for around six weeks, that I doubt there will be any long term issues (there never have been before). The Small and Essex Skippers though are both roughly at their peak and can be found everywhere. A lot of eggs will have been laid on grass stems that will be sliced through - and the mowings are taken offsite immediately. As if to make a point, both species provided some good poses today. Small...
SS1 140724.JPG
SS2 140724.JPG
SS3 140724.JPG
...and Essex.
ES1 140724.JPG
ES3 140724.JPG
ES5 140724.JPG
ES2 140724.JPG
Over the next few days it will be interesting to see how things change.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Monday 15th July was cooler and produced very little actual sunshine, but there must have been quite a bit of UV through the clouds in the middle of the day because there were still quite a few butterflies out on my local patch. The skippers seem to be happy enough without blazing sunshine, though Small Skipper numbers are tailing off now.
SS1 150724.JPG
Essex outnumbered them 12-2 today.
ES1 150724.JPG
ES5 150724.JPG
Gatekeepers don't mind things dull either, and are much more likely to open up on cloudier days.
GK2 150724.JPG
GK3 150724.JPG
GK4 150724.JPG
GK5 150724.JPG
Marbled Whites become less active and will sit in one spot for lengthy periods in these conditions...
MW2 150724.JPG
MW3 150724.JPG
...and also facilitating the more unusual kind of angle.
MW1 150724.JPG
Large Whites do prefer a bit of sun, and this one was not going anywhere.
LW1 150724.JPG
The flashy nymphalids tend to seek out patches of warm ground on dull days, and I often disturb them from the stonier bits of path. Painted Ladies are well-camouflaged on this background, but not Red Admirals.
RA3 150724.JPG
There are two more in this shot.
within 24 hours, all this would be mown...
within 24 hours, all this would be mown...
This Peacock was just off the same bit of path...
PK1 150724.JPG
...and nearby, what I thought was going to be another Red Admiral turned out to be a fresh Small Tortoiseshell.
ST1 150724.JPG
This is only the second one of the summer brood I've seen here this year (and it was a good km away from where I'd seen the other one).

Not bad for another cloudy day.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Tuesday 16th July was, as expected, The Day They Cut The Grass. It was another day much like many seen in the early part of July - partly sunny, partly cloudy, with modest temperatures just below average at 22 degrees.

I decided to go round as much of my usual walk as I could before the mowers arrived, and to be honest it was a bit depressing to see butterflies that within an hour or so would be violently displaced at best or succumb to the mower blades at worst. A pre-cut view of one of the more flowery bits, full of Meadow Browns plus a sprinkling of Skippers, Gatekeepers, Small Heaths, and Marbled Whites.
view 160724.JPG
Of course, some parts of my walk don't involve the big grassland areas, so anything there would be unaffected - like these Commas.
Comma1 160724.JPG
Comma6 160724.JPG
I do like the way this species (like Red Admirals and Speckled Woods) takes up position to have a clear view along a stretch of path.
Comma3 160724.JPG
Also seen along these parts of my walk were Red Admirals, Peacocks, Speckled Woods and various Whites.
RA1 160724.JPG
PK2 160724.JPG
SpW1 160724.JPG
GVW2 160724.JPG
GVW3 160724.JPG
Now out onto the grassland. With really bad timing, Common Blues had started to appear - a species I suspect will be more affected by the cut than others as a substantial amount of the trefoil, clover and medick would be mown.
CB4 160724.JPG
CB8 160724.JPG
CB10 160724.JPG
One species in particular I wasn't likely to see here again after today was the Marbled White. To be fair, they were looking very worn.
MW4 160724.JPG
MW1 160724.JPG
Skippers were definitely going to suffer too, probably at the peak of their season.
Small
Small
Essex
Essex
Essex
Essex
Even if the Meadow Browns were reduced by half there would still be three figures. I took a couple of shots though - I rarely do so after the initial volley at the start of their season!
MB4 160724.JPG
MB2 160724.JPG
Most Gatekeepers stick to the edges ('edge Brown, anyone? :) ), like this one...
GK1 160724.JPG
...and this pair sitting on a hawthorn.
GK pair1 160724.JPG
One species I also had concerns about was the Small Heath. They have had a bit of a resurgence lately, and numbers were just increasing for the third time this year after peaks in mid-May and mid-June. I came across two new examples, the second of which was particularly striking with very bold markings.
SH1 160724.JPG
SH3 160724.JPG
Towards the end of my walk, I could see where the mowers had already made substantial inroads into the grass. The looming weather seemed entirely appropriate for the occasion...
view2 160724.JPG
...and you could see the Red Kites gathering over the unseen mowers like vultures, no doubt looking for any unfortunate creatures caught up in the process.
kites.JPG
A tad dramatic I know, but the grass cut always marks a major turning point of the whole season here.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautifully marked Green-veined Whites in your last couple of posts Dave 8) But that male Holly Blue - that's something else! :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - though there haven't been very many second brood Hollies around, those that have appeared have behaved very nicely. That one sat there for quite a while. :)

Half way through July and suddenly the weather changed (or became warmer at least...). The first 16 days of the month had only one day when the temperature locally reached 24 degrees (near enough the longterm average high here) - however, the remaining 15 days had only one day when it didn't reach this level. More on this when I reach the end of the month.

