Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Maximus

Post by Wurzel »

Funnily enough Fovant Badges is the spot I've visited for my Wiltshire Dukes Maximus :D Did you have any luck in the 'Bowl' on your right as you climb over the stile? I await the report all the more eagerly now.
Going back a bit - :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I bet you can guess what they're for! :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You've done really well with those Wall Browns, Mike, especially capturing that extreme ab.

Never seen anything like that in this species. In fact, I'm not sure if I've even seen a mild aberration in megera.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yes we did have some luck in the 'Bowl', Wurzel, but much luck elsewhere too :)

Cheers, David, we were lucky with the Wall ab. as it was so well behaved. Cathy got a lovely shot on her mobile from just a few inches away :shock:

15th May, Fovant Badges

The directions given to us from the guy at Battlesbury were a bit vague to say the least. So we put Fovant Badges into google maps which turned out to be a big mistake. We followed google all the way and even when it told us to turn right onto a dirt track. As we got further along it became a nightmare of water-filled potholes some so deep that the car grounded on a fair few occasions and Cathy was worried that we might rip the car exhaust off! We carried on along the track (which I now know was Shaftesbury old drove) for what seemed like miles, until it finally spilled us out onto the A30. We turned left away from Salisbury and soon came to a layby with a view of the badges but no access to them. Carrying on we eventually turned into a small lane which took us nearer to the down and eventually to a small gravel layby by a gate. It looked promising, so we made haste through the gate and followed a small path round to the right through the brambles and up a slope into a deep bowl. We immediately began seeing Dukes, threes and fours spiralling upwards in combat before separating and returning to terra firma. There were at least ten males here so I began taking shots as and when they settled.

P1070796.jpgDResize.JPG
P1470028.jpgDResize.JPG
P1070800.jpgDResize.JPG

After enjoying this Duke spectacle for some time we then headed up an inviting looking sunken path which ran up the hillside. Along here we encountered Dukes at ever footfall..

P1460876.jpgDResize.JPG
P1070783.jpgDResize.JPG

..and then we found a mating pair..

P1460940.jpgZResize.JPG

..and an easy going Wall Brown..

P1070828.jpgDResize.JPG

..and our first Small Heath of the year..

P1460988.jpgDResize.JPG

..and even more Dukes...

P1460857.jpgDResize.JPG

..thirty plus Dukes seen in total, and just the one Duchess. When we came back down the hill an hour later the mating pair were still going strong :)

P1470057.jpgZResize.JPG

..a lovely Wiltshire site :)
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Glorious photos but I don’t envy you the car groundings.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well done on your DoB’s, M. I’ve driven past the Badges on a number of occasions, as my sister used to live near there. But never stoped, I had no idea it was such a great Duke site!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots of the Dukes Maximus Goldie :mrgreen:
David M

Post by David M »

Sounds like a stressful journey to get there, Mike. Good job you got your quarry when you finally arrived. Great to see the mating pair.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Parts of that journey sound like an endurance test!, but ultimately worth it.
Some sites we visit just aren't straight forward. Lovely shots never the less!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's a brilliant site for them isn't it Maximus :D Great that you got to fill your boots with them 8) and the Walls do seem more chilled there :mrgreen: There were still a few about this weekend but they're starting to peter out now, if you're in the area next season I can PM you some directions for a much easier journey :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Katrina, the groundings were not nice, but it was worth it to see the Dukes.

Thanks, EB, it's a shame you weren't aware of the Duke site, as you could have timed the visits to your sister's to coincide with their flight period.

Thank you, Goldie, I hope you soon find plenty of Heath Fritillaries at Blean.

Stressful indeed, David, I think that a 4x4 would have struggled, but we managed it and found some lovely DOB.

Cheers, Trevor, it was hard work getting there but the Dukes more than made up for it.

It's a brilliant site indeed, Wurzel, both for the DOB and the scenery, and yes we filled our boots. It's a shame that their flight period is so short :( Thank you for the kind offer of directions for next season :D

Martin Down 17th May

Another visit to this site which had so far not rewarded us with very many butterfly sightings. This is a large site and I would imagine that local knowledge would be needed to pin down the butterfly locations among the vast sea of grass. We walked along the path from the main car park keeping the Bokerley Ditch to our right, listening to the song of the seemingly abundant Skylarks and a Cuckoo calling in the distance. The ditch seemed quite overgrown and apart from the many Brimstones was seemingly devoid of any other butterflies. It wasn't until we reached the shelter of the old rifle range butt that we spotted some Grizzled and Dingy Skippers..

