Black Hairstreak in southern England.

Jack Harrison

Black Hairstreak in southern England.

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am revisiting my copy of South "The Butterflies of the British Isles" which I won way back in 1947 as a school prize, an era when children were encouraged to be competitive.

The Black Hairstreak entry intrigues:
"Larvae have been recorded from Surrey.  These were beaten from sloe in May 1919".

It is generally assumed that the colonies at Ditchling Common, Epsom Common and allegedly the Cranleigh area are all the result of introductions in the middle of the 20th century.  But maybe Richard South was on to something in the 1941 edition of his book.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Re: Black Hairstreak in southern England.

Post by Jack Harrison »

Specualation.  See my previous entry in this thread. viewtopic.php?t=11894

Black Hairstreaks are seemingly well established in Ditchling and Epsom Commons.  Presumably these are the result of introductions (Peter Cribb?).

Glapthorn Cow Pasture near Oundle, Northants, has long been known as a Black Hairstreak locality.  Some 20 years ago, a retired teacher from Oundle School was giving us group of butterfly enthusiasts an informal talk in the wood.  He said that many, if not most, of the Black Hairstreak localities were on land once owned by the Rothschild family of noted naturalists.  Had the  Rothschilds introduced Black Hairstreaks in the 1800s?  That speculation seems quite plausible now given how easy it seems to be to introduce Black Hairstreaks into suitable, locations (assuming SE English ones are indeed introductions).

Jack

Return to “Black Hairstreak”