About Roosting Orange-tip butterflies

PhilBJohnson

About Roosting Orange-tip butterflies

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Question about roosting Orange-tip butterflies:
Might seasonal climate changed heavier rainfall, reduce the general life expectancy of an annual generation of Orange-tip butterflies, given their known evolutionary roosting positions, that might not have so often been under leaves, in comparison with other known spring butterfly species?

This question might be of interest to "butterfly engineers" but of less interest to me, who only wants to see female Orange-tip butterflies fly further afield in warmer, early summer temperatures, for a wider 'ovipositry" (total area of eggs oviposited, by a single female).
Kind Regards,
Jack Harrison

Re: About Roosting Orange-tip butterflies

Post by Jack Harrison »

I said in another post how seven of my Orange Tip pupae (from 2023 eggs) decided that 2024 isn't for them and seem to be hanging on until 2025.
I had previous occasions of double hibernation with eventual emergence almost two years after being laid as eggs.

Others from 2023 emerged as normal this spring although several others of the batch died.

Meanwhile, I have 2024 pupae and a few large larvae expected to pupate any day now. I'll keep the two years separate.

Jack
PhilBJohnson

Re: About Roosting Orange-tip butterflies

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Average outdoor temperatures and Orange-tip pupal development
(a bit like a Garlic mustard seed that might not have germinated the same or following year)
I had previous occasions of double hibernation with eventual emergence almost two years after being laid as eggs.
That's an interesting reference with latitude of Scotland. I thought that there were species like "Arran Brown" that might have had a two year life cycle, in the cooler 1800s, also, similar looking butterflies in Sweden (Second World War neutral, that might not have stretched National natural resources so far, for more habitat conservation).
Kind Regards,

Return to “Orange-tip”