Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Trevor. I'm sure the damp spring and early summer weather will help, as it may also do for Small Tortoiseshell ... until the next drought!

The Purple Emperor season is underway. Matthew saw two at Knepp today. There was a time when we wouldn't see PE until White Admiral and SWF were both 'well out', including females. Based on the last couple of seasons, those old rules have been consigned to the dustbin. Go forth and seek HIM out. I suspect I'll see you soon.

BWs, Neil
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great news, Neil ! And the weather forecast for the week has improved.
As for Small Torts I've seen two so far this year, both ex hibernators, at Halnaker.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

22 June 2024

As my older brother has been living in either the Netherlands or Belgium for many years, he had never visited the BC Sussex reserves until yesterday (22 June). The main reasons for heading there were to show him how we have converted the once dark, conifer-dominated Rowland Wood into a place of beauty, and to see if we could re-locate Nigel the Nightjar (first spotted by Nigel Symington and hopefully indicative of breeding).

Bearing in mind that I'd seen no reports of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary over the preceding eleven days, this species wasn't even on our radar. I was therefore surprised and delighted when we found seven individuals, including five females laying eggs far and wide. The best of the other butterflies we saw included two White Admiral and my first Dark Green Fritillary of the year. We also encountered high numbers of Small Skipper, Large Skipper, Small Heath, Ringlet and Meadow Brown, together with a few Green-veined White, Speckled Wood, Holly Blue and Red Admiral.

We spotted a Yellow-legged Clearwing (without the help of a pheromone lure) and a brief hunt for reptiles was rewarded with a double-figure count of Slow Worm and a black Adder. Ironically, given that a recent habitat assessment performed by a statutory body raised concerns about a paucity of violets on Park Corner Heath, I saw more here than I've ever seen on any site anywhere! And yes, we did see Nigel.
UKB SPBF1 Rowland Wood 22.6.24.jpg
UKB SPBF2 Rowland Wood 22.6.24.jpg
UKB SPBF3 Rowland Wood 22.6.24.jpg
UKB SPBF4 Rowland Wood 22.6.24.jpg
UKB SPBF5 Rowland Wood 22.6.24.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see those SPBFs, Neil. I hope they can continue to thrive in that location.

Return to “Personal Diaries”