Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D They are a charismatic butterfly; was it Matthew Oates who described them as 'sex maniacs'? :lol:

Martin Down 11-05-2024

After a surprisingly short time I found myself out of the car and walking the paths at Martin Down. Despite the apparent ideal conditions it seemed very quiet on the butterfly front and the only thing I saw as I walked across to the Dyke and along it towards the Big Butt was a single Brimstone. There was a feeling of it being a little too early hanging in the air but I had high hopes for the more sheltered little sun trap on the other side of the Big Butt. Again things turned out as hoped for because as I rounded the track to work along the foot of the Big Butt a Grizzlie flew up to greet me and led me along to the other end. I lost it as I reached the big of Bramble that stuck out onto the path and formed one arc of the scallop. I paused in the scallop itself and watched as a Green Hairstreak flashed past over the head of a Dingy. As I was thinking about approaching a small flash of silver flew in from the main part of the field and plopped itself down on a Bugle. At first I wondered if it was a Small Blue but once I’d relocated it I could see that it was in fact a Brown Argus. I needed to get used to the fact that they were on the scene and so now there were two possibilities for a ‘little silver job’. This one was a bit of a looker and so fresh out of the box but it didn’t hang around for too long to be admired as it got embroiled in a bitter dispute with a brace of Dingies that were also frequenting the scallop. After a chat with another couple of enthusiasts who as pleased with the Brown Argus as I was I made my way across the small field and got back onto the main path parallel to the Dyke; a Holly Blue flashed by as I did so.
11-05-2024 b 1.JPG
11-05-2024 b 2.JPG
11-05-2024 b 3.JPG
11-05-2024 b 4.JPG
The walk down to the Half-way point was, barring the bird song, pretty quiet with only a Peacock and a distant White, however as I neared the spot where the Burnt-tips grow I followed the lower track along the side of the Dyke and was soon onto various butterflies. I spent an agreeable 10 minutes or so here photographing anything that would allow me and if not adding it to the days tally. The Burnt-tips obviously were the easiest as all I had to do was sit and wait for the breeze to stop buffeting them and then click away whilst the lull lasted. A Peacock passed by but didn’t stop but a Small Blue, two Dingies and four Grizzlies were slightly more accommodating after a fashion, well some of them were as I got photos of all three species but I’m not sure how many individuals?
11-05-2024 b 5.JPG
11-05-2024 b 6.JPG
11-05-2024 b 7.JPG
I had a quick look along the path at the Half-way point and the tussocks of long grass where path crosses path produced first a Grizzlie looking a little out of place amid the long grass and then a Small Blue which fitted right in. I love the way these diminutive butterflies walk along the blades of grass like crossing a bridge. The rest of the path was quiet and when I retraced my steps back out into the open grassland of the Dyke both the Grizzlie and the Small Blue had vanished and so I made my way all the way back to the start of the Dyke, drifting along lazily despite drawing dangerously near to ‘time to go’. The only thing of note was a Greenstreak frequenting the part of the Dyke so beloved of Marshies and a possible Common Blue as I crossed back to the car park side of the ditch.

I drove home happily despite not finding a Marshie as a day with great company, a double figure species count and 5 (possibly 6) new species for the year certainly isn’t too shabby! Hopefully by the following weekend Marshies and Pearls will finally be on the Tally.
11-05-2024 b 8.JPG
11-05-2024 b 9.JPG
11-05-2024 b 10.JPG
11-05-2024 b 11.JPG
Hang on a minute...
Hang on a minute...
I've got something in my antenna...
I've got something in my antenna...
Almost got it...
Almost got it...
A blank on Marshies
But still what a cracking day
A great ensemble

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Those orchids are exquisite and Grizzlies are like gold dust this year :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

I agree about the Burnt-Tip orchids, fabulous, never seen one.
It seems to be a great year for orchids, all that rain perhaps.