P1070837Resize.JPG
P1470167Resize.JPG
P1470066Resize.JPG
P1470181Resize.JPG

There were perhaps three or four of each, a single Green Hairstreak and a Small Heath...

P1470125Resize.JPG
P1470147Resize.JPG

A little bit further on we found some orchids growing on the bank of the ditch, Burnt Tip Orchids, something we'd not seen before...

P1470083Resize.JPG
P1070839Resize.JPG

We didn't find many butterflies but perhaps it still hadn't reached it's peak, but it was a nice walk, well it was until a farmer on a tractor with a spray boom began spraying in the field along the margin of the down. Whatever he was spraying was drifting on the breeze onto the down and was choking us and other walkers. The smell was like creosote, very nasty, hopefully it wasn't chemicals!!!
We also saw a couple of moths, a Mother Shipton and a Common Heath and a few Stonechats.

P1470063Resize.JPG
P1470149Resize.JPG
P1470140Resize.JPG
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Compton Down 20th May

We were toying with the idea of visiting the Isle of Wight specifically to see the Glanville Fritillaries, but as we were due to house/dogs/cats/kids sit for our son, in Sussex for a week, we would be unable to fit in a visit to the Isle. But I remembered that Compton had received an unofficial release of Glanvilles several years ago, so why not go there. We used to enjoy seeing them at Wrecclesham before it was ruined, so why not enjoy them at Compton...if they were 'out'. We could also combine the visit with a look for Marsh Fritillaries, but i'd not seen any online confirmation that Marsh Frits. had emerged at Compton either, but we decided we'd take a look.
We parked in the National Trust carpark under Compton Abbas airfield at the top of the down. There were already a few cars parked up but perhaps they were dog walkers? Setting off down the main track brought back memories of ten years ago, the last time we'd been here, and as we rounded a corner we suddenly caught sight of the down.

P1470534Resize.JPG

We hurried on down but made time to take a look in the quarry, which meant crawling under a barbed wire fence that I'm sure wasn't there ten years ago?

P1470348Resize.JPG

Taking a look round we found just two Dingy Skippers..

P1070892Resize.JPG
P1070893Resize.JPG

We carried on down the track until we reached the steps which led us up to the stile an onto the down. There we found two paths, one going up and one along, we took the latter as it would probably be easier going in the hot, bright, conditions. There were plenty of Small Heaths as we walked along the path which ran parallel to the track, but was separated from it by a large impenetrable hedgerow. We also began picking up Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, but we ignored these as trying to get shots would sap our energy, which we might need later if we found our targets. We followed the path for about fifteen minutes and had got to a point where the down curves round at ninety degrees. Just then I spotted a smallish ginger couloured butterfly which could only be one thing, our first Marsh Fritillary for quite a few years, so they had emerged.

P1470209Resize.JPG

As we searched around this area we began seeing more Marsh Frits. the problem was that as it was so hot in this sheltered micro-climate at the bottom of the down, they were closing their wings when they settled. It took some persistence and luck to catch an open-winged shot, the best time was as they had just landed, you had about fifteen second or so to get the shot.

P1470220Resize.JPG
P1470275Resize.JPG
P1470251Resize.JPG
P1070906Resize.JPG

We probably saw about fifteen in total, so their emergence was probably just beginning. After spending an enjoyable hour or so with these lovely butterflies we dragged ourselves away to go and see if any Glanville Fritillaries had yet emerged. As we took the path back along the down we found an amazing amount of Dingies, Grizzlies and now Small Blues, they were everywhere and really active in the heat. Heading Back down the main track not really knowing where to look, we kept our eyes on the bank to the side of the path as we walked. Having gone a little way along the path I spotted a medium sized ginger-coloured butterfly sat up on a plant stem, and thinking it was a Marsh Frit I took a closer look, but it wasn't a Marshie it was a Glanville Frit, mission accomplished.

P1470288Resize.JPG

Walking along the grassy bank it wasn't long before we found another and then three or four more..

