dilettante

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Long time no post, but thought I'd post a couple of recent shots:

Grizzled Skippers at Paxton Pits, Huntingdonshire, 5-May-2024. There were only a few around, but I hear numbers have grown since then. This looks like one male and one female:
Grizzled Skipper, Paxton Pits

Grizzled Skipper, Paxton Pits

Duke of Burgundy at Dunstable Downs, Bedfordshire, 11-May-2024. These seem to be doing very well this year, and the site looks great. Also seen, several Green Hairstreaks (see this short video of one taking flight , give a view of its uppersides https://youtu.be/IqvspIABi20 [/video], and a couple of Grizzled Skippers, along with the usual Orange Tip, Brimstones, Green-veined White etc

Duke of Burgundy, Dunstable Down

Perfect Duke of Burgundy habitat, Dunstable Down
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: dilettante

Post by Wurzel »

Welcome back Dilettante :D Great way to make a come back too - with cracking Grizzlies and Dukes 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That is a majestic sequence of images dilettante. :mrgreen:
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thank you wurzel and David. The Dukes were great to see doing so well, and I was pleased with those underside shots particularly.
dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

17-May-2024 Trumpington Meadows, Cambridge

Having heard the Small Blues were finally out (I'd failed to find any earlier in the week), I went back to Trumpington Meadows for another look. In their usual hotspot in the southern meadow, I fairly quickly came across a pair:

Small Blues in cop., Trumpington Meadows 17-May-2024

Small Blues in cop., Trumpington Meadows 17-May-2024

Small Blues in cop., Trumpington Meadows 17-May-2024 (Same pair as above, from the other side)

And there were a few more a little further on, probably 7 seen in total. I didn't check the north meadows on the other side of the M11, but they're usually easy to find there too.

Small Blue, Trumpington Meadows 17-May-2024

Small Blue, Trumpington Meadows 17-May-2024

Other than that, there were a few Small Heaths, the usual Whites, Orange-Tips, and several Peacocks gliding along the path, some of which had had a harder life than others:

Peacock, Trumpington Meadows 17-May-2024

Peacock, Trumpington Meadows 17-May-2024
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Small Blues Dilettante :D 8) The way that you've caught the scales on the wings is sublime 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Small Blues have been especially late to emerge this year, dilettante.

As ever, you have captured some fantastic images. :mrgreen:
dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Weds 5th June 2024

I went on a BC guided walk at Fineshade Woods, Northants, hoping to see Chequered Skipper. We'd been told the chances were quite low as numbers this year have not been good, and the weather was cool although dry and mostly bright. But no, no CS seen, and butterflies in general were noticeably absent. Total tally I think was one each of Black Haistreak, Large Skipper, Dingy Skipper and Common Blue, and several Speckled Woods. I don't even recall seeing any whites. But it was an interesting and enjoyable trip anyway, and my first visit to the site. I learned a lot about the CS and the efforts to reintroduce it to England.

Large Skipper, Fineshade Woods, 5-Jun-2024

Dingy Skipper, Fineshade Woods, 5-Jun-2024

Speckled Wood, Fineshade Woods, 5-Jun-2024

On the way home, I stopped at Monk's Wood to look for Black Hairstreak. I found several on one particular bush, but they kept themselves to the tops and didn't want to pose for the camera.

Black Hairstreak, Monks Wood, 5-Jun-2024

Meadow Brown, Monks Wood, 5-Jun-2024

Red Admiral, Monks Wood, 5-Jun-2024
dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Sunday 16th Jun 2024

The first day of sunshine after a cold wet spell, although still quite breezy. I went to Therfield Heath to see if the post-June gap butterfles were around. I found a few Marbled Whites and Meadow Browns, but surprisingly no skippers, and no Dark Greens. The wind didn't make for good photos, but it was nice to enjoy the company of the Marbled Whites in particular, as well as lots of Bee Orchids.

Marbled White, Therfield Heath, 16-Jun-2024

Bee Orchids, Therfield Heath, 16-Jun-2024

Meadow Brown, Therfield Heath, 16-Jun-2024
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That last Meadow Brown shot is a cracker Dilettante :D 8) Also the Bee Orchid shot made me chuckle - to my eyes they look like very smiley little gnomes in brown dungarees and green hats and the one bottom left is obviously shy so is hiding his head in his hands :lol: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Been slow going thus far this year, dilettante, so nice to see the Marbled White & Meadow Brown.

Return to “Personal Diaries”