Silly season's around the corner.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Katrina :D Yep the Grizzlies have been a bit thin on the ground this year :?
Cheers Trevor :D Next season I need to give you a guided tour of Martin Down :wink: :D

Bentley 15-05-2024

Having missed the Bentley Pearls by a day or so I was anxious to get my annual fix of this species and so it transpired that at the end of a heavy day of assessments and marking I found myself negotiating the terrible track towards the eastern car park at Bentley Wood. I was pleased that my tires and suspension were still intact, I hadn’t grounded my car and even more pleased to hear the diphthong call of the Cuckoo amongst the various others calls and songs having safely reached the parking space. It was a glorious racket that accompanied me as I cut through the trees, enjoying the delicious cool of the shade for the first time this year, to the Cowley Copse track. From here I worked into the Eastern Clearing via the Marshie Field and as I stepped over the ditch I spotted my first Pearl of 2024. As I watched it zoom this way and that I spotted a cyclist who I only recognized once we started chatting. While we talked about how the Pearls were faring one stopped right in front of us and I grabbed a few record shots whilst it supped on Bugle.
15-05-2024 1.JPG
When we parted ways I set off for a walk around the Clearing and the surrounding environs. Down to the ‘Duke’ end and round and back up the other side and then across and up and down the Back track. It was all very quiet with main butterfly activity restricted to the EC itself and then it was only a single Green-veined White and the occasional Brimstone. As I walked the odd Fox Moth or plenty of Speckled Yellows had me falsely exclaiming “Pearl” to myself until I’d completed the thought process of; that’s too big/too small, that’s too fast/too slow and too flappy or that’s too brown/too yellow. Luckily by the time I got to the middle section of the main part of the E.C. I’d gotten my eye in and I managed to spot a few of the Goldilocks butterfly that I was seeking. They seemed to be ranging across the length of the site but favouring the section from the middle to the end nearest the car park for slowing down, probably as this was slightly drier and held more Bugle than the wetter end which was rich in various reedy looking grasses. I followed a fast moving male, which slowed down when he came close to me. He had found a female (which I’d missed) and after she’d seen off his unwanted attentions she settled down giving me the chance for a few underside shots. Unfortunately I was on the shaded side but over the years I’ve learnt not to be fussy (I find it’s better to get what you can as often great stuff appears, the few times I’ve ‘tried’ I’ve ended up with nothing) and so clicked away. I moved back, stood up and contemplated my next move when the female took to the wing again so I decided to follow her to see where she’d land. I was also using her as living bait, hoping that she’d entice any roving males my way. She started feeding on a Bugle at the edge of the little ditch on the other side of which was another enthusiast with their own Pearl.
15-05-2024 2.JPG
15-05-2024 3.JPG
15-05-2024 4.JPG
15-05-2024 5.JPG
When our respective Pearls has departed and we’d had a bit of a natter I worked back to the middle section and found a Grizzlie sitting in the middle of one of the narrowest track ways. After a few shots it moved off and so did I, to stand at the edge of the ‘wet bit’ and look out for the Pearls to return and slow down having completed the faster part of their circuit/patrol route. As I stood and watched and waited an Argent and Sable appeared but unfortunately I couldn’t get any shots as despite my best efforts it only stopped for a fractions of a second each time it landed. It led me on a merry dance around the clearing first before disappearing up and off into the tree line. Brimstones kept catching my attention but as I was here for the Pearls I couldn’t get distracted. The Pearls themselves seemed to come in waves, hanging around the middle section and then zooming off so I settling down to waiting for them to pass through on their next pass was the best and also least tiring option. It paid off as another pairing turn up as well as a brilliantly behaved singleton who showed off the under wing to great effect.
15-05-2024 6.JPG
15-05-2024 7.JPG
15-05-2024 8.JPG
15-05-2024 9.JPG
15-05-2024 10.JPG
15-05-2024 11.JPG
15-05-2024 12.JPG
15-05-2024 13.JPG
I spotted another courting pair which left me wondering whether this was a case of ‘love is in the air’ or a mass harassment case in the making? Snapping myself out of such idle musings I followed the pair pretty much from the centre of the EC right up into Marshie field. They would stop occasionally, he would fly avidly around here whilst she would sit, lined up with the grass stem she was perched on, head down to the ground and wings flapping irritably. She was having none of it! At one point they sat on a log and the male seemed to caress her hind wing with the clubs on his antennae but still she wasn’t interested and they went off in what turned out to be one final chase. She lost him amongst some old Bracken stacks and sat there gathering her breath. It didn’t feel right to bother her anymore so I just stood and watched to see what she would do. Which as it turned out was make a couple more small flights with pauses on various perching points before, at 5:30 flying up into one of the Birch trees for the night. I made my way back into the EC and had a chat with the other enthusiast he suggested that that would be it now, they’d all be tucked up in their beds roosting. I had one final pass and sure enough didn’t see another butterfly, let alone another Pearl…
15-05-2024 14.JPG
15-05-2024 15.JPG
15-05-2024 16.JPG
15-05-2024 17.JPG
I headed for home job done but feeling slightly uneasy that the Pearls - could be going the same way as their slightly smaller relations?
Fast moving gingers
Pearls glittering in the sun
Bentley evening trip

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Lovely pictures from Martin Down, Wurzel. We were hoping to go the other week, but the weather had other ideas!