P1470298Resize.JPG
P1470329Resize.JPG
P1470346Resize.JPG

We saw a total of 4 or five and later talked to a chap who told us that there was only one seen the day before. There was plenty of Ribwort Plantain growing on the bank which is probably why they are self sustaining. The amount of Small Blues on the bank was amazing,(but we left them for another time) they must be having a good year and the bonus was to find two Adonis Blues which looked really fresh.

P1470516Resize.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful photos, esp the open wing Marsh Fritillary and Adonis.
Sound like the trip was timed to perfection and I am glad the Grizzlies are doing well somewhere.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking photos and reports Maximus 8) Martin Down has been poor this year; an awful lot of walking for a few butterflies, various previously productive parts of the Dyke have been grazed to within an inch of their life whilst other sections left to overgrow - hopefully it'll be back to it's former glory by the time the Chalkhills emerge :? As for Compton Down - that is a brilliant site with the added bonus that you can call in at Fovant on the way home :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that, Mike. Looks like your timing was perfect.

Lovely Fritillaries. :mrgreen:
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Katrina, our timing was bang on and it was nice to see all those Grizzlies too.

Cheers, Wurzel, I was beginning to wonder about Martin Down but your comment explains IT all :? We saw the grazing sheep, it looked a right mess! Yes Compton is a fabulous site especially with the badges on the route back to Salisbury :)

Cheers, David, glad you enjoyed the read. Yes we were very lucky with the timing of our visit.

Lydlinch 21st May

Today we decided to head for Lydlinch Common, a place I'd had in mind to visit at Marsh Fritillary time for several years. We took the quick route via Blandford and then headed up the A347. Not knowing exactly where to park I'd taken a look on Google and found the small layby off the A3030 by the main entrance gate. When we arrived however there was a massive articulated lorry taking up the whole space, and it didn't look like he would be moving anytime soon. We drove around a bit until I found a field entrance with just enough room for one car to park without blocking the tractor access. I had read that Lydlinch was a marshy site and that soon became obvious as we set off squelching along a muddy rutted track. Not knowing the likely location of any Marsh Fritillaries we began searching anywhere that looked promising. It was more wooded than I had imagined and was far removed from the downland sites that we normally visit for this species. At the end of the track was a large field which we spent some time searching but found nothing. We then followed another track that ran parallel to the boundary fence through pockets of woodland with small clearings every so often. As we walked through the third clearing I spooked a medium sized gingery looking butterfly, keeping my eyes on it I walked slowly over to where it had settled, and there was our first Lydlinch Marsh Fritillary.

Marsh Fritillary Male - Lydlinch Common 21.5 24.
Marsh Fritillary Male - Lydlinch Common 21.5 24.

After this sighting we found no more in this clearing but became aware of several Nightingales singing in the woodland. We moved on along the path exploring another large field again with no result. As we came back through the gate I noticed a large open marshy clearing among the woodland. I headed into it and had only taken a couple of steps when I flushed two Marsh Frits from the ground in front of me. Slowly looking around we began to see Marsh Frits all over the place, and as the weather was dull they were not so inclined to fly unless disturbed.

Marsh Fritillary Male - Lydlinch Common 21.5.24.

We found several females in close proximity sitting off the ground on an unbellifer..

Marsh Fritillaries Female  - Lydlinch Common 21.5.24.
Marsh Fritillaries Female - Lydlinch Common 21.5.24.
Marsh Fritillary 1 Female - Lydlinch Common  21.5.24.
Marsh Fritillary 1 Female - Lydlinch Common 21.5.24.
Marsh Fritillary 2 Female with meconium showing RH upperwing - Lydlinch Common  21.5.24.
Marsh Fritillary 2 Female with meconium showing RH upperwing - Lydlinch Common 21.5.24.

And more males..

The Marshy Clearing - Lydlinch Common 21.5.24.
The Marshy Clearing - Lydlinch Common 21.5.24.

