Cherry-picking lifers in Germany and Crete

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
petesmith

Cherry-picking lifers in Germany and Crete

Post by petesmith »

As lifers become harder and harder to come by, my 2024 European butterfly expeditions had all been designed to locate specific small groups of species, and in the case of the first trip below, just one target butterfly was in my sights.

PART ONE - GERMANY

Until recently Germany had not been on my radar as a potential butterfly destination. It isn’t as well visited by the travelling enthusiast and the tour operators as such countries as France, Spain and Greece, and doesn’t have a reputation as a biodiversity hotspot. That’s not to say of course that there aren’t butterflies of interest to be found there, and during the planning phase of my 2024 European Butterfly Campaign I did come across one compelling reason for me to make a visit; the Northern Chequered Skipper occurs at a couple of sites near Hamburg, at its most westerly European limit, and I was rather keen to add this butterfly to my life-list this year.

So it came to pass that I flew out solo from Manchester on Monday 27th May on my first ever visit to this country, a four-night stay based in the city of Geesthacht, just south-east of Hamburg. Of course, as always prior to a European trip, I had been keeping my eye on the weather forecasts before my departure, and as it got closer to D-Day the BBC weather app was showing worse and worse graphics. By the time I was due to fly out the situation was looking dire. Dark clouds, rain and low temperatures were predicted all week, apart from the first half of Monday, which promised to be mild with some sunshine. It looked like my best chance of success would be if the EasyJet Gods got me into Hamburg airport on time and I could get straight on the road and out to my first site promptly. I had an early flight and kept all fingers crossed.

Once landed in Hamburg around 10am, it occurred to me that another reason I had never visited Germany before might have been because I know very little German. I reckoned I had about a dozen words, and five of them were “eins”, “zwei”, “drei”, “vier” and “funf” which didn’t leave me with many more to play with. The hire car pick-up was smooth but did require me to expand my vocabulary. My first challenge at the hire car multi-storey car park was to learn the difference between ausfahrt and einfahrt – this is rather important. Thank the Deities for Google Translate! Starting up my car, I noted that the dashboard display was kindly offering me Fahrtinfo - I was beginning to think I could get to grips with this German-speaking malarkey quite easily now; I just needed to master the judicious use of fahrt, and surely success was guaranteed?

The drive from the airport to my first target site went smoothly and shortly before 11:00 I had parked up and was walking into a large nature reserve to the north of Hamburg. This was an extensive mosaic of damp woodland, wet meadows, grasslands, and areas of wet heath, covering several square miles. The weather was OK, but there were remarkably few insects on the wing, apart from a plenitude of mosquitos. More alarmingly, many areas of the reserve were clearly “off limits” with warning signs that didn’t require too much translation. It looked like many of the most promising habitat patches were going to be inaccessible to the travelling Lepidopterist.
NCS habitat.JPG
NCS habitat 2.JPG
Habitat
sign.JPG
sign 2.JPG
sign 3.JPG
Signage

I walked the woodland tracks for several hours but by early afternoon I had seen just one Orange-tip and three Green-veined Whites. Shortly after 2pm, having located a particularly promising-looking area, I was surveying the surrounding grasslands when a German chap appeared, camera around his neck, pushing a bicycle. I shall refer to him as Herr Weiss, although I have no idea what his name really was. He began talking to me, in German of course, and although I was tempted to try out some linguistic skills, I refrained from utilising any of my newly acquired fahrts and confessed to him that I spoke no German. Fortunately, he spoke reasonable English and we were able to communicate well enough. We were both looking for the same thing, the Northern Chequered Skipper. He was local, knew the site well and assured me that we were in the best place to see them, but that they had already been on the wing for three weeks and he thought that they were about finished. This was not what I wanted to hear. We chatted for a while then went our separate ways, absorbed in the hunt.

About an hour later I bumped into Herr Weiss again, who informed me that he had just seen a male Northern Chequered Skipper at nectar. He showed me a photograph on his camera that he had taken right where we were stood. I was as green as the surrounding canopy! I really wanted to see the male of this species. The female Northern Chequered (sylvicolus) bears a passing resemblance to the regular Chequered Skipper (palaemon), but the male silvicolus is quite a different looking creature. Herr Weiss had to leave now, but wished me luck with my searches, and I resolved to stay close to where the male had been seen for the rest of the afternoon if necessary. There was a small, sheltered clearing just next to where the butterfly had been seen. It was a real suntrap, with some nectar, and some taller perches of vegetation. Half a dozen Banded Demoiselles were bouncing about in this patch of sunlight and had captured my attention. Suddenly there was a flash of yellow as a skipper-like butterfly chased one of the Demoiselles away. YES! A male Northern Chequered Skipper landed right in front of me. Wow! He was so amenable and friendly. He barely left this patch for the next hour and a half. He posed nicely for me, occasionally making rapid darts to defend his lek, but never going far away, and frequently returning to the same perch. I was thrilled!
Northern Chequered Skipper 2.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper 3.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper 4.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper 6.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper 7.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper 11.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper 12.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper 13.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper 14.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper
NCS lek.JPG
Northern Chequered Skipper male's lek