What a shame I don’t live a bit nearer...
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

You did much better with the Pearls than we did, Wurzel :) I'd forgotten just how difficult they can be :roll:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great Pearl report. :mrgreen: for those glorious underside shots.
I'm sure the heatwaves of 22/23 are at least partially responsible for the low
number seen this year. It will be interesting to see if numbers recover after
the ' normal ' summer weather we are enduring this year.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some great shots of the Bentley Pearls, Wurzel. :) I can remember the first time I saw them down there - they were all over the wood, along the rides and easy to find. Numbers seem to have gradually reduced year on year, sadly.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Essex :D The weather hasn't really been playing fair this year has it :?
Cheers Maximus :D Even in the early evening they were racing around - there didn't seem to be many about either so fingers crossed they'll hang on here unlike the Small Pearls :?
Cheers Trevor :D Fingers crossed Trevor and if that is the case then perhaps I'll change my tune about the 'awful weather' :wink:
Cheers Dave :D I think they're more numerous in the western side of the wood now and the Eastern Clearing has had its 'day' :? but then hopefully as Trevor says it was the drought last year they reduced the numbers this year, here's hoping :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 19-05-2024

The weather forecast for the Saturday hadn’t been that accurate, instead of the heavy shows and black clouds there was a little covering of grey and even the occasional brighter interlude that had me second guessing about staying in and catching up on Wandavision. This boded well for the Sunday though as there was a window off about 4 hours in the morning showing full sun, blue skies and 15 degrees minimum, which judging by the level of inaccuracy today should have meant it would possibly be more conducive than suggested. So I’d be able pop over first thing, grab a few Marshies and be back before anyone realised. Even better I had to do a trip to Ikea in the afternoon when the cloud, and wind and rain would be smothering the site so there would be no FOMO. What a great plan…