In all we saw at last twenty five plus Marsh Fritillaries just in this clearing. Strangely though we didn't see any other butterfly species during our visit! It was nice to hear at least three Nightingales singing even though the site is in close proximity to the main A347 road.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That third Marshie is a right looker Maximus :shock: 8) I've not been to Lydlinch is it close to Hazelbury Bryan/Alners Gorse? I feel like I should make a visit but there are so many closer sites (including one near Odstock hospital :shock: ) it doesn't get a look in :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yes the third one was a good looking Frit, Wurzel, shame it didn't open it's wings fully. Lydlinch is ten minutes from Alners Gorse. Are the Marsh Frits at the Odstock site a release? I've wanted to visit Lydlinch for a while so made the most of being in Salisbury at the moment. It's a more traditional Marshy site rather than the downland sites we generally visit for Marsh Frits, well worth a visit. The Nightingales are also a brilliant bonus :D

Figsbury 29th May

Headed off to Figsbury Ring this morning having not visited this site for a few years. It used to be a very reliable site for us for Adonis Blues and in particular plenty of 'blue' females. But to our dismay things appear have changed and during our visit we encountered very few butterflies. Perhaps Adonis Blues are late emerging this year, but in the past when we used to visit at the end of May there were always loads on the wing.

Adonis Blue Figsbury 29.5.24.

Three Adonis Blues seen and four Common Blues..

Common Blue Figsbury 29.5.24.

There was a surprise in the form of a single Marsh Fritillary..

Marsh Fritillary Figsbury 29.5.24.
Marsh Fritillary Figsbury 29.5.24.

Two Brown Argus, 1 Grizzled Skipper, 2 Dingy Skippers and a single Green-veined White..

Brown Argus Figsbury 29.5.24.
Dingy Skipper Figsbury 29.5.24.
Dingy Skipper Figsbury 29.5.24.
Green-veined White Figsbury 29.5.24.
Green-veined White Figsbury 29.5.24.

and a lovely Mother Shipton moth..

Mother Shipton Figsbury 29.5.24.
Mother Shipton Figsbury 29.5.24.

We saw no female Adonis or Common Blues. Perhaps the weather didn't help being dull and cool. We decided to visit again a little bit later to see if things would improve.

Figsbury Ring.
Figsbury Ring.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the info on Lydlinch Maximus :D I don't know about the Marshies at Odstock - they're on lots of down land round and about and relatively near by but I still have my doubts as to their providence :? Cracking Adonis shots, they practically 'ping' out of the screen :D and are you sure that's a Mother Shipton - where are all the grass blades obscuring the wings :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers,Wurzel, and thanks for the info. re. the Local Marsh Frits :) That Mother Shipton was behaving oddly for sure, or maybe I Photoshopped out the grass stems :wink: :lol:

Cotley 29th May

As there was not much happening at Figsbury I thought there was just time to pay another visit to Cotley. Leaving Figsbury and driving through Salisbury it was all dark clouds, but to the west I could see blue sky. So putting my foot down a bit, I made haste along the A36 arriving at Cotley at 4.15pm in lovely sunshine. There were no cars in the layby so I parked up and made my way onto the west side of the hill. As I walked along the sheltered dip next to the farmers field I soon encountered a couple of nice looking Marsh Fritillaries, one sitting on a blade of grass and the other nectaring on bramble.

Marsh Fritillary Male - Cotley 29.5.24.

As I walked further along the overgrown path I spotted a nice Grizzled Skipper basking on a bramble leaf..

Grizzled Skipper - Cotley 29.5.24.
Grizzled Skipper - Cotley 29.5.24.

and then about two feet away from it was my first Large Skipper of the year..

Large Skipper - Cotley 29.5.24.
Large Skipper - Cotley 29.5.24.

carrying on along the path another Marsh Frit. flew past me and settled on a plantain next to me..

the warm conditions caused several Marshies to sit with closed wings..

and several more with open wings..

I saw in total 12 to 15 Marsh Frits (all it the sheltered dip), two Large Skippers, two Dingy Skippers, two grizzled Skippers, one worn Wall Brown and numerous Small Heaths. I didn't see any Common, Adonis or Small Blues even though I walked along the diagonal upper track!

Cotley Hill.
Cotley Hill.
I spent an enjoyable couple of hours at this lovely site, it was well worth the late visit.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Marshies maximus and nice and fresh too 8)
"it was all dark clouds, but to the west I could see blue sky."I had the opposite yesterday when I was on my way back home from Warminster so all I saw was a single 'Murrf' :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”