Wednesday 17th July heralded the improvement, with long hours of sunshine too. I started off the day up at Aston Rowant, and the promise of some Chalkhill Blues. As always, it was several degrees cooler up there on the Chilterns, and it took a while to find the target species, especially with good numbers of Marbled Whites still around.
MW1 170724.JPG
However, in the end I encountered a dozen or so Chalkhill males, all gleaming fresh and often happy to open up in the cooler conditions.
ChB9 170724.JPG
ChB38a 170724.JPG
ChB34 170724.JPG
ChB26 170724.JPG
ChB23 170724.JPG
ChB20 170724.JPG
ChB32 170724.JPG
ChB4 170724.JPG
I was surprised not to find any Common Blues, Brown Argus or Small Coppers, but there were still several Dark Green Fritillaries flying - mostly females disturbed from the grass, but a few males still cruising the slopes. Luckily, at least one of each paused briefly to nectar.
DGF8 170724.JPG
DGF7 170724.JPG
DGF4 170724.JPG
DGF2 170724.JPG
There were numbers of Skippers scattered across the hillside - every one I was able to check turned out to be Small - no Essex, no late Large or early Silver-spotted.
SS3 170724.JPG
Also seen - a few Large, and a few GV Whites...
LW2 170724.JPG
...and a Red Admiral patrolling the hedge at the bottom.
RA1 170724.JPG
There was also the welcome sight of a Small Tortoiseshell, but just the one...
ST4 170724.JPG
ST6 170724.JPG
I still haven't reached double figures this year for sightings of this species.

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Sublime male Holly Blue earlier, Dave, and good to see the Small Tort.
Hope Shipton B went well, I noticed a hum dinger of a storm in that area
on the radar, but it was possibly after BH bedtime, and you were on the way home.
millerd

Post by millerd »

trevor wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:58 am Sublime male Holly Blue earlier, Dave, and good to see the Small Tort.
Hope Shipton B went well, I noticed a hum dinger of a storm in that area
on the radar, but it was possibly after BH bedtime, and you were on the way home.
Cheers, Trevor - in the end (like you) I decided that the risk of storms either during travelling or at Shipton itself made it a bit of an iffy venture, so I've postponed till next week sometime. It was also uncomfortably hot, and my car's AC isn't working! There were indeed some big storms by the end of the afternoon too. The weather next week looks more sensible.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The weather on 17th July was too good to waste, so during the afternoon with a little trepidation I set off round my local patch to see what the mowers had left. As mentioned, parts of my walk were not involved - the partly wooded paths near the lake - so things here carried on as normal. Gatekeepers, Commas and Peacocks predominated - sometimes together.
C+PK 170724.JPG
Comma3 170724.JPG
Comma4 170724.JPG
PK1 170724.JPG
PK3 170724.JPG
GK1 170724.JPG
GK5 170724.JPG
Here are a couple of views of the mown grassland, showing one of the set-aside areas and that the edges have been left uncut.
view1 170724.JPG
view2 170724.JPG
Deer enjoy the long grass, and I often found the flattened bits where they had been resting. This muntjac looked a bit confused, however, with all the cover removed...
deer 170724.JPG
The huge areas of cut grass were now bereft of all but a few Meadow Browns. However, the uncut patches and edges were full of butterflies - mostly the aforesaid Meadow Browns, along with Gatekeepers, both Small and Essex Skippers and a few Small Heaths. They were like refugee camps for displaced lepidoptera. Here, life continued as normal, if a bit more crowded.
GK pair2 170724.JPG
ES10 170724.JPG
ES3 170724.JPG
SH4 170724.JPG
I also found a few Holly Blues puddling along the paths - I'm not sure how their lives had been disrupted (if they had been at all). One kept flying round and round my feet, but never quite settled...
HB1 170724.JPG
...but both the other two became engrossed in their mission.
HB6 170724.JPG
HB5 170724.JPG
Though my walk wasn't perhaps its usual length (distance or duration), I still counted over 200 butterflies of 14 species - not too disappointing in the end. I will see how things go over the rest of the season and especially with regard to the second broods yet to properly kick off.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”