But it didn’t happen like that…I was greeted by blue skies when I arose but by the time I’d washed, dressed and grabbed my gear it had started to cloud over and as I set off once at Martin Down it was still grey and surprisingly cold. Unsurprisingly the butterflies weren’t showing at all. I kept checking the app and it assured me that it was pleasantly warm under the full sun without a cloud in the sky…I ended up walking from the main car park to the top of the Dyke, then all the way along to the half way point where I paused for the Burnt-tips, on down to the terraces and round the old hotspot near Greenstreak field and then back to the half-way point without seeing a single thing, not even a hardy Brimstone that managed to fly in the chill of February nor a butterfly roosting atop a seed head. As I was walking I would pause occasionally to check to see if they’d updated the forecast but no they carried on telling me to relax and enjoy the balmy weather under a cloudless sky! I must confess that more than a few choice words were uttered but luckily they got carried away on the strengthening breeze so they were barely a whisper.
19-05-2024 1.JPG
As I approached the half way point from the main track and I was inwardly chuntering away I suddenly stopped dead and silenced the inner monologue. Among the taller tussocks of green grass I’d spotted a miniscule white flag. As I neared to confirm that it was a Small Blue suddenly there were three more, closed up Small Blues hiding in plain sight. I set about getting some shots and tried for all four individuals but this proved tricky as one was sitting much lower than the others on its perch and so I had to shoot from an angle which proved tricky.
19-05-2024 2.JPG
19-05-2024 3.JPG
Slightly relieved to have actually found something to photograph of the lepidopteran variety I strolled up the path aiming to get back on the path that runs along the Dyke. As I turned the corner I examined the tussocks on the corner as this little spot often holds Small Blue. So it turned out again and once again there were four Small Blues spread across the various tussocks. Getting shots felt slightly easier this time as I’d picked up a thin stick which I was able to thread amongst the grass blades and hold back those that would obstruct my view of the butterfly. I started back, now scanning the seed heads and pods and the dried husks and skeletons of last years’ plants. It paid off as about half way back to the Butts I found a Grizzlie and then when I was three quarters of the way to the Butts there were a brace of Grizzlies together.
19-05-2024 5.JPG
19-05-2024 6.JPG
19-05-2024 7.JPG
19-05-2024 8.JPG
19-05-2024 9.JPG
19-05-2024 10.JPG
19-05-2024 11.JPG
19-05-2024 12.JPG
19-05-2024 13.JPG
With raised hopes I carried on seeking out dead seed heads and often glancing up at the sky and convincing myself that it was looking a little brighter or that there was a slither of blue. There wasn’t and whilst checking out the little scallops at the foot of the Big Butt I spotted an enthusiast that I’ve often bumped into. Unfortunately every time I’ve bumped into them in the past I’ve failed to find what I was looking for. As we talked all hope of a Marshie evaporated and seemingly condensed as I swear there was a slight mizzle. When we went our separate ways I set off along the Dyke to check the start and in the first little hollow there was a Dingy clinging to a rounded seed head, doing its best to blend in. If I hadn’t have gotten my eye in on its smaller cousin then I would definitely have missed it.
19-05-2024 14.JPG
19-05-2024 15.JPG
19-05-2024 16.JPG
After this I carried on checking out the Dyke and bumped into Chris C and his partner and after a chat and a catch-up carried on round and back down the main track to the Butts which runs parallel to the Dyke. I relocated and found a few more Green-winged Orchids along the way but I was starting to feel pressed for time so I didn’t tarry too long and my circular route brought me back to the little hollow where the Dingy had been. It was still there but in the now brightening skies (typical) it had been joined by both a Small Blue and a Grizzlie. The former was clambering around in the grasses lower to ground and so getting any shots without a forest of green in the way was next to impossible and the latter clung grimly to its perch. With that I made my way back to car Marshie-less.
19-05-2024 17.JPG
19-05-2024 18.JPG
19-05-2024 19.JPG
19-05-2024 21.JPG
In a way this trip had proved to be a boon as I’d managed to get plenty of closed wing shots of Grizzlies, a Dingy wrapped round a seed head and also gotten my eye in on roosting butterflies – a habit which may come in useful on future trips either when the weather isn’t great or for those when I make a very early start. At least this is what I told myself as I drove away, to blue-ing skies and increasing temperatures which by the time I’d gotten home and picked the girls up to walk around an industrial, artificially lit, blue and yellow monstrosity, had become possibly the best weather of the year! Typical, so much for no FOMO!
Where were they hiding?
Roosting under leaded skies
And who could blame them

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

A good haul there despite the poor weather. Those Small Blues are definitely worth :mrgreen:
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

You managed to get some great underside shots of the Small Blues and Grizzlies at Martin Down, Wurzel, in spite of the 'Great British' weather :roll: :)
Martin Down seems to be our nemesis site for Leps, three visits and not very much seen :lol:
millerd

Post by millerd »

In the end you had ideal conditions for roosting butterflies, Wurzel! Great shots of all three of those species. :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Katrina :D Even after the worst days you seldom head home without something on the memory card 8)
Cheers Maximus :D Martin Down hasn't been on top form this year :? I'm just hoping that the late summer offering picks up, fingers crossed :)
Cheers Dave :D That's the thing with this year, you have to spin for the positives :wink: :lol:

