Bilateral Gynandromorph pupa?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Bilateral Gynandromorph pupa?

Post by Trev Sawyer »

One of the 3 Green Hairstreak pupae I finished up with during my efforts to record the sound they make is this one...
Gynandorsal.jpg
Viewing it from above, it is lighter coloured on the right hand side than on the left and slightly smaller on that same side.
On the underside, it has a larger wing and its eye is higher up on the right hand side than on the left and the antennae are obviously not symmetrical. I am thinking it may be a gynandromorph with male on one side and female on the other... Or is it just a deformed pupa? It will be interesting to see what the adult butterfly looks like when (if!) it hatches next year, but may be difficult to tell as there isn't a huge difference between the sexes in this species. What do others think?
Attachments
Gynanface.jpg
Last edited by Trev Sawyer on Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Bilateral Gynandromorph pupa?

Post by Pete Eeles »

Remarkable asymmetry, Trev! I hope this makes it, to tell its story ... I've never come across anything like this but bilateral gynandromorph pupae must be asymmetrical!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Would be interesting to have one of the others you have next to to compare it with a 'normal' one.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Maybe ask some politicians. They seem to have a 'thing' about humans of uncertain gender.

Jack
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

There you go Paul - Potential Bilateral Gynandromorph pupa on the left and a "normal" one on the right... The forlegs don't sit quite centrally in the "gynandromorph" pupa and there is a "step" in the gap between the left and right wing cases to cater for the larger wing which raises one antenna tip over the other one towards the bottom. The abdominal sections also appear slightly one-sided "below the belt" (Ooh 'er Mrs! :lol: ) with a definite offset keel.
Fingers crossed it makes it to the Spring and I spot it hatching out 8)
Attachments
_V0A3549-Enhanced-NR copy.jpg
Last edited by Trev Sawyer on Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

If (like many butterflies) just prior to emergence the wings are visible through the pupal casing, you may be able to spot the forewing sex mark that male Green Hairstreak butterflies have. If this is clearly present on one side and not the other, the butterfly is almost certainly a bilateral gynandromorph and you'll have your answer before emergence. This could also be apparent on the newly-emerged insect when it dries its wings, even on the underside where it manifests as a small raised bump matching the clear mark on the upperside.

I really hope it makes it through its long wait until next spring! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Good thinking Dave. I'll try to leave it alone outside in a little protective pot until early April and then inspect it daily until it colours up. Oh the joys of retirement :lol:
I'll let everyone know what (if anything) happens - watch this space... for 9 months :wink:
Last edited by Trev Sawyer on Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Fascinating stuff Trev. Bilateral Gynandromorph would definitely have been my first presumption and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in 9 months time. Fingers crossed it makes it through the winter, wrap it up in cotton wool if you have to!
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “General”