Lulworth Skipper Dorset

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Lawts

Lulworth Skipper Dorset

Post by Lawts »

I'm finally aiming to add this butterfly to my list when I travel down next Thursday. I was wondering where the easiest place is to see them in terms of walking after parking up, (limited time) and abundance of butterflies.
Will they still be around Corfe Castle car park, or with them being earlier there, is Durlston now a better option? Any other options that also fit the easy category?
Also, are there any good spots for Silver-washed Fritillary in the same general area?
Thanks.
bugboy

Re: Lulworth Skipper Dorset

Post by bugboy »

Well I've only ever seen them at Durlston but they are easy to find, I'm told you can sometimes get them in the car park but if you walk down along the cliff top coastal path you'll find them flitting low down along the grassy bank. There will also be the other Thymelicus Skippers around but they're quite easy to tell from them even in flight being noticably darker and smaller than both the others. They should still be on the wing now, I was there on the 6th and despite near gale force winds there was plenty around.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hi Lawts, agree re Lulworth skipper. They are also found on the chalk ridgeway leading east from Corfe. (Also the best in Dorset for Dark Green Fritillary, dozens fly over low growing brambles at the top of the ridge.). For Silver Washed my recommendation is a little way from Corfe, just north of the wonderfully named village of Plush there is a lay-by at Folly Farm where a track leads uphill to woods. SWF seen there in good numbers over the years (though I have yet to visit this year). The path opens out to downland after 1 km or so. It is just this section that has SWF.
Good luck!
Mitch
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I should have added that the track is the one heading west, not the one heading towards the Dorsetshire Gap.

Return to “Sites”