Sidbury 20-05-2024

As the working day came to a close I was packed, ready and in my mind at least I was already in the car negotiating the back roads to Sidbury! Having found a brace of Small Heath and watched a Wall whiz by on my lunch time walk up the field and what with the distinct lack of cloud in the blue sky (finally) I had a feeling that this would be a great trip. My feelings were further justified as I drove up the final stretch of track and a Wall flew alongside my car. Having necked my coffee and donned my hat I was soon away across the grass to the rougher patch, ripped and gouged by past tank tracks, in front of the copse. Small Heath seemed to erupt with each step but the rough ground was quiet with only a Brown Argus pausing from its flight to sup and switching from silver to chocolate brown as it stopped. I followed the main track down and worked back round the copse as a spotted a Marshie. It hung around the damper vegetation on the North side of the copse and so did I. It fluttered about a fair bit as nothing else would let it settle and it would be turfed out of one spot only to fly clumsily into another butterfly’s territory when the scenario would play out once more. Once it had worked its way through the territories of a Brown Argus, Dingy Skipper and Small Heath it would fly back round and, having not learnt its lesson, run through the whole rigmarole once more. Once I finally had a few shots I stood back and a Common Blue flashed past making me realise that I had seen one on my visit to Martin Down a week or so previously.
20-05-2024 1.JPG
20-05-2024 2.JPG
20-05-2024 3.JPG
20-05-2024 4.JPG
20-05-2024 5.JPG
I carried on up the track towards the base of the hill with that slight sense of satisfaction that comes with having ‘got what I came to see’ scanning slightly more intently than before now I knew that my quarry was definitely ‘out’. As I rounded the corner at the top I wasn’t greeted by the hoped for Small Copper but instead more Marshies – which seemed like a more than reasonable trade. As I carefully picked my way into and across the top of the field, snaking my feet around the tussocks I spotted a couple more Marshies, maybe 4 in total possibly 5. The job of counting wasn’t made any easier by the blessed Small Heaths. A few years back they seemed to have a dip in number but now they’re back to their annoying best and with a vengeance, spooking pretty much every Marshie that I approached. I changed up my methods and tried to follow the spooked butterfly in the hope that when it landed I would be able to grab a few shots before the Small Heath cottoned on to its presence and set it off again. As well as the Marshies there were plenty of Moffs that would zip off like misfiring rockets and also a somewhat out of place Greenstreak.
20-05-2024 6.JPG
20-05-2024 7.JPG
20-05-2024 8.JPG
20-05-2024 9.JPG
20-05-2024 10.JPG
I waded back out of the field on followed the hard track up the slight rise at the foot of the hill with a Wall passing by and various Grizzlies and Dingies scattered about like dull confetti. On one of the little side paths a Brown Argus caught my attention and then I carried on to Duke Corner. As I approached I spotted a Wall landing at the bottom of the deeply gouged rut of the path. It was hidden from view so I needed to get close enough to look over the grass. Then I hit a snag as sitting on the opposite side of the rut, looking down from atop the overhanging grasses was a Duke. I didn’t know quite what to go for and in the end my internal debate was settled for me. As I tried for a record shot of each a Fox Moth shot past and the Wall went up in pursuit practically knocking the Duke from its perch. I waited about for a bit and the Wall returned almost as briefly but I couldn’t relocate the Duke so I carried on, back along the path and then round to the thin turf on the side of the hill behind Duke Corner.
20-05-2024 11.JPG
20-05-2024 12.JPG
20-05-2024 13.JPG
As I broke through much overgrown cover a Holly blue drifted past and up into the surrounding trees whilst lower to the ground both a Dingy and Grizzlie popped up, a Common Blue flashed past and various Forester Moths buzzed around like flying jewels. Up in the Little Valley as well as a Dingy there was also a surprise awaiting me – it was a Duke. Unfortunately as I got so few shots of the one from Duke Corner and despite getting a memory card full of this one, I couldn’t say if it was a different individual or not. Either way it was nice seeing this charismatic little butterfly in yet another part of the site. On up the hill I went and climbed over the fence to the Cross Tracks where a Wall was waiting for me and also a strong scent of burning ‘herbage from some local lads out on their motocross bikes. Still they had the decency to freewheel away down the hill and not start their engines until they were out of sight/hearing!
20-05-2024 14.JPG
20-05-2024 15.JPG
20-05-2024 16.JPG
20-05-2024 17.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, you've done much better than me with the Butterflies, I keep going looking but not too much to report :( I will how ever be going to Blean Woods if the weather keeps up it's been awful here. Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just read Trevor's post and it's put me to shame, I live so near and never thought with the weather we've had the Heath would be out , sorry for that Wurzel , I'll be up in the wood tomorrow :oops: :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cracking Small Blue shots in your earlier report :mrgreen:
A species that always gives me a hard time, especially at ' The Hill '.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A great selection from Sidbury, Wurzel (without the cloud and the cold northeasterly wind... :wink: :) ). I just imagine that great swathes of M.o.D. land across Wiltshire are actually all as good as this, and go mostly unseen and undisturbed (except by the odd tank or two. :) ).