The rest of the week was dismal. The weather varied from poor to awful. I spent many hours casing out a second site for the species but was defeated by the lack of sunshine. On Thursday I returned to the first site and amazingly my male was still there in the same tiny clearing, still patrolling his territory during a brief bright spell, waiting for a girlfriend. I hope he got lucky. I met another group of German enthusiasts who informed me that silvicolus is very difficult to find at this site, and this year it has been particularly rare. They kindly showed me where they had seen a female that morning, but despite patient searching for several hours, and revisiting on the way back to the airport on Friday, the weather again defeated me.

So, the delightful male photographed above was the only one I saw and goes down as my most expensive ever life-tick! I reckon he comes in at around £800. I have done a few single-species trips in the past – Zeller’s Skipper and False Ringlet for example – but at least those trips produced the desired species by the dozen or more. Then again, I know I just have done, but can you really put a price on the experience of seeing such a gorgeous and unique butterfly for the first time? At the end of the day, I had been successful and got the required result. I could return to Blighty with my head held high!
Last edited by petesmith on Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petesmith

Re: Cherry-picking lifers in Germany and Crete

Post by petesmith »

PART TWO – CRETE

If the weather in Germany had been appalling, the weather in Crete was about to move in completely the opposite direction! My wife and I flew into Heraklion very late on Saturday 8th June, arriving at our hotel in Rethymno just after midnight. We were to be based here all week. The hotel was lovely, and situated near the Fort, on the edge of the Old Town. We explored Rethymno, enjoyed a lot of superb seafood at some of the many local tavernas, but of course the important bit was the butterfly action. I had three target species for this trip – Cretan Small Heath, Cretan Argus and White-banded Grayling. I was fairly confident that we should get the first two, but the Grayling was a bit of an unknown quantity.

Sunday morning after breakfast we walked a kilometre into town to pick up the hire car. The weather was wall to wall sunshine and the mercury was up in the mid-thirties. Phew! We weren’t acclimatised to this at all…

I had promised Vicki a very relaxed holiday on Crete, with just a bit of butterflying here and there, and plenty of general touristy action, but as soon as we had wheels, I couldn’t resist a drive up into the mountains in search of lifers. Our first stop didn’t disappoint. Within thirty seconds of getting out of the car we were surrounded by Cretan Small Heaths– deep joy! Several examples of the endemic Cretan Grayling also turned up here, a species that we had seen on a previous trip to Crete way back in early May 2006. Other butterflies included Oriental Meadow Brown, Eastern Bath White, Long-tailed Blue and Mallow Skipper. We moved on deeper into the hills. I had been planning on saving the search for “The Argus” for the following day, but as we were only about an hour’s drive away from where it flies, I decided to press on. Once parked in the dramatic scenery of Mount Ida we got out of the car and immediately stumbled upon a Cretan Argus by the roadside – two lifers in the bag on day one! There were several dozen flying at this site. (Thanks are due to Dave P for help with site details). We returned to the hotel in good spirits and enjoyed the first of many fine evening meals on the harbour front at Rethymno.
Cretan Small Heath.JPG
Cretan Small Heath 3..JPG
Cretan Small Heath 4..JPG
Cretan Small Heath 7..JPG
Cretan Small Heath 8..JPG
Cretan Small Heath 9..JPG
Cretan Small Heaths.JPG
Cretan Small Heath
Cretan Grayling.JPG
Cretan Grayling 3.JPG
Cretan Grayling
habitat of Cretan Argus.JPG
Nida Plateau .JPG
mountain habitat.JPG
Mountain habitat
Cretan Argus 3.JPG
Cretan Argus 5.JPG
Cretan Argus 6.JPG
Cretan Argus 10.JPG
Cretan Argus 14.JPG
Cretan Argus 16.JPG
Cretan Argus 17.JPG
Cretan Argus puddling.JPG
Cretan Argus

The rest of the week on Crete was extremely hot, and while the temperature remained in the mid-thirties along the coast, a few miles inland we had 41 degrees on the Wednesday and a horrendous 44 degrees on the Thursday, too hot to do much at all. At higher altitudes it was slightly more bearable, a cooler 30 or 31 degrees at 1400 metres above sea level, so a couple of return visits to the mountains were made, one of which resulted in the excitement of finding the White-banded Grayling, a third lifer, completing my target list.
White-banded  Grayling.JPG
White-banded  Grayling 2.JPG
White-banded  Grayling 4.JPG
White-banded Grayling

A visit to the Patsos Gorge gave us superb views from above of a Two-tailed Pasha, and a very hot visit to the Kourtaliotiko Gorge later in the week produced the surprise of the holiday in the form of several dozen Grass Jewels, a butterfly that previously I have only seen one example of. It also gave me my favourite photograph of the week!
Grass Jewel 4.JPG
Grass Jewel

So, to briefly discuss the three lifers:

The Cretan Small Heath was very numerous during our travels, turning up just about everywhere we went, from arid grassland along roadsides, to cooler damper gorges and right up into the higher mountains. It is a charming butterfly, delightfully marked.