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A nice selection of butterlies in your recent reports Wurzel, I especially like the roosting Grizzlie and Dingy Skipper shots :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I don't think I'll be able to make it to East Blean this year so take some photos for me if you go :wink: :D
Cheers Trevor :D The trick was to find them becalmed and sodden :roll: :lol: There are some more Small Blues to come in a later post that I think you might like :wink:
Cheers Dave :D Always the way, the recce proves more fruitful than the planned visit :roll: Still I tried not to use the phrase "you should have been here a week ago" on our visit :wink: one of my pet hates that phrase :lol:
Cheers Neil :D There were the definite up side to the wildly inaccurate weather forecast :roll: :lol:

Sidbury 20-05-2024 Part 2

Led on by a male Orange-tip I then dove briefly into the cool shade of the wood and back out into the sun and shelter of the rings themselves. As this part is the more shaded part the grass had grown taller than elsewhere in the ring and so I progressed along the bottom quite quickly as there weren’t any butterflies. As I rounded the corner of the ellipse the wood ceased on one side and retreated on the other and here the sun poured in, the gentle breeze dropped and it felt noticeably warmer and drier. The turf under my feet was now much thinner and there seemed to be an inverse relationship between butterfly numbers and sward height as now I entered into something of a battle zone. Dingies and Grizzlies hassled each other whilst the Brown Argus had it in for both and the Common Blue that turned up. It also had a pop at the Small Copper that appeared, much to my annoyance but I carried on round safe in the knowledge that they would still be there when I came back this way. As I did a Wall did a few passes, Small Heath either erupted as like they do or turned up just as I was about to get a shot of something else and there were good numbers of Dingies but only a couple of Grizzlies.
20-05-2024 18.JPG
20-05-2024 19.JPG
20-05-2024 20.JPG
At the ‘end’ I climbed out of the ring, walked across the bridge and then headed back down into the ring again. Just ahead of me the wood once again swallowed up the rings and as I drew near the sward increased and I followed a Marshie. However it pulled a nasty little trick and flew from the bright sunshine into the shade offered by the trees and I lost it as I reacted too slowly in removing my shades. After picking up a Greenstreak which didn’t sit still for too long I started the return route this time wandering over the exposed side of the rings on my way back to the bridge. A Marshie popped up, fresher looking than the previous sneaky one and so I managed to keep it in view as it flew from nectar stop to nectar stop. Then it was over the bridge and back into the ring proper with the usual stuff and by that I mean the same species and in some cases the exact same butterflies that I saw on the outward leg. In addition there was a Greenstreak and the Wall was a little more relaxed this turn round.
20-05-2024 21.JPG
20-05-2024 22.JPG
20-05-2024 23.JPG
20-05-2024 24.JPG
20-05-2024 25.JPG
20-05-2024 26.JPG
20-05-2024 27.JPG
20-05-2024 28.JPG
20-05-2024 29.JPG
20-05-2024 30.JPG
At the exit point instead of walking out I carried on along the ring a short way. Unlike last year I didn’t find any Dukes but there was a Wall on the top of the ring in a large crop of Bugle. After this I worked back to the Cross Tracks pausing for the Wall again and then worked swiftly down the steep track making for Duke Corner again. I took a shortcut through the Beech wood and in the shade and stumbled across a solitary Bird’s Nest Orchid before being almost blinded as I left the wood behind and ventured out into the open again. I contemplated heading to Duke Corner itself but the cloak and fingers of shadow had lengthened sufficiently to the point of covering the spot and so any butterflies would have moved elsewhere. I then strolled back along the byways, down to the little spot where I’d found the Marshies in a bid to catch up with them a second time and maybe make a more accurate count. This proved easy as I couldn’t find any and they must have moved on but instead there was a stunning Duchess. At first I didn’t know what it was, the patterning from a far was actually quite suggestive of a bright and variable Heath Fritillary. It was only when I got close enough to see the individual markings and get an idea of the size that I sussed it out as a Duke/Duchess. The inner row of markings on the hind wing weren’t the usual orange colour but instead a pale lemon colour and it was this that had made me momentarily think that it was something else. It’s possible that some Victorian Aurelian had given it a proper name but that didn’t really matter to me I was just enjoying it being a ‘little Beaut’. When it nipped off I wandered down the main track, the odd Brimstone sailing by in the distance and had one last look around the little triangle of scrub finding a few Dingies, Small Heath and a roosting Common Blue. Looked like it was time to go…
20-05-2024 31.JPG
20-05-2024 32.JPG
20-05-2024 33.JPG
Is this an ab?
Is this an ab?
20-05-2024 35.JPG
20-05-2024 36.JPG
20-05-2024 37.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”