The Cretan Argus is a fascinating butterfly. It might not win any beauty competitions in the butterfly world, being rather sparsely marked to the point that it is nearly invisible when settled, and almost looks out of focus on underside photographs. But its restricted global distribution, occurring on two mountains in central Crete and nowhere else on Earth, lends it a certain charm and “wow” factor. It is remarkably common in this small area and during the week we would go on find it in excellent numbers. One site produced a huge number of mud-puddling males – we must have seen over 500 individuals in the space of half an hour. The flight is rapid, low and hard to follow, and the butterfly can be difficult to spot once it has landed on the rocky terrain, but with numbers such as these on the wing there was no problem in finding subjects for photography. Many of them were already worn and past their best but thankfully there were still some fresher specimens around. Habitat-wise it does feel a bit special when you are in the company of the Argus. The vegetation consists of many “cushion-forming” plants, including the larval foodplant, Milk Vetch (Astragalus species) which truly is the spikiest of spiky things. It is an innocuous-looking plant, frequented by many nectaring bees, but be warned. I leant an arm on it whilst steadying myself for a photograph of my first Cretan Argus – you will only do this once. The pain! The blood! The spikes are like multiple hypodermic needles, sharper than nails! The swearing was copious.
foodplant of Cretan Argus.JPG
Astragalus species

The White-banded Grayling was the one that I thought we would struggle to find, and indeed we only saw it at one location – three males – all quite fresh. We were lucky! They aren’t particularly easy to photograph as they don’t often settle, but their coloration and size makes them instantly recognisable in flight.

Another unexpected sighting on the Thursday was of what appeared to be a fellow Lepidopterist in the distance, photographing Cretan Argus at a mud-puddling patch that we had found on the Tuesday afternoon. Upon closer approach this turned out to be none other than Matt Rowlings himself – what are the odds?!!!

This was a superb trip, and (I am still pinching myself), coupled with my “by the skin of the teeth” success in Germany, and great results in Greece in early May, all this year’s target species have so far been successfully found and photographed. There you go – that’s completely jinxed me for my last two trips of the year – south France in July and the Pyrenees in early August in an attempt to mop up the remaining species missing from my French list. Wish me luck…
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

thanks for these two quite different expedition accounts Pete.

your German Skipper was ganz gemütlich :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The Cretan butterflies are wonderful but I agree, that northern chequered skipper is out of this world. And one individual - the difference between success and failure ... I've been there! You go back fulfilled and triumphant, and if that one insect hadn't appeared, you would return deflated and philosophical.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Fascinating reports as ever Pete. You really were lucky in Germany, given the weather forecast. Well done!

I too am aiming for a Crete trip in early June sometime. One day soon!
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Charles Nicol wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:45 pm thanks for these two quite different expedition accounts Pete.

your German Skipper was ganz gemütlich :D
Padfield wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:29 am The Cretan butterflies are wonderful but I agree, that northern chequered skipper is out of this world. And one individual - the difference between success and failure ...
Guy
selbypaul wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:45 pm Fascinating reports as ever Pete. You really were lucky in Germany, given the weather forecast. Well done!

I too am aiming for a Crete trip in early June sometime. One day soon!
Thanks Charles, Guy and Paul - it is amazing how just one butterfly can have such a great impact! I didn't mention this in the report, but this particular male was actually very "yellow" compared to most photographs that I have seen online and in books. It seems he was at the back of the queue when the upper-side forewing spots were being dished out :D This just made him even more special in my book!
David M

Post by David M »

That was a fabulous read, Pete, and yes, the expense was well worth it to find silvicolus.

I too was in Greece during the second week of June so I fully empathise with the acclimatisation problems of travelling from the unusually cool west of the continent to the red hot south east, where temperatures have nudged into the forties celsius!!
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Another good read Pete. Well done and congrats on your lifers.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:15 am That was a fabulous read, Pete, and yes, the expense was well worth it to find silvicolus.
Thanks David - you are right of course; worth every penny to see such a striking butterfly as the male silvicolus in the flesh!
Stevieb wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:12 am Another good read Pete. Well done and congrats on your lifers.
Thanks Steve

Return to “